Teamwork

Discussion in 'General' started by PHASER8, Jun 10, 2006.

1. PHASER8

PHASER8 Member

I've been noticing alot more lately of just how much the 'non clan members' are not team players but instead solo.
    And every time I play with a server full of clan members (BSID comes to mind) I notice that teamwork is the main priority.

Is it just me or does it seem like a good 80% of the solo players never actually listen but instead 'do their own thing'?

I dont mind playing with people that like to go solo in other games but in Empires its something that is required.
    As in there has been countless times where as a commander I would get bitched at for not building a Vehicle factory at the START of the game and when I do build one everyone gets all pissed after I lock it because everyone wants to fuck around in jeeps.
    It just pisses me off that hardly anyone I come across has even a remote chance in their brain of knowing how to participate with the rest of the team.

So my question would be:
    Is there anyway possible that can force teamwork on the players more?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2006
  2. jouwmakker

jouwmakker Member

any1 plays america's army??? i do!

50/50 of the players are doing some teamwork (if the server is not really full mostly then almost every1 goes solo)rifleman+heavy machinegunner doing a mop up together and team players stick to each other in case of ambushes

idea for teamwork
    -every1 should be in a squad from the start
    -giving extra points(for skill) when you help your squad (assist kill for example)
    -commander has the ability to punish ppl who doin there own thing all the time gets removed (for 2 minutes for example) and after that gets back into the game or execute them so they have 2 respawn again(the commander must be serious every jackass who will be commander can ruin the whole game)
    -spawn point next to your squad leader (if he isnt far from a barracks)

3. Half-Life_Maniac

Half-Life_Maniac Member

I always try to do something for the good of the team, whether or not my "team mates" do likewise. Often I'll be the only one healing anyone, or the only one to even have the revive skill.

It pisses me off when for instance, I'm trying to get my ML turret up in emp_district to try and reclaim our land, and all the nearby friendly engies are just standing around doing nothing while my turret is smashed to bits before I can even finish building it.

What we need is more team communication. Voice is the best way, but I can only think of one person right now other than me that even uses a microphone..

4. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

i dont have a prob with this. the empires comunity is so small yet dedicated that most the time there is only 1 or 2 soloers in a match, and that is probably a good number to have anyway.

5. Revolver

Revolver Member

Clans so far seem to be one of the better ways to get people to work together. I don't think that's a permanent fix, but I honestly can barely pull myself from my clan server BECAUSE of all the solo'ers.

6. PHASER8

PHASER8 Member

Heh
    I thought schools still taught that teamwork was essential...I guess that got canned somewhere along the lines because half the idiots...make that 3/4 of the idiots I play with dont know shit and are completely clueless when it comes to teamwork. If they think they're cooperating with the team then I fail them for life since life requires teamwork to succeed, I'd say about everything that mankind has achieved has been partly because of teamwork.
    A solo'er wouldnt of been able to land on the moon by himself easily for instance.

One thing I remember was that on another mod for HL2 ( I forget the name of the mod ) at the beginning of the game you chose a plan on how to deal with the situation at hand. Such as rushing certain ways and so on, very nice and all the team members knew the plan.
    I agree with you on the microphone as it generally takes too long to chat in game, countless times I've been shot cause I stopped to enter something in the chat.

One thing I'd love to see later on is the abillity to set the server to only allow 'trusted commanders' to be comm, as in a voting system possibly. This way we can keep noobs from touching the comm on highly populated servers as I find myself entering the comm at the very start to keep that bastard EMP_RECRUIT out of it ;)

Sometimes going solo can be good IF you know exactly what you're doing and it benefits the team ( distractions anyone?) but 'dicking around' as i've heard a few people from BSID say wouldnt be considered 'useful'.
    Although I dont know how hard it could be to design and successfully impliment such a system to promote more team work and keep the asshats from 'dicking around'.
    And then of course in general there are not enough players yet to 'avoid the fag fest of noobs', since generally there are maybe three or four servers tops running ( half usually with admins who ban you if you're better than them...so make that probably two servers online at any given time ;) ).
    I know its still beta and thats probably why there arent that many people so I wont start bitching anytime soon.

[RANT]Well I will continue to brainstorm idea's as its 5:30AM here and I've been up the past few hours watching Spirit: Stallion of the cimarron over and over so I think I might need some sleep soon...who the hell knows I am bored and my mind got fixed on the n00b sons of bitches who ruin the best game for me and others just because they have no clue as to how to work together to solve a problem...jesus thats one long ass post! [/rant]

7. Hikuso

Hikuso Member

That's sounds pretty good, i know this one program for Red orchestra,well i think it was originally for bf2 if i remember correctly, which you got the map of the "map" you're playing and you can put icons on it, draw arrows and whatnot there's also a chat where you explain whom does what etc.

ANYWHO.... What if at the start of each map, first you join a team, then that team votes on a commander (there needs to be a delayed start so everyone can connect after a mapchange, say 30-60 seconds until round start) that com is then put in charge of a similar thing ingame,basically the spawnmap and some "dots" to the side where the com can put objectives and such, where he may or may not layout for a plan (server should be able to set this feature on and off aswell as put a timelimit on devising a strategy).
    Oh and during the strategypart, ppl should be able to form squads via a special "squadbutton" which brings up a menu of squads alpha through foxtrot should be enough, first to join becomes the leader and everyone that wants to join that squad after needs approval (removes that pesky having to mark someone in a squad to join and such which, imo, only makes joining a squad more of a hassle than it should be...)

