Super Smash Bro's Brawl Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by decemberscalm, Mar 12, 2008.

1. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

I had mine pre-ordered and got it the day after the official release. Who else been brawling these past few days?

Post up your wii codes if you wanna take on the empires community ^,^;

Olimar FTW

My review: Easily the best game on the Wii so far... Which isn't to say much as it only has to compete against a couple only decent games. That being said though, it is a reason to get a Wii. It may not be that huge innovative next step in the series, but its definently a well worth it sequel.

Pro's:
    Tons of content
    immense replayability.
    Coop for events and the singleplayer.
    Level Editor.
    Wifi.
    Also, I find the gameplay to be much more enjoyable than meelee (I was pretty much one of those hardcore people who wavedashed)
    The dynamics of all the different fighters and chaos that goes into a normal match makes it easily the best multiplayer console game

Con's:
    No friends no funs as in any smash game
    Wifi, but retarded dumbed down Wifi. (Killing alot of potential)
    Its the same game, just on steroids
    For the graphic whores, the graphics are not a huge step ahead, but come on, its on the Wii

To me, I'm bloody happy with the game as any normal human should be, but still disappointed. It does off worse than Halo 3 in my oppinion. Both added replays, tons of features and better gameplay. Halo 3 has competitive online gaming while Brawl doesn't. Brawl lacks a key ingredient in becoming a timeless game. Customizability. Its brawl and only brawl. Starcraft and even Halo 3 (I don't like Halo 3) manages to grab me back and play it again thanks to the games fervent customizability. You can't go too far beyond normal brawling. Sure, theres the "special brawl" but thats only modified so far. They could have easily added modes like CTF that would have been amazing to play. They choose to instead make a "only fun to play through once" singleplayer. IF your going to hardcore smash, find a tournament forum. For evryone else, its a much needed revival of that game that was damn fun to play with a couple friends.

2. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

I picked it up. I didn't get into the Gamecube version very much, but this one feels better. I haven't gotten the multiplayer to work other than spectating. Snake is easily the best part of this game. I was spectating someone, and apparently Snake can use his taunt to bring up a codec call. If he gets killed during the call, the person he's talking to does the "Snake? Snake!!!!" line from when you die in Metal Gear.

3. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

The stage builder is SO very limited, even with all the extra parts. I agree its fun as hell, but its not like you can make custom game types with it. The fact there is a stage editor is in my pro's section of the review. I'm very confident they could've given you the ability to make coop SSEE style levels as well as normal stages. There wasn't a whole lot of variables going on in the adventure mode.

I have Snake's Codec beep as my cell phone ringtone. ^_^

Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  4. cpugeek

cpugeek Member

I really like how they balanced out some of the older characters. Like, bowser is actually pretty good this time and fox isn't as overpowered as he used to be. The new characters are...different. Guess i just gotta get used to some of them. Oh yeah, and Lucario is made of win.

5. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

Yeah, I really wasn't expecting it, but it looks like Lucario might be my main character now. He hits pretty hard and has an awesome counter move that freaks people out.

6. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

If I ever figure out the whole friend code thing, I may play some of you guys sometime.

7. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

I love the nerfs, but alot of my friends will be mad as hell they removed some of the advance techniques like wavedashing. They'll have to play the game for fun for once ^.^.

Lucario is SO much better than mewtoo. I like Olimar, becuase hes such a different playstyle. All you have to do is manage your pikmin instead of having different moves (including making sure you never run low). Throw them on your opponent when your at range, and call them back when they close in. His smash attacks are so spammable, I use the C-stick the entire time. Noone can touch him with meelee attacks as your spamming smash, becuase its the pikmin doing the attack (with good range), not olimar. You'll never get hit and he will XD.

8. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

Wavedashing and L-Cancelling aren't "advanced techniques," they're exploits. It's like calling building under maps "advanced construction."

9. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

Regardless, those "exploits" turned meelee into an extremely fast paced and very competitive game. They toned down the ability for the hardcore players to be lightyears above amatuer players.

Sure, technically exploits, but advance techniques (and theres a ton of them x.x) to the hardcore uber competitive meelee players. I can easily see them sticking with meelee instead of ditching major competitive play for brawl. Too bad it has no wifi ^.^

10. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

XD... I'd love to see that one. Depends what tournament you go to.

The reason they put off items and moving stages is consistency. Someone with better skill is more obvious in the face of no random bom-omb killings. I wish I could turn off items in 15 minute man meelee X.X. Evrytime I get close to winning with very little damage percentage, I end up getting killed by a bomb that spawns into my attack, effectivelly killing me.

11. AlexCA117

AlexCA117 Member

Fuck you Nintendo of Europe.

I want to play :(

12. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

My brother and I beat it by constantly mortaring as Snake for about 11 minutes. Then, we got bored and just flew up in the air on Snake's UAV avoiding everyone.

13. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

We did Olimar. Both work, because both of thier smash's don't require direct contact with the enemy. Just really makes me mad when a random explosive spawns on top of one of us.

Whats your record for cruel meelee? Me and my bro went kirby, rushed to the top of the map, rock formed, and repeated, getting a whopping 5 kills ^.^ We only tried about 3 times with that strategy.

14. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

We couldn't get any kills in the few times we tried.