submarine / boat scripts

Discussion in 'Coding' started by TheLiberalElitist, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

You could alternatively use the trigger_vphysics_motion entity, which basically lets you define all sorts of amusing properties like air resistance, drag, gravity, and suchlike for entities within its volume, and because it's a triggger_ entity it can use the very in-depth trigger filter system to only affect select objects.

2. TheLiberalElitist

TheLiberalElitist Member

what's wrong with battleship?

3. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

infantry wont play any roll anymore ...

4. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

U obvisously never played battlefield 1942 :(

good maps had:

2 battleships (long range cannons, cruse missile, MGs)with 2 dingys for infantry,
    2 aircraftcarriers (air defense weapons, MGs)with anouther pair of dingys,
    one big Island in middle with bleederflags and airplanes.

So most matches started with both factions fighting for the island starting in water/air
    or
    one faction defending the island against enemy navy.

double the size of duststorm should already be huge enough.

5. flasche

bf42 had way larger maps, wake island (the island) is as big as an empires map ...

without scaling source is too small. and btw the scaled models are only 0.0625 times the size, means 16x scaling. in theory 16x larger maps, but its said physics get jerky at that scale. also youd need more detailed textures and a lot of models and maps. also brushwork at this scale will be hard to make nice looking (a step is 16units high, at 16x scale it would be 1 unit), so everything would need to be modeled. this isnt very good on source either. you will run into visibility issues and so on ...

its so much work, especially modeling and mapping work - its never gonna happen ...

but i agree if empires would on a big scale play similar to red alert it would be awesome. id love to play it on maps a hundred times the size with thousands of players. ships, air, tanks, infanry and whatnot ... yeah well, but its empires, on a quite old engine ... ;)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  6. Empty

Empty Member

16x scaling is pretty unrealistic tbh the technical issues are huge., but just 2x scaling would multiply the available area by 4 and the amount of airspace by 8.

Think 4 duststorms together.

7. TheLiberalElitist

TheLiberalElitist Member

[​IMG]

Here is the BE_shipyard model I wanted to use a sloped back panel, so the model does not get stuck on the terrains geometry when spawned. I know the for other building they look for a flat plane before you can place a building, but for the shipyards, I was thinking of using that same idea, but instead of looking for flat ground it would just test to see if a portion of the model is placed in the water so the model is deep enough in the water to not get stuck, but also enough of the shipyard is above ground so you can easily gain some access to it. like this.....(Very crude, but you get my point)

[​IMG]

I think that would be the best option, instead of leveling both the land above and below the water to place the shipyard.

8. flasche

iirc someone i believed said that buildings only check if their boundingboxes 4 bottom corners are within a certain height. if its that way, it might get complicated to make it fit cliffs. unlike in most rts that have naval units, you can move the vertices of the terrain in all 3 directions (not only along the z axis) and there can be cliffs (= vertical displacements) or completely unaligend displacements aswell (though you wont see them often) ...
    it also has to be inside a water brush to some extend.
    i think best would be to let harbors be really restrictive about their placement and write down the values in the wiki so that people can make some dedicated harbor spots on maps - maybe even additionally introduce a "harbor brush" that requires at given min size (also in the wiki plz) and let harbors snap there.

but all in all, i still think there is no need for boats or ships ...

also, preplaced buildings dont follow any empires placing rules.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  9. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Or make them like ref points so that they can only be placed at fixed positions? Less fun gameplay, easier to do.

10. flasche

thats what i meant with harbor brush, but true a point entity is enough ...

11. TheLiberalElitist

TheLiberalElitist Member

I like that idea, even though it is restrictive. I think after a while players will find ways to exploit, but I guess trying it that way first, then later down the line maybe something more complex. atm I wanted to try making a low poly of Megel's NF patrol boat, and finishing the NF shipyard. Then moving to make a BE_patrol boat. MOOtant stated he would help with the code, so I think after testing on a map the size of dust storm we would be able to see if boats are a viable option. Then after aircrafts are implemented, and scaling is done I can think about adding bigger ships. Thats the plan anyways.

It adds another element of game play to empires imo I don't believe it subtracts from the core game play of Empires. I think after testing it out and if the community likes some water craft then I can expand it with more ships, and subs. but atm it is not a priority, so it is jut a pet project of mines.

12. flasche

its not so much about the exploits but about land leaking through the model if you can place it anywhere where the lower 4 corners of its bounds fit.
    you could also introduce a brush that resticts harbor placement in special for maps that either dont want ships or run into such issues in some places ...

13. MooJuiceThaHater

MooJuiceThaHater Member

Liberal Elitist for Dev.

14. Krazer

Krazer Member

He's like an independent dev.

I like.

15. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

ya know, you could always just make it so the submarine measures the distance between its lowest part and the bottom, and then adds and subtracts buoyancy every second or so to remain stationary in depth

pressing the go up key would then make it time more time between adding buoyancy then subtracting it, thus make it go up slowly

same for down, but reversed

16. complete_

complete_ lamer

lets never ever have boats. that'd be nice.

17. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

cut out the shitposting complete, im getting tired of your responces

18. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

shitpost in response.

19. Metrulizer

Metrulizer Member

Ship repair
    How do?

20. TheLiberalElitist

TheLiberalElitist Member

You don't you let the muthafucker burn. Floating repair bay maybe? Have not thought about repairing on water. Figuring out how boats would work is still an unknowns atm. Trying to do you something source was never meant for means I am venturing into uncharted territory.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011