Tank Armor being "teh gayness"

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Headshotmaster, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

What ARE you talking about? 1.08 killed the recoil from cannon shells, making shell sniping with a tank much easier.

2. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Making the BE tank available from the start isn't actually a bad idea. Or at least the research to get to it could be made cheaper/faster. Think about it, surely BE would be more well-equipped anyway?

The only risk is that AFV's wouldn't be used any more, but if they were cheap enough I think it would work. What about giving them a grenade slot, considering that they are modified APC's? Turn them into the ultimate demolition machine with cannon + grenades, but still the disadvantage of height / manoeuvrability.

3. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

Actually, the AFV is very nimble when approaching from the front. The problem is the massive height and length, which make it a barn to hit from the side.

And the AFV would probably still be used if it was as expensive as the APC. I've used AFVs, and even an APC can outlast it.

4. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Bug in 1.08 RC12.

5. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

no recoil in cannon shells right now?

i gotta make my 6x small cannon heavy again.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I personally think that if you're not bad, then the AFV is fine, I see no reason to improve it. I really want to give the passenger a vehicle mounted MG / grenade launcher, but that's another discussion.

if I could change anything, I think it's the rate of fire of small cannons. It's so fast that it makes most other weapons useless when you can just spam small cannon shells and do more damage much faster.

anyone else have this feeling?

6. Align

Align Member

I thought tanks were strangely fun to use.
    Please don't add recoil back in, it's just annoying and unrealistic.

7. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

A single cannon blast sending a 80+ ton monster back would be really awkward, but I can see it as a keepable disadvantage for the wanted-to-be-nerfed light tank.

8. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Welcome to Empires. Please enjoy your stay.

9. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

I like the tank recoil, trying to fire the same target at long range should be hard.

10. Unit 1126 PLL

Unit 1126 PLL Member

Recoil does rock 67-ton monsters, at least. The Abrams tank rocks in its tracks whenever its cannon is fired, and its especially bad when the turret is pointed sideways. Only the tank's suspension reduces the rocking enough.

The solution to recoil in modern tanks is the 3-axis stabilized gun, which remains on the same bearing but recoils backwards (rather than upwards), and even when the tank rocks (or drives over a hill) the gun will remain pointed in the EXACT direction it was pointed before, unless the maximum or minimum elevation is reached.

11. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

Its a bug? Crap and I thought it was on perpouse, as if I fire while backed into a wall the shells I see are themselves inaccurate. I prefered it alot more to recoil. Though it is a bit unbalanced if the BE heavy can fire six cannons with none...

Last edited: Jun 14, 2007
  12. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

the be heavy with six can only have 5 armour bits, and overheats in two and a half salvos. there's no benefit to it, it's just fun.

13. Align

Align Member

Well, considering all the super-high damage weapons and range fallof etc I'd say Empires seems like it has a thing for realism.
    It really doesn't matter though; if it's unrealistic and doesn't help gameplay, why have it in?