Blah, perhaps this should be in suggestions, but.... :(

Edit: This'll probably discourage the non teamplayers from playing on servers that has this feature turned on, a blessing or a curse?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2006
  8. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

Plan of Attack

9. FalconX

FalconX Developer

Isn't reading fun?

The squad system is not implimented as planned as yet. There will be various bonuses for fighting together with other players, and ways for the commander to punish those who aren't.

And forcing people to join squads is just a terrible terrible idea.

10. Lock N' Load

Lock N' Load Member

Most of the time when I do solo it is usually a Team helping tactic. Like Crossroads, right off the bat I grab the Scout Rifle and rush to my team's tower and either push back or stop enemy advance so my team can get stuff built(Refinerys, Comms, drop them when they can be built, not just because there's one scout at the enemies base trying to cap one of the enemy's unrefined Res nodes.). Or I'll Sneak attack the enemy and try to cripple defenses, this is a tactic that shouldn't have any team work since the less people there, the easier it is to hide and the less tickets lost if the attack fails.

But I do agree, Team work is needed and will sometimes loose the game for a team or over power and whip the other team.
    It's always both the Commander and the Infantry's fault. The Commander's fault because he won't drop the needed Structures and when they do, the Infantry won't build it or defend it, usually with most of the team moving forward or just asking for Ammo/Healing. Take cover, call it once, and if an Engie won't get you, he either sucks as an Engie or is busy. And if he doesn't help you, either suicide rush and say it was his fault for not doing what he should be doing or run back to base if it is close enough.

11. Hikuso

Hikuso Member

Falconx: Dunno where you read that anyone wants ppl to join squads.... just make it easier to create and join one.... Something along the line of CS/DOD's communicationmenus would be nice, clean and simple...
    *push the key assigned to the squad menu*
    something like the following appears at the lower lefthandside of the screen:

1:Alpha (0)
    2:Bravo (1)
    3:Charlie (0)
    4:Delta (3)
    5:Echo (0)
    6:Foxtrot (0)
    7:Gamma (0)
    8:Helo (0)
    9:Approve <--- greyed out
    0:Deny <--- greyed out

Now, pressing anything but 2,4,9 or 0 would result in you taking command of that squad, 9 or 0 does nothing unless you're a squadleader and someone applied to join your squad 2 and 4 would send a message to the appropriate squadleader that you indeed would like to join his or her squad, exactly like today, except less of a hassle imo....

Tho i have NO idea how hard this would be to sort out :\

12. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

on your own, you may feel like your doing well, but you most likely won't be. going solo as an anti infantry class and just killing them is as much wasting their time as it is wasting a slot of your team's player amount. simply destroying turrets won't help: they can be rebuilt. sure, it feels like progress but it won't be forcing the enemy back, and it won't win the game for your team.

I've seen teams of as little as four: two engies, a sniper and a grenedier literally march forward, stopped by nothing for more than, say, 30 seconds. this includes going through half a dozen turrets and men, and then destroying a small base. it's because they could back eachother up and help with whatever the other men needed.

and why. just why do some members of the brenodi team sit around the first spawn point wiht the AR, just shooting people. litrally crouched int the same position for minute after minute. arrrrrgg.

13. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

2 things id like to see is that squad are assigned by commanders, no more disobeying orders and not going with your team because you 'need' to get a skill.

Also I would like to see skills working immidiatly, anywhere anytime. No more running back to armory or barracks to activate it. Ofcourse only when you havent assigned a skill yet, when assigning a skill you need to get back to barracks to change it.

14. PHASER8

PHASER8 Member

Common at the beginning of each game with n00bs on the team:

Commander: Ok guys get out there and get those ref points, get that front line established as well
    N00b1: can i b comm???
    N00b2: when can we build planes?
    n00b3: omg wtf build a vehicle factory commander!
    Commander: Go get those damn ref points you idiots
    noobs 1,2 and 3 start a votekick to kick the commander

*sigh*
    I dont know about any of you but I am pretty sure building a VF when you only have one refinery is an extremely bad idea....

15. Empires Noob

Empires Noob Member

Yap, first the refs then the VF

16. Pumpinator

Pumpinator Member

17. Ermm ok!

Ermm ok! Member

i like the way NS commanders can reward players by issuing weapons and equipment to them , in much the same way as an empires comm can issue vehicals if he (or she) locks the pad.

There will always be rambos on your team. Sometimes they do some good , sometimes they donut jeeps off cliffs for half the match then ask where teh aircrafts are.

Anyone who is killing the other team is being of some use ;)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2006
  18. PHASER8

PHASER8 Member

*looks at my entire team*
    'Quit doing fucking donuts god damnit!'

Brilliant!

19. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Ever tried playing a game with only newbs on your team asking... how do I build... and a clan stack on the other team? that is not a fun game... Slaughter is more likley...

20. PHASER8

PHASER8 Member

Thats why you throw a bogus clan tag in your name and join the other team saying your with them and its a clan match ^_^