Test #20 - BUGTEST - Wednesday 8th August - 16:00 BST, 11am EDT, 8am PDT

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Trickster, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Apologies for the short notice, wasn't 100% sure whether I'd be able to attend until now. This should be a very short test, 20-30 minutes max. The overall aim is just to make sure that the problems listed as fixed here:

http://raegquit.com/log.php

are actually fixed. We'll flick through, make sure there's nothing breaking the game, and upon success (hopefully), schedule a full-scale playtest for Saturday. If all goes there, we playtest Sunday night, Monday night, Tuesday night, Wednesday night and so on, until we're ready to finally send this patch off.

One main issue left is that the game won't close properly. We're hoping this is just due to our testing method, but if anyone does happen to have any success dicking with gameinfo.txt or any shit like that, to make it close properly, then we can avoid leaving that in the patch, which we plan to do as it stands.

If you have the time and bandwidth, I would highly recommend doing a full redownload of the steam content version, as we've been having some issues with a few changes which aren't major enough for steam to think it's worth updating them to the clients. This might be why some people can customise vehicles, and some can't. We'll see in the test, but I'd try it out. Download and install GCFscape if you have time, so if we do still have that bug, we can see if you have encrypted script files or not within your GCF. You shouldn't have if it updated, but if you do then that might be causing the issues. You can find this out by opening empires_scripts.gcf (the test version one) and making sure everything is black. If anything is grey, then it's probably having some GCF encryption. Specifically, check the presets folder.

Thanks all, see you there.

2. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Just switched over to Testpires, checked the GCF beforehand and sure enough, the presets were encrypted and after updating they were all black. Ran the game and I can customize vehicles just fine now. Crosshair also works fine now.

Also, if I start up the game and then close it, it shuts down fine. If I start it up and enter a map then quit the game, it doesn't shut down right.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  3. Trickster

Jesus fuck I knew there was something I'd forgotten to note down ages ago. That's actually kind of bad because it means it probably won't fix when we go to full release.

4. Candles

If you open Testpires and run a map, it doesn't shut down properly, and Steam will think Source SDK Base 2007 is still running. BUT, if you then run Source SDK Base 2007, then close that, Steam will shut down properly.

Now, I know absolutely nothing about how Steam works, but I'm betting it's because the SteamAppId set in the gameinfo.txt is for Source SDK Base 2007.

5. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

Maybe doing verifying the integrity of the game cache would fix it for people instead of redownloading?
    Also there was a problem with the server, remote desktop had expired a couple of hours ago. I fixed it, everything should be normal again.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  6. Trickster

Tried verification, didn't update.

And yeah dw, there's a way of getting in even when it's expired. You just do like "mstsc /admin" in command line on your own PC, then log in as normal, and it bypasses the license expiry bullshit.

7. Trickster

All code issues seem to be sorted. I'll try and get the latest version of emp_money sorted for the next test, and if Keef is around, I'll ask him about Mvalley.

Biggest outstanding issue is that particles aren't showing up in some instances, so I'll try reverting to older particles, so I can see if it's a particle issue or a code issue.

If there's any one single thing left that I'd like to sort, it's that engineer buildables (slaughtered bridge + tower, isle bridges etc) don't take damage from seismics.

8. Ducky

Ducky 2D Artist

Oh. I was under the impression that this was meant to be a "feature".

9. Trickster

That depends on whether or not it gets fixed.

10. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

Yeh I know, I just didn't want "WHY CAN NOT INTO SERVER?! WAAAAAAAAH!" from people.

11. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

I think you're right about something going on with the app id. There's an assertion failure about the app id being invalid when a map is loaded. It's thrown from engine code though, which we don't have access.

12. Candles

Yes! +1 to my intuition!

13. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Bonus points if this means we can get achievements working

14. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

A weird thing about them achievements, I have 3 of the Empires ones, except they have no text on them.