Targetting computers...

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by jongscx, Oct 13, 2008.

1. jongscx

jongscx Member

Especially with the addition of airplanes, but even now...

How about targetting computers that give us a bead on how far ahead to lead or how high to arc our weapons to hit a target?

Now, I know there's the whole thing about getting to know your weapon, and training and whatnot. But, as a new player, it gets a little testing to fire all my ammo at something just trying to figure out if I can hit it. Artillery is the same way, but worse, since I can't even see what I'm firing at half the time.

Yes, Arty-feedback is nice... but you have to wait to see where it lands, adjust, then wait again.

For balance, I'm thinking make this only available if there are engineered radars in range, or if you have a scout marking targets for you (*hint hint.. scout skill... *nudge nudge). But yeah... it's for us who can't bulls eye a womp rat from our t-16 back home...

2. President Dick

President Dick Member

Because human players are unpredictable, and can change course at any moment. Your computer can tell you to aim at coordinates X and Y, yet in the time before your projectile hits, the enemy could have moved and that information is no longer valid.

3. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

This will only give noobs a reason to complain when the rest of us can use the force.

4. jongscx

jongscx Member

That happens when you lead them anyway.

5. Zealoth

Zealoth Member

this would be the most anti noob thing ever ;p vets can dodge projectiles quite easily:D

6. President Dick

President Dick Member

Exactly, so hows a computer going to help?

7. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

X3 uses a target prediction computer and it works fine, you just have to learn when to shoot, as you do now, the only thing that's removed is the need to memorise the travel speed and arc of all the weapons.

8. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

In freelancer, an extra cross hair is added to each enemy, if you shoot at it you will hit the enemy if he stays a bit on course

hope this is helpful!

9. Empty

Empty Member

I say we have a pair of weapons.

The Computer Targetted Cannon
    and the Computer Targetted Artillery Cannon

Both of them display a simple GUI that has a trajectory drawn and shows you where it will hit. Make them heavy, and about as powerful as a Long Range cannon [minus the long range] and Medium Artillery Cannon respectively.

Noob friendly, but it'll hurt you in the weight department. Put it under electronic with guided MLs.

10. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Why not add it to ER cannon and medium arty by default?

Neither of those have any other major benefit, and ER cannon is a perfect candidate because of its nature.

11. Starcitsura

Starcitsura Member

I would like something telling me the distance to a target, and a cross hair matched with that, so range finding isn't quite as much guess work. This would be a great help to arty and mortar

12. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

this makes me think of starsiege(no not tribes, the old one with mechs) it had a targeting follow system and it worked well for judging distances regaurdless of what weapon your useing or how much the enemy is turning. just knowing what kind of ballpark your throwing into is quite useful.

the problem is you had to cycle targets and not having that would clutter the screen in a heartbeat.

13. Empty

Empty Member

Yes yes, we've all seen it. That's not the point of discussion though.

14. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

well my 'story' or 'experience' is still relative in the respect of you will maybe need the same things to implement in your idea, like cycleing targets. The knowledge that this may have been utilized before to much success is various other games may not actually be as common knowledge as you may think. And a forseeable problem of having too cluttered of a UI if you do not go same route as the game I previously discussed.

15. Empty

Empty Member

Yeah.
    Well.

Uh.

16. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

Both ideas seem more then reasonable, i strongly suggest this!

17. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

i like the idea of making it a new weapon for tanks (replace guided missiles with this, give it to arty by default).

what about infantry? go without? make it skill? make it research?

18. jongscx

jongscx Member

My suggestion would have been to give it as a class-skill for grens and have it be usable for their mortar/rpg and any vehicles. Again, it would work in tandem with a scout or engie radar and would only track vehicles or spots where the scout did the "I request artillery fire... blah blah..."

As for the GUI, I suggest just having another orange diamond with a line connecting the two. Or perhaps a diamond with an X through it as the "fire here" target.

Now, another issue I'm seeing is how this will work for when you have an arc weapon set as prim and a missile as sec... or if you have 2 weapons with different travel speeds... (you'd have to lead more with one, etc...) or ranges (lower arc)