Tank Turret balancing

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Trid3nt, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

The Situation

At the moment, the only way to balance specific tank turrets is the damage or the heat.

The Solution

Change the way tanks' turrets turn.

How?

Give a certain area where tank cannons can move (see here). After this area, the tank turret will move, though slightly slower than the speed we have at the moment. Once the player reaches the direction he/she wants to face, they can aim with the cannon normally.

Tank cannons which are heavier will move slower, and cannons which are lighter will be faster. The cumulative amount of weapons is what is counted

What will this result in?

Pro

-Tank combat is more tactical - turning to present full armour, while shooting, is not feasible, therefore decisions have to be made, Shoot, turn or retreat

-Tank combat feels more immersive (surely that's a word!). Players don't feel that tanks are an extension of infantry combat, but a different type of combat entirely

-Heavily armed tanks are harder to turn - therefore lighter tanks are better against infantry. Heavy tanks need to have support.

Con

-Infantry may have an advantage where they did not before

Alternatives

-Make tank turrets move slower

-Tank turrets moved by arrow keys (Red orchestra style)

2. angry hillbilly

angry hillbilly Member

I like the idea all the way. ^^

And the 1 con that you have might not apply to new NF heavys cus it has side guns. This idea could be one of the ways of getting more variaty of tanks on the field as descussed in other threds.

another con would be with the fact that NF would suddnly have a huge advantage over BE in the sense of balance, cus light tanks would the the infantay killers but the AFV's would lose some of its edge if you see what i mean. The BE would suddnly lack an inf killer when the NF had one.

3. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

Not if the BE AFV had a faster default turn speed...

Also, the NF heavy wouldn't be affected that much, it would just affect the turret, and the side turrets would follow it, as much as they could.

4. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I like the idea of tanks having traverse speeds, and a bit stronger pitch clamping.

I'm not sure about the limited yaw though, I'd prefer a uniform yaw all the way round.

5. Lollum

Lollum Tester++

Oh yeah, Red Orchestra-ish turrets. That would be great.

angry hillbilly:
    That might be fixed when the new jeeps are implemented. I mean, the light tanks would still have an advantage over the afvs, but if you need an infantry-killer, you can just take a jeep.

6. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

1. Find someone who will implement it.
    2. Too complicated. There are already tons of confusing things in Empires and you want more.

7. angry hillbilly

angry hillbilly Member

I think to put it straight and make it easy on codeing just make diffenant turning speeds with diffent tanks + cannons easy ^^

8. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

Wrong. You also have ammunition, how long cannons take to reload, how fast the cannon moves, and even how much the cannon moves in the wind.
    Cannons don't need to be changed with how fast a cannon can aim. That would ruin part of tank fighting.

9. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

whats wrong with tanks?

10. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

I dunno, they just feel as if they have a hyperactive kid powering the turrets, especially when you have an increased mouse sensitivity

11. angry hillbilly

angry hillbilly Member

I know what Trid3nt means. Tanks turrets are hyper at turning and it just doesnt make it very fun trying to sneek up on something when it suddnly turns in a millesecound. Tanks need set turret turning speeds.

Turret speed is how the sherman was able to beat the tiger cus it could go round it faster that the tiger turret could turn.

12. flatmush

flatmush Member

Turret speeds would be nice, but leave them pretty quick so the only time you have to wait for your turret to catch up is if you turn +/- 45 degrees or more.

13. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Slow turrets, low speed and not beeing able to climb like in duststorm but
    giving them more killingpower would make better heavys.

I love to see heavys that crawl to you, turn their turret slowly in your
    direction and than BOOOOOOOOOM. ^^

14. Empty

Empty Member

It'll be like when puppy is playing.

"I spotted a heavy!"
    "wtf?BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom"

15. fireIIC

fireIIC Member

I like this idea.
    This has been posted before, but it could also help out vehicles becoming more crew dependent, because a a top gunner would be needed for keeping infrantry away.

16. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

Really, the idea I had was more an implementation idea. If that's too complicated then slow down the turret speeds.

17. Doggeti

Doggeti Former Developer

18. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

stickies ftw?

19. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

If I could I would trade of how every shot throws the barrel out of place with slower traversing speed and do it in a heart beat.