Test Server?

Discussion in 'Archive' started by wealthysoup, Nov 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Trickster specifically-> Any chance of keeping atleast a small test server online all the time form now until release? (With ip and password in this forum)

Jephir seems to be having difficulty reproducing some of the bugs on a local server so may be a good idea to have the same server setup as there is when we find bugs during testing sessions

2. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

Unfortunately, the problem is that there is no way to debug a remote dedicated server (to my knowledge). Usually what I can do is create a listen server and Visual Studio will be able to debug that because the code is running on my machine. With a remote dedicated server the only thing I can do is look at the minidumps, and even that only works if we have the pdb's for the server dll (which to my knowledge we don't).

What I am trying to do right now is set up a dedicated server on my local machine so I can try to get Visual Studio to hook into it while it's running. I don't think I will be able to get this finished before the test starts though, so if we need to stop the server crashes in the meantime I recommend disabling achievements.

3. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

The most recent SVN build should have symbols (and thus the pdb's)

Yeah, I just updated the Steam depots to use build a0af18dbd468b924aca5a20453cb7f3989a347eb, and I'm going to go to Belgium (which is a ride of about 2 hours), so I'd recommend that as well.

4. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I can keep it running but it's no use if it doesn't get updated after every SVN push. Jephir has server access anyway so he can update and start it whenever he wants.

5. carmaster

carmaster Member

I have this machine in france: 2 x Intel® Xeon® E5620 (Westmere) 8x 2.4GHz, 64 Bits, Virtualisation
    24 Gb DDR3 ECC
    2 x 2 To SAS Raid 0 / Raid 1 HARD (H200) (2Tb)
    1 Gbit/sec

And i have a normal Empires server and Visual Studio installed in the machine (to compile different game's server files)

If you tell me how to debug the server i can make it so the output file is saved in a web directory or whatever ^^

6. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

How much do you pay for that per month? Sounds like a beast.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.