Surfing an exploit?

Discussion in 'Support' started by ArsonFire, Dec 15, 2007.

1. ArsonFire

ArsonFire Member

I was playing a few days ago and noticed that in certain maps (mostly cyclopean and slaughtered, a small amount in some others too) it is possible to surf along some of the walls and in some areas you can pick up some pretty good speed or get to unintended places.

It isn't as easy as it is in maps made for it, but I still got a few 'WTF?!' comments out of the other team as I went past at high speed.

Would this count as an exploit? Probably yes, but it is so fun that I feel I have to ask :p

2. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

I was wondering when someone other than me would notice this :P Wall walking has been in HL games since way back in the original HL. I personally don't consider it an exploit (I use it all the time) but I know it can be seen as one.

Though, using it to get somewhere you're not supposed is certainly exploiting :)

3. Sonata Arctica

Sonata Arctica Member

Surfing isn't an exploit. Unless it get can into some parts of the map that infantry isn't intended to be in, like being inside of the map.

You should show me some surfing tricks. Cause I can only think of duststorm and isle for surfing.

4. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Some maps are really easy...but I hadn't tried cyclopean yet.

5. ArsonFire

ArsonFire Member

Cyclopean is great for it. Fortunately there are invisible walls stopping you from getting into the bases, but it is still pretty easy to bypass the enemies defensive line across the top of the map.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0hF3AbU-N0

I find it is a bit more useful in Slaughtered since there are more areas to do it. You can't get into as many interesting places though.

6. [C9] Cobramaster

[C9] Cobramaster Member

i know from my experience yesterday you can walk along the face of the damn on m_valley and it serves as a great sniper spot if you have hide mainly because people dont look there they look at the top of the damn and the bottom never the middle idont know if this is a glitch or not because itsems a bit steep for surfing

7. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

I've only used surfing to avoid damage when dropping from hi places. never thought of using it as a replacement of the old bunny hopping :P

It's not a bug in the game, it's a bug in the source coding. As you fall, you accelerate in all half life games, even the original, until you hit terminal velocity (I think this is controlled by a sv_ setting, not sure though). I used to play with this when I had admin on a climbing server in cs. I no clipped up into the air, saved a spot, and teleported myself to that spot over and over. It's surprising how fast you can get going while falling.

anyways, this is more an issue for mappers than anything else. Those slanted walls need to be at least steep enough not to allow people to stay on when they make them.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2007