Tank Splosions ideas?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Dannyboy, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Dannyboy

Dannyboy Member

Instead of the instant jump 1 foot in the air explosion that tanks normally have now, how about, if the tank is still moving, it continues then 1 second after explodes so like this.

Tank | Tank still moving for a second | Tank explodes w/ turret popping off or some other cool effect, etc. etc.
    \____/- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - \____/
    ^
    Finishing blow

and if the tank is stationary, then just skip the moving part and it blows a second later.

Also, maybe some random times when the tank gets hit in the rear, a larger explosion than normal happens because of it hitting the ammo/fuel cache.

I feel like this would add some nice dynamic awesomeness to the game, and maybe if the Devs have the time, add some different animations for the destruction of tanks? like multiple explosions and things like that.

Pros
    Nice eye candy and something different.
    Could be used to make a base for critical tank damage and other future ideas.

Cons
    No real advantage to gameplay
    Not urgent or needed

Alternates
    Current tank destruction system

2. zenarion

zenarion Member

I like it. Could really expand upon this one, having tanks and vehicles fall apart into several bits. Same goes for future aircraft, with wings blowing off, engines spiraling away etc. It can all be client-side, and not troubling the server. Why not.
    Only thing is, that it would take a lot of work that doesn't add to gameplay.

3. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

i like it, but it the "drives another 10 meters" concept seems like an inf nightmare

4. Dannyboy

Dannyboy Member

Well, the amount it drives could always be subjected to tweaking.

5. Omneh

Omneh Member

On the other hand, it could be said that it would take a lot of work that would add immensely to the (rather lacking) visual appeal of the mod.

6. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I'm already working on tank explosions, I need to perfect my actual explosion technique though, I'm not quite happy with it at the moment.

7. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

the cannon flying off sounds like a good idea, and maybe wheels rolling away, OOOOOOHH thank god for func_physbox-valve-source-engine-spamming-like-when-you-create-a-building-and-clip-tool-some-of-it-and-turn-those-smaller-clips-into-func_physboxes.

8. SirSnipes

SirSnipes Member

mega mooka baysa BAYSPLOSION

9. Demented

Demented Member

There'd need to be an immediate way to determine whether a tank is killed.
    Wouldn't want tankers wasting unnecessary shots shooting already dead tanks, would we?

10. Fabrizio

Fabrizio Banned

make it jump up all the way to the skybox, instead of 1 foot in the air.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  11. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

yeh tank explosions are really important. id say drain all dev power to make them look nice. :rolleyes:

12. Empty

Empty Member

I made some effects before I realised getting code support for particle effects (a full 2 lines of code!) wasn't ever going to happen.

13. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

14. Empty

Empty Member

It's a little bit large and the shape isn't very good. You also need more burning giblets.

15. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I wasn't actually asking for your opinion, especially as it isn't very accurate, I need to redo it enitrely, and I will, until it works properly.

16. Empty

Empty Member

It seems very accurate since you plan on remaking it coz it looks like ass.

17. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I'm not remaking to to change the shape or add more burning bits, I'm remaking it to change the style. I am merely illustrating that it's very easy to make large explosions for tank deaths.

In the highly unlikely event that I need you to tell me how to do that, I'll tell you to, until then, please don't offer your opinion unsolicited, because it is almost certainly going to be entirely unhelpful.

18. o_O

o_O Member

Would be sweet to see little charred pieces fly off the tank, like a wall but explodier.

19. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeL9LRQsyBY

In theory you could cinematic physics the tank but you'd probably have to stop it dead when it explodes, or possibly blow a chunk off it, like the turret could explode.

Only problem is that it would clip through cliffs and stuff.

I suppose you could just blow gibs off it. Particle fireballs look a bit crap I think, but a good explosion, maybe with some shaking and possibly a colour correction flare to tint the screen and you should have something nice looking.

20. pbstrein

pbstrein Member

About this, i think there needs to be an option to show this. Because for me, i have a Radeon 7000 (i really need a better one). I can barely play empires as is, and if you add all that, i wont be able to play at all. So i think it sounds good, but if u can raise the min requirements or make it an option with the video options.