Tank Jumping

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Lock N' Load, May 31, 2006.

1. Lock N' Load

Lock N' Load Member

Currently, getting in and out of tanks is like switching weapons. It's just to slick. And, me being one of the hard core Grenadir's I hate when I take all the time and trouble to evade machinegun bursts like Raiden with a Stinger on his shoulder, dodge missiles better than Neo dodges bullets, watch grenades bounce by like super calls, use my sprint wisely to stay next to them, then use their own tank as cover from their team, just to have them pop out and kick my pistol weilding butt.
    So, my suggestion is, have a tank exit and entrance animation. (Don't Flame me for useing this.) Halo had it work nicely by having the character open the hatch, pull him self out, then jump off the tank and then have a second long wait before you went back to first person view to use your weapons. This way, you are vurnable to gun fire while jumping out of your tank so people will need better team support to use them more effectively, rather than self supporting. Same for crews, have them have to jump out of the turret or open a hatch for APCs before getting out.
    AND
    To get rid of Fair Weather Tank Commanders, have destroyed tanks expload and be able to deal good damage to the last person in them so they don't jump out when they hit the Red Zone and just bail, which is one of the few ways Grenadirs get their rank points since Armour is 1 point, 2 for one manned Armour, and if you are lucky enough you can get some good points from taking down an APC filled with enemies... Of course, there are mines but there is a certian saticfaction I get, and some others get, when they know they just killed a guy through a few inches of tank armour who thought they were good enough to use a Tank effectively.

Or, if you hate all of that, have Tank Engines louder even when idel / Have a loud turn off sound so they can tell when someone is getting out so 'Nadirs can more effectively tell if their getting out or not, so they atleast have a chance to get their pistol out so they can scare the crap out of them or kill them.

Thank you.

2. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

Sounds like a good idea, an animation like in GTA would be cool as well.

Plus, people in the backs of APC's should be able to simply jump out the back

3. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

halflife2 buggy also has an animation, im for it :)

4. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

only for FP though.

5. Jimather

Jimather Member

just posting my support for this idea.

6. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

Ditto

7. Geogriffith

Geogriffith Master Debater and Conflict Resolutionist

This would be nice, you'd be able to see engineers getting into/out of their tanks. And it is rather annoying to try and take out an enemy tank at close range, only to have the driver pop in and out and whittle you down.

8. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Also ditto.

9. Deiform

Deiform Member

Hmmm, the half life 2 buggy aniimation isn't actually an animation. It's a fake one that only appears on the users screen, to everyone else the player just jumps to the seat.

I'm not sure if Source supports this :confused:

10. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

also the person in the tank could get out on top of the tank that way when it blows up they would go down with it even if they got out 1 sec before... i think also if your in a building that blows up everybody in the building should die too.. big explosion sprites would be cool also

11. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

it doesnt have to be a real animation, aslong as there is a delay for the entering and exiting a vehicle

12. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

an animation might be to hard to make, but what if when you press the key to get out, a filling barr apears and 5 seconds later you pop out of the tank, being unable to move or do anything the next 2 seconds and on end the filling (progress) bar is filled

13. Revolver

Revolver Member

I like the idea. I've noticed it too, and it's annoying if you're in an AFV (not LT). Because then you have to drive around, get some distance, and hope your cool enough to start painting the walls with chaingun fire.

Still wants aircrafts though. Want to see people fall out of them.

14. Aurora

Aurora Radiating love, empathy and maternal instincts

Quoted for truth

15. Lock N' Load

Lock N' Load Member

w00t Player Support!
    But, if this is implemented, maybeing haveing the hand models feel around when you are getting out so you can accually see your self grabbing onto the tank hatch or whatever is needed to get out, and haveing the camera follow you as you got out would be great so when a tank driver is getting out, he can see you sighting in on him before loading him with lead :D

16. Carrigage

Carrigage Member

Well that'd be cool...

Alot of you people dont realize that you cant implement TOO much, like.

"omg, make buildings blow up in a great animation of smoke and fire and shrapnel!!!"

Consider the consequences. Ppl with slow running comps wouldnt be able to play, servers would lag, the FPS-drops would be horrible, and eww..

But a simple idea like this is nice, cause it could be made client-side, to give it a better atmosphere, like Lock'n'Load said, you see your hands grab onto the tank and you move into it.

Like the Animation when you put on the suit in HL2 SP.

Its just plain awesome!

17. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

A problem with that is that you'd be trying to make the v_ models interact with other models. No worky in Source (I don't think). As far as I can tell, the v_ models are drawn over the world geometry, not as a part of it.

18. Lock N' Load

Lock N' Load Member

I think you are correct, but it'd be easy to fix that with an animation for every Tank that would play only when you got out of that one so it looked like you were grabbing on to it.

19. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

If you're talking about a third-person animation, that would work, but having the player's hands grab or even touch the vehicle in first-person would not look convincing, and would probably confuse players. I prefer the HL2 jeep and airboat methods, where the playerview is moved along a track to simulate the motion of getting in.

20. Jn.

Jn. Member

For now, lets just keep this idea at a minimum graphics-wise because I think as soon as the devs put this in, the better:) They will have time in the future to polish up the animations. Right now, there is no need for fancy animations, just anything that delays entering/exiting tanks, unless you are a passenger sitting on the side. Splash damage for exploding vehicles is also an amazing idea, even if the grenadier doesn't get the extra point. I just want to see someone standing in the vicinity of an explosion get what they deserve :D It is very frustrating
    to get gunned down by someone who just pops out of a tank before it dies. So to all the agreement posts, ditto ditto ditto ditto seconded thirded fourthed.