tanks need more kick

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by angry hillbilly, Jan 25, 2008.

1. angry hillbilly

angry hillbilly Member

i know the game is still in development but i feel that the tanks and arty need more kick when they fire. especialy when arty fires the shell just exits the gun, no kick. and also on the heavy tanks i think there should be a heavy HE shell which takes up 3 slot cannon and when fired big deep boom and screen shakes for players near by.

2. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

First suggestion: It doesn't happen on arty because otherwise it would be impossible to aim because your view would change every time you fired.

Second suggestion: That's called HE arty, it's on the arty tank.

3. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

First Suggestion:

Billy: I agree
    Chris: Then make a better aiming system.

4. Slamz

Slamz Member

I just want to know why my tank doesn't have a brake...

5. REX

REX Member

6. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Why? This one is quite sufficient.

Because it's a tank, where do you propose we attach the pads?

7. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

^^ give a lt more kick when he shoots and moves and you have auto-flip ^^

8. REX

REX Member

As far as I know and have seen tanks have some of the best brake systems in the world.

9. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Put the tank into reverse and it will stop, or at least it will stop as fast as you can expect several tons of motorised metal travelling at high speed to stop.

10. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

i think he means to stop it rolling around when you are trying to stay still. I'd love a handbrake for such situations.

11. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Oh that.

It can be somewhat annoying, but I haven't been severely hindered by it, and if it's because you're trying to use arty, I would suggest that you shouldn't be able to use it on slopes.

12. REX

REX Member

they have breaks I have seen break tests of the Abrahams and danish leopard tanks and they use shorter length to stop than most cars at the same speed. Mechanical full stop breaking systems that simply stop the threads. smoking and probably very unpleasant for the crew but 70 tons will stop very fast.

I think the gearbox would explode if you set it into reverse at full speed.

13. MomoZMonster

MomoZMonster Member

some sort of anchor for arty just makes sense. Takes a few seconds to deploy/undeploy.

14. angry hillbilly

angry hillbilly Member

i think the turrit on all tanks/arty should recoil at least like tanks and arty do in the real world

15. Dr. Nick

Dr. Nick Member

It doesn't really matter much for the arty, I often just get the commander th lay a wall behind my arty tank so that I don't get pushed back.

16. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

Any videos of that kind of braking? I would like to see at least one. :cool:

17. REX

REX Member

18. Contraceptive SpongeBob

Contraceptive SpongeBob Member

IIRC, in 1.0, the arty and tanks did kick back alot when you fired. They changed that. One option, is to have arty "planting", where feet come down and hold it in place. In this mode, the arty would be able to rotate the gun and pitch it, but not move. In the "unplanted" mode, it would be able to move and turn, but not fire or move the gun. But self propelled (and stationary) arty usually has massive recoil compensation, the whole barrel goes back several feet after each shot.

19. Slamz

Slamz Member

Real tanks do have brakes, yes. Even World War 2 tanks had brakes. They didn't just rely on the transmission.

Actually, if you want to make the tanks in Empires feel more "real", go buy a month's worth of "World War 2 Online" (MMO) and play around with the tanks in training mode. That game has gone through pains to make tanks as realistic as possible. Far more realistic than a game like Empires would actually want to model, I think, but still, it might give ideas to play with.

Empires simulates recoil by angling the barrel up and pushing the tank backwards, whereas a real tank would not move or change the angle of the barrel relative to the chassis, but would instead rock the entire chassis along the suspension, leaving your barrel at the original angle (once you rocked back into your original position). Artillery recoil is built into the barrel and stabilizers.

I think it's just one of those "playability" vs "realism" things, though. Empires is probably better off for not having tanks that can accurately shoot each other from 2 kilometers away.

...but I'd still like a brake.

20. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

It's far harder to aim when you're moving and the enemy tank is moving too. So there is no need to make aiming harder by making cannon kick bigger.

There's just a small problem: it's hard to control your tank when reverse has 4 times more power than it had in 1.07. We need handbrake. Fuck realism. Gameplay is more important than realism (with precise steering there is something to learn, not just "choose loadout, and click as fast as you can")