Swimming platforms

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by -=SIP=-, Jun 17, 2009.

1. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Is it possible to have a swimming platform with infantry, tanks and buildings (turrets, barracks, armory) on it?

And it is also possible to control this platform (forward, backward, turn left, turn right).

I'm asking because I have an idea for a map:
    [​IMG]

On the platform is only place for one barracks or some tanks. So you can rush with your swimming barracks from refinery to refinery or place some heavies on it for a surprise attack.
    Best part would be, if both platforms are near to each other. I see great naval battles!

Plattform could look like this:
    http://www.hadel.net/autos/assets/2009/akt/akt_sl_ponton2005_lg1550_03.jpg

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  2. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

I doubt buildings and turrets. Infantry and tanks, yes. You can use a func_tanktrain(?) to move around with.
    I'm pretty sure you can play with thrusters too, as a friend of mine made a zeppelin with thrusters.

3. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Easier solution is to put a flag with a spawn point on it. Don't think you can drop buildings on a moving platform though.

4. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

You can't, buildings don't parent to moving objects when you place them and can't be placed on dynamic geometry.

5. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

You could try to use a trigger to detect the building and tell it to parent itself to the moving object, but i can't tell for sure wether it can actually be parented, you can't do it under normal circumstances, that's for sure.

6. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Swimming platforms with only infantry and tanks would also be great.

But know I first have to learn how to make a map with hammer ...

7. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

you can parent the empires entities, I edited my fdg to make blimps that fly around and you can spawn in. I made a test map of this, you can go on nachos and rtv to it if your curious.

8. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

Physics platforms are not an option.
    I tried making an LCAC landing craft that could carry Brenodi vehicles and infantry. Both the vehicles and Infantry would get stuck inside of it when it bobbed up and down or turned. I tried turning it into a tracktrain too, but players and vehicles still got stuck.
    Edit: that was 2.12 though

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009