Tank Crosshairs

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Sherbie, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Sherbie

Sherbie Member

I know it's just polishing, eyecandy and possibly hard to code (depends on how it's realized), but I thought it'd be awesome to have some crosshairs for tanks, kind of like the mortar one, but less obstructing and more helpful.

I've got a few ideas for crosshairs here, every weapon-type could have one special crosshair.

The idea would be that the cannon crosshair shows approximately how much the cannon can veer off to the side and how high it would go (different cannon types could have slightly different crosshairs? or just create one that fits all?).

The ML crosshair would show approximately spread for three different distances with lenghts on the lower left of each box like "5ft" "50ft" "100ft".
    Same as the cannon, there probably would have to be some way of making it adjust according to the MLs parameters. Like the Nuke would have a bigass box, which would look awesome :D

To further buff aiming with the ML, maybe add a small counter that shows the distance to the target you are aiming at.

Maybe, have the box even automatically resize to show the spread at a certain distance?
    (the cannon and other guns could have something similar?)

As for the Guided ML, one box, a circle or something similar would suffice.

The MG would need just a simple one with a dot, or the current standard.

However, the chain guns probably could use some version with a circle around it, cause they're more of a spray-and-pray weapon where you just need to know the general area you're going to hit.

[​IMG]

If more than one weapon is inside your current weapon group, they could merge into one that, while not obstructing the view, still provides the player with a some aiming aid/eyecandy (most important parts of each crosshair are combined to a hybrid, range meter for the cannon, dot for the MG, boxes for the ML).

[​IMG]

Arties could use a crosshair/HUD that provices a lot of intel, such as the current cannon angle, their alignment (with a compass) and all that... :|

As for grenades, they could use a modified version with a small diagram that shows their arc or how far they fly until they descend.

Pros:
    + Could help with aiming more precise
    + Easier use of two different weapons together
    + Immersion
    + Kewl eyecandy ^.^

Cons
    - Coding (:p)
    - Less useful if not properly made
    - Problems with different resolutions

Last edited: Apr 7, 2008
  2. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

They look cool

3. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

>.< nooooo!!!
    people might realize that you have to aim behind and above the target at longer ranges while moving. that would screw up my tank pwnage.

4. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Perhaps you could even include a proper stadiametric rangefinder?

Those are fun.

5. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11 Member

some of those look good, and I agree the current ones are boring.. but who cares?

6. Zombified

Zombified Member

I like the idea. It might decrease the learning curve for tanks.

7. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

i don't know about you guys, but the ONE THING that could improve my aim in a tank can be summed up in two words.... Duck HUD. :D (That is a duck, right?)

8. Vaun

Vaun Member

Looks good, maby make the crosshairs change size and shape (or just have an altitude bar and spread bars making a "killzone" box). Also, chris, explain what a stadiometric rangefinder is, cause im guessing most people playing this mod dont know what stadiometric means... i sure dont.

9. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

10. Demented

Demented Member

You could alter the material for the mortar's view, as a prototype.

11. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

The mortar view is coded, theres no material file.

12. Demented

Demented Member

Oh? Shoot. =(

13. manhunt0r

manhunt0r Member

i like the stadiametric croshairs but i doubt that you could change crosshair depending on the active weapon type.
    nontheless it should be possible to switch through crosshairs with a button which would totally satisfy me

14. Vaun

Vaun Member

Well if i understand how its made, its made to the weapon, so bind the shell crosshairs to shell weapons, mg crosshairs to mgs, and missile crosshairs to missiles, and when you use a weapon, they overlay over each other.

15. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

The mortar's crosshair is in the model file from the best I can tell.

at the moment, the crosshair you see is dependent upon the vehicle you are driving, and the weapons on that vehicle make no difference.

To do this, it would probably be necessary to make a different viewmodel for every tank weapon, and then the vehicle_weapons script would need be edited to include that, as well as the coding edited to check for the viewmodel depending on the weapon.

That's what would have to happen from the best I can gather.

16. Vaun

Vaun Member

Ah the joy of the ignore list... anyway, to make it clear, each weapon type gets their own type of small custom crosshairs.

Example: APC with .50cal and upgraded grenade launcher.
    The grenade launcher gets a generic grenade launcher crosshairs and generic MG crosshairs. Then theyre combined via overlay so both are visible at the same time.

At least untill someone finds the time to make individual crosshairs for every weapon... like thatll ever happen at this rate.

17. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

The mortar's chrosshair is rendered with code, Krenzo said so himself, he also said that it's easier to render lines than sprites, he didn't want fancy things like the ones you're suggesting. I'm not saying your idea is bad though.

18. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Heres something to ponder: what the hell happens if I have a CN, MG and ML on my tank, and 2 are active at a time?

19. Empty

Empty Member

For a start we need to fix up the infantry crosshairs, I've yet to see a single case where the crosshair shown is correct. =/

20. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Then your high :p