Tank Spotlights

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Empty, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Empty

Empty Member

Can the devs please:
    Reenable flashlights for vehicles.
    Make this the default settings for flashlights

Code:
    r_flashlightfar 9000
    r_flashlightfov 30
    r_flashlightlinear 500

The result is a thinner flashlight that's much more effective at long distance (preventing the shitty flashlight which fades at 2m)

It looks better on tanks and yeah.
    The only issue is that those commands are cheats, preventing us from changing them ourselves. Personally I don't see why flashlight tweaks are a cheat, but hey.

Lemme get a screen.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Demented

Demented Member

Since your flashlight stays on if you have it turned on when you hop into a vehicle... Does this result in two flashlights? (!!!)

You can turn them into fullscreen floodlights that eliminate any hint of darkness. Though thanks to max brightness settings this is a rather moot point. At least haxxed up flashlights would look better.

3. Empty

Empty Member

Well it's not like we're playing FEAR 3: Return of the lack of light entities.

On the ground the flashlight works too, it's mostly just a fix to the ridiculous falloff range on the flashlight, and it doesn't look terrible as an infantry flashlight. So the variables can just be set for both flashlights (not that there's actually 2, there's only one and you can't have two at once because you just can't)

The idea is to remove the hardcoded unbind of flashlights when you're in a tank and put these values up as standard. I reckon if a server ran them they might work, when I connected to viper with the settings it reverted to default, so my guess is it automatically switches to the servers settings. It would be interesting to see it in action, and server owners can do it right now. hint hint

4. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

cant the devs just code in a command that turns off your flashlight when entering a vehicle and then enables this vehicle flashlight?

it doesn't seem that hard to me

5. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

I like the new flashlight.

But beside of this I think dark maps are always bad for multiplayer games.
    Depending on your monitor you can adjust the brightness and contrast that you see enough on dark maps. But then the map often looks like shit and monitor settings shouldn't be a tactical part for the game.

6. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

If tank areas are lighted and back-alley infantry areas are darkened, then I don't have a problem with it.

Maps shouldn't be uniformly dark and should always have the main pathways decently lighted.

7. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

I don't really like implementing a workaround like this, it needs a real fix. There should be some code from the OB sdk to do this.

8. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Turning off your infantry flashlight is an easy if check, activating the light on the tank in the case of a dark map is yet another if check. I'd be more worried about the performance impact, though there are different methods of rendering a flashlight, like dynamic lights or a texture, or a projected texture, which is used in the orange box.

9. Empty

Empty Member

Pay attention please.

This is the regular flashlight with alterred client values, it tightens the beam and brightens it over range making it useable in vehicles

It doesn't need any code other than enabling the 'flashlight' button in vehicles which is disabled for some reason and then putting these r_ values as the server defaults.
    It's a workaround yes, but it's not expensive, doesn't break the game, and it will take a full 2 minutes to fix. That's why I suggested it this way, I laid everything out for the developers short of tracking down the vehicle flashlight disable code and pasting in a fix for it. Because I knew people would overcomplicate it and shit.

We don't need complicated, it doesn't matter what you tell mappers they'[ll make dark maps, it doesn't need to be different for infantry and tanks, the same values are fine for either, it isn't ugly, and it's a very very very quick and easy solution.

So.
    Just. Do. It.

No. This is fine, it works fine, I found it much better. What we need is this done quickly, and then focus being put back on all the other important issues we have. You've played SVN recently right? Then you'll know how many bugs you guys have to track down. If you can't find a job better than coding a full rewrite of the flashlight code then get hooking up some god damn particles.

10. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

If you can reduce performance impact on something without reducing quality, then you should do that. I don't see why you'd just copy paste the code when making it cheaper is better in the long run.

11. Empty

Empty Member

WE DON'T NEED TO COPY PASTE ANY CODE

WE JUST NEED TO REMOVE THE LINE WHICH DISABLES YOUR FLASHLIGHT INSIDE A VEHICLE

THEN MAKE THESE 3 CVARS THE DEFAULTS

PLEASE LISTEN SOLOKILLER
    caps

12. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

I'm sure no-one will complain if we optimize the code anyway, i don't get why you're so annoyed by it.

13. Empty

Empty Member

Because when you developers say "It's just a 2 second code change, we'll put it on the list of things to do"

It never happens.
    Ever.
    The only time stuff like this happens is when it's either utterly breaking the game or a dev spends a few hours putting it together of their own accord and commits it.

14. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

il shake hands with the first game developer that realises you can simulate night by using darkish black and white filters as if you would look trough a weak infra red camera

15. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

that's completely off topic but I would totally grasp the that developers other hand. I've been thinking for ages since I did some night excersizes in cadets how games always have colourful night times, yet people see in black and white mostly when it's dark.

16. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Agreed. Having spent many O nights out in the wild (thanks Boy Scout club) its pretty damn dull colored at night unless you have high powered light source or great LED lights. Trying to discern the color of anything with the light of a camp fire(even a LARGE bonfire), I would wager is near impossible.

17. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Rods and cones, right? Rods are highly sensitive but cannot perceive colour, whereas cones are not that sensitive, but can.

18. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

hmm and i always thought id see in blue, darkblue, and black at nights. unless there is some colored light source ofc - then its tinted differently :P

19. teh_ham

teh_ham Member

lol @ offtopic-ness of this thread

20. Empty

Empty Member

It seems my efforts have failed.