Target Painting and Artillery

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Androc, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Androc

Androc Member

As it is right now, target painting doesn't really seem all that useful. It tells you where you're firing at, sure, but unless you're an absolute EXPERT with artillery, (unlikely, as it's deployed pretty infrequently) it'll take you a few shots to get it dead-on. By which point anything with an ounce of sense will be long gone.

So, here's my suggestion: When an artillery unit is looking towards a painted target, their HUD gets an indicator of where they would have to fire to make their shot land at that position. This'll make artillery a good deal more powerful, but that's as it should be. When artillery and a decent spotter are on the field, it should become a priority of the enemy's to remove it. Still, this new power could be compensated for with an increased deployment cost.

Anyway, just my two cents.

2. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

have you tried the grenadiers arty skill? it shows on the mini map where your shells land.. combine that with long range arty shells and you can do some damage

3. Androc

Androc Member

Granted, but you still have to take those first few shots in the dark, then zero in. The idea is that having a scout on the field should allow you to place shells quickly, exactly where they'll do the most damage.

4. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

So you want the scouts spotting to give the people in arty tanks a skill?

Im not sure how that would work with the current balancing but it is an interesting idea..

in 2.0 scouts are usally more about sabotage.. they can get points when they paint a target that gets destroyed.. but usally for me I get the commander to paint targets and as a gren I hit it on the 2nd shot

5. Androc

Androc Member

Yes, but it's something that benefits the scouts directly. After all, if you can see it, it can see you. The sooner it gets nuked into oblivion, the better.

So, this could probably be added on to target painting as it stands right now, or it could be a new grenadier skill. It MIGHT work as a new scout skill, but I doubt it would see much usage.

6. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

Actually you'd be surprised at how many times I've seen tanks drive by enemy units without them (guy in tank) even noticing (especially if you're a cloaked scout), infantry might be different story as they do have more freedom, though there are exceptions =P. (Mind my graphical settings) [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2007
  7. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

This is a GREAT idea. I support this 100%

8. thaile

thaile Member

Lol took me a while to figure out what pope picture was, until I notice the prone scout.

Anyway I remember people discussing this way back when, before scouts got there new abilities as a way to make them more useful. I like the idea then and I still do.

9. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

i'll be damned a new member with coherent posts and not batshit crazy ideas.... my hope in mankind is restored.

Seriously, though. I think it's kind of a coin flip, because as is, arty doesn't really need much of a buff. HOWEVER it WOULD be nice, having a visual indicator--

the thing is, and I could very well be wrong about this, but i thought that artillery semi-locked onto painted scout targets already. I don't know how the mechanics works, but I'm almost 100% positive that artillery will lock on anyway. If this is the case, i really don't see an issue with just giving a HUD visual indicator of this.

But like i said, why buff the arties? The only reason I see this being useful is because it would make scouts more useful IN CONJUNCTION with arties. This, of course, I heartily approve.

10. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

It's not really about buffing arties, but making the targeting mechanic easier.

11. Androc

Androc Member

If artillery are already so powerful, they could be nerfed slightly. As I already mentioned, the cost could be increased; or, their firing rate could be decreased. That would emphasize the value of having a spotter more, as you would really need to make each shot count.

12. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

In my opinion artillery is good as it is. It costs very much, one artillery costs around 1000 resources, even more than a heavy tank.

Also Grenadier's artillery feedback skill is enough good. It doesn't immediatelly tell you where you are going to hit so it doesn't make artillery too powerful but you have to try a few times before you start hitting to the target.

13. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

that and scout spotting allows any class to use artillery with feedback, without needing the skill unlocked.

14. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

Still, we want to give some reason for a scout to actually paint targets for an arty, and an arty to want a scout to paint him targets. Making a visual indicator of around where you would need to aim would be awesome and encourage scouts + arty to work together.

15. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

But isn't it already like that?

Scout spots a target, it appers on the minimap. Artillery starts shooting it with artillery feedback. After a few shots the target is dead. Artillery gets a point at killing unit and scout gets point at spotted target being killed.

16. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

When was the last time you saw that happen? Exactly. A commander can do the job, and do it much better than a scout can currently with attack orders. To make the scout a more efficient spotter, he needs some added bonus to his ability to paint targets so that an arty would rather have a scout do the targeting than his commander because the scout is more efficient.

17. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

perhaps the free and easy mass target attack command from commanders is too powerful

18. arklansman

arklansman Member

Gren squad leaders should be able to use their squad power on scout marked targets. :)

19. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

That's actually a pretty good idea =o

20. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

that's genius. that's amazing.