Super Admins

Discussion in 'General' started by Private Sandbag, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I would like people like Evan, Buttery lobster and Dizzy to be super admins. these are people I trust to do this.

The idea of a super admin is that they can hand out bans on whatever server they are on, provided the server has opted in to allow super admins to act on their server.

Any misbehavior with superadmin powers would come with a free instant codeban. That would be the risk of being a superadmin. you get proof of what people are doing and you can make games great, and people won't exploit it because it will only be given to trusted people.

2. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

No thanks, I wouldn't want that and I think it's a horrible idea.

3. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

I'll replace dizzyone.

4. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Hence, I think it's a horibble idea.

5. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

even if you only used your power dizzy once in every 1000 games. that will stop those games

I bet a lot of regulars here have come in contact with some SERIOUS griefers recently. I mean the type of griefer that does it three games in a row and is proud of it. hell, I was on a server yesterday when the [chopper] kids reappeared. Now imagine if there were people that could ban these people on the spot.

I just think empires would be a cleaner place. Super admins would be the equivilant of police

6. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

Hence the codeban for anyone caught abusing this.

7. Kaishi

Kaishi Member

This could also be solved by more or more-active server admins. A well run server should have admins playing more often than not, and for when they aren't there are source plugins that allow votekick / voteban.

My 2 cents.

8. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

I think doing this will make people go power-mad.

9. Coffeeburrito

Coffeeburrito Coder

While it may sound useful on the surface, is it really our ('our' referring to the empires community) job to manage other people's servers? It seems like a lot of people could get very angry over this,

10. Namron

Namron Member

Hardcoded admins! :)

11. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

Well, it wouldn't be for generally being irritating, but for those hardcore griefers that delibirately and repeatedly ruin the game, turning players away from the game.

i can picture problems arrising though. what if an admin got banned from his own server because he was griefing.

12. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Thats persuming those people play all on diffrent servers and are always on; they fall under the same fault as a regular admin; they can't be on 24/7...

Just get the servers to get a few more admins and thats it...

Idea of global "Admins" frightens me...

13. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

It would be a sad statement on the condition of the Empires community if this were to come into effect.

Aside from the possible legality issues of having control of servers other people pay for out of their own pockets, Empires should simply not be going down the road of having our own police force.

14. Slamz

Slamz Member

If I were the developer, I would already be a super-admin and adding trusted friends to the list would be easy. :-p

I think it's a good idea, but you'd better be really sure of who you're adding to such a list. Someone's going to be pissed when the super-admin accidentally bans the wrong steam ID and the server's own owners get kicked off.

As it is, though, griefers are doing far more damage to this community than they should be able to get away with and I support just about any method of reducing that damage.

15. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Whats doing damage is not greifers, but cocky assholes...

16. arklansman

arklansman Member

You don't trust me Sandy? D:

17. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

ark, you were such an obvious choice that ...

okay, i just threw some names off the top of my head there.

i would trust you though

18. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

While I'm flattered you picked me, Sandbag, I think admining should not have anything to do with the development of the game (like adding coded superadmins).

If a server doesn't have enough admins they should give admin to the responsible people they see playing there often.

19. Slamz

Slamz Member

Nah, cocky assholes can be ignored.

Having your team's CV flip end over end 8 times through the air and land upside in the water, or get jacked and driven into the water for game after game because no admins are on is somewhat more difficult to ignore.

20. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I agree... ALL of the servers need more lurking admins.

The idea that we need to actually have super admins doesn't scare me so much as point out the inactivity of current admins.