Tank shells should fly faster

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Aurora, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Aurora

Aurora Radiating love, empathy and maternal instincts

...about 5 times faster, and a bit further as well. Tank battles would be a lot more exciting from greater distances. At the moment, you have to predict whether to aim 45 degrees left or right, even when the enemy is within 10 meters from you. More speed, more distance, less prediction! Note that I'm not asking this for the sake of realism, but rather for the sake of improved/more enjoyable gameplay.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2007
  2. Chahk

Chahk Member

In that case, ML turrets should have 5x the radius as well to prevent tanks sniping them from just outside their range. While you're at it, make grenadier's rockets go 5 times faster to catch up with faster tanks too.

I think my point is that you can't change something without reflecting on other gameplay components. Tank speed and shell speed is pretty well balanced right now and changing it this late is just asking for trouble. Besides, I'd rather have tank driving require skill than becoming a point-and-click exercise as you propose.

3. Aurora

I disagree. Nothing else should be touched, turrets nor the grenadier's weapons.

I'm not talking about a huge increase in range, only something between 120% and 150%. The added advantage that tanks would have when engaging turrets would be a positive thing, since turrets really need to be nerfed in my opinion. A level 2/3 turret outranges tanks overwhelmingly already.

The SPEED is what I want increased. The shells would have to be made heavier too, to prevent the range from increasing too much. Perhaps a multiplier of 5 is too much after all, let's say... 3?

I don't think you understand. It wouldn't be any more point-and-click than it is now. Tanks will simply fight each other from greater distances, which is how I think it should be. At greater distances, the tanks will also be able to dodge just as well as they can at short distances, firing slower-flying shells.

Perhaps I worded it improperly when I said "less prediction", I really meant that prediction shouldn't be so annoyingly necessary at close quarters. When you can engage enemy tanks at greater distances, then there will actually be some long-distance tank combat, and less close-quarters tank combat. There is nearly no long-distance tank combat at the moment, except with artillery tanks, but those are completely different.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2007
  4. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I was thinking this recently, but it's really hard to call. it could also make the game a whole lot LESS fun too.

5. Caelo

Caelo Member

I want long range tank battles and zoom function on tank :)
    (I know never going to happen)

6. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

Um.

You do know that heavier stuff doesn't fall faster, right?

7. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Don't standard cannons fire farther than standard artillery as it is?

I think this is fine, 16x maps, maybe we can have a change, but with maps this small, we can't really have such distanced tank battles.

I vote a strong no

Also, greater speed + greater weight

Won't someone please think of the momentum!

8. Chahk

Chahk Member

Tanks would become unstoppable if this were to happen.

I read your "5 times" bit as 500%, which is a bit extreme. 120-150% is too much also, imho. At that distance you'd be hard pressed to even see your opponent's tank.

Perhaps faster projectiles would make long-range battles possible, but would make close-quarters battles a lot less skill-based, and a lot more "who fired first wins" -based.

What you call "annoying prediction", I call "skill". It sure seems a lot easier to sit far away and try to snipe the enemy tank, than to close in and try to circle around your opponent and try to out-gun him.

You will need a lot more room on the maps before that can happen. Most current maps just don't have enough open space for true long distance tank fighting anyways.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2007
  9. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

What I would really like for the 1.08 tanks to have the same reverse power they had in 1.071; especialy the NF light... Currently it IS point and click because of this; in 1.071 I like to jerk back and foward unpredicatble causing the enemy to miss alot of shots, in 1.08 this is hard to achive as the revearse os so weak :(

I wouldn't mind a small increase in projectile speed; just a slight one... (Though really the shells don't feel like shells; possibly due to the lack of a pretty explosion; or due to the speed they fly... But by no means would I like to see tanks turn into a point and click situation)

10. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

I vote no ONLY because the maps aren't big enough to allow for really long range battles; that's what artillery is for. Were things more realistic and the developer goal was to reflect real tank battles, then I would vote a strong yes.
    But as we all know, realism is teh fail in empires. Ergo, no vote.

I WOULD like the Grenadier Rocket to go faster. REALLY bad. I can not hit JACK SHIT with that rocket unless I'm literally 10 feet away from the tank. Especially when I'm against HeadshotMaster, and he goes forwards and backwards really fast and my shots miss by half a mile.

But then again, that might just be me sucking with the RPG. Idk.

11. Caelo

Caelo Member

meh you ahve to predict where the vehicle is moving to in order to hit it with the grenadier rocket.. (yes even if you guide it)

12. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

I wouldn't mind seeing an increase in the speed of the grenadier rockets, but I'm not so keen on the tank ones.

13. Aurora

I doubt it.

I also meant 500%. I agree it's a bit much, so I think 300% would be more suitable. If that's extreme to you, how about a compromise of 200%? And why are you talking about distances? I mentioned that the range should stay pretty much the same if not a little bit higher, by also increasing shell weight as we increase it's speed. So in this case 200% would mean double-speed and almost-double weight.

Again I think you're assuming that range would be 500% of the current. I'm not suggesting a range change that extreme, mostly just a change of speed.

What if the shells flew 10 times slower? Then you would need to come even closer, if not actually ram your enemy, to be able to hit.
    Now, if the shells flew 10 times faster and had a range 10 times longer, that would be the definition of point-and-click.
    None of the two above configurations are suitable. I think the perfect configuration is somewhere a bit above (faster) than the current one.

With a 200% speed increase, close-quarters combat would surely be somewhat easier. But then again, tanks would no longer fight as close to each other as they do now, keeping a little more distance, which evens out the skill-requirement-drop in close-quarters combat. There would be a new type of skill needed; positioning. You'd have to think a bit more about where you attack from, do you have any cover behind which you can hide, can you ambush the enemy tank from behind, etc.

Again, not meaning a change as radical as you might think.

Almost every single time I can spot a tank way before I can even consider hitting it. I think there's enough room in most maps. Range wouldn't increase all that much, like I've said. A range increase of 120% would be perfect, while speed would be doubled at 200%. That would mean weight should be increased a bit less than 200%.

I agree. I think ALL rockets/missiles should be faster. Nobody really uses them with tanks, or so I have observed.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2007
  14. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

long range tank battles come when infantry support can protect the tank when a tank comes nearby.

the only game I really know with instant cannon speed is BF 2 / 2142 or halo 2, and in both games tank combat is essentially who clicks first wins. litterally nothing more to it than that.

----------------------------

as for increasing the grenadier rocket speed, I have been 100 percent behind this for ages. guiding your rocket to hit things is VERY difficult, and i do consider myself good with the rocket. it's fine to hit something that hasn't seen you, but if that LT see's you then it doesn't matter if it gets to 30 feet away, you're not likely to hit it.

also, guiding a rocket into a far away tank takes about 15 seconds....

15. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Here's a suggestion:

Fire up 1.07. Edit the weapon scripts yourself to increase shell speed. Do some tank battles with someone else and report back.

16. Aurora

Unfortunately that doesn't happen often or at all.

17. Chahk

Chahk Member

Beerdude is probably most familliar with weapon scripts (besides Krenzo of course ;) ). If he helps with changing shell speed values, I'd volunteer to help test it on 1.07.

18. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

It's one line per weapon in the script. It should take you a few seconds to change them.

19. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

I made minor changes to the vehicle, and tbh i'd rather see a few nerfed, I don't have much time though to fuck around with the scripts.

20. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Yeah I hardly balanced anything about the vehicles :o