Structure Icons

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Broccoli, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

I know this has been discussed before, but as far as I'm aware nothing was decided specifically. So here it goes...

The icons for structures on the minimap really need to be clearer. And more importantly, they should allow the team to differentiate between structures. There should be no more cries of "do we have an armory yet?". So here's some basic symbols that I knocked up, let me know what you think.
    [​IMG]
    I went for the simple look, although I'm aware that some of them aren't very intuitive. Would something more self-explanatory (like a spanner for the repair station) be more desireable? It would make it look more cluttered.

2. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

Hey looks fine. Only thing I could thing would be better would be a for radar maybe for radar I cant think of what its called but one of thouse circles with a slash in it normaly used for no smoking sighns but cut in half the other way the line is going for its a half circle with a line stickig out. That is the simplist symbal for a radar I can think of.

Edit: Aha! Knew I could think of a better example. Think of the soviet hammer and sycle symble with no hande on the sycle.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2006
  3. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

semi circle?

4. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

The symbol I couldnt remeber the name for is the circle with a slash through it. A simi circle is just half a circle. Unless you are talking a bout two simi cirlces that are together.
    [​IMG]

5. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

This is a good idea. Should the same be done for vehicles so that you can more easily tell what is what?

6. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Yes, I think so. Overhead views of each model are very difficult to differentiate, particularly things like the BE AFV/APC. I'll see if I can come up with some more tommorow.

I understand the shape you mean, kinda like a satellite dish profile. Like this, but with a shorter central line. It'd be cool if a symbol like that rotated on the minimap. Come to think of it, it would be cool if all symbols pointed in the same direction as their respective buildings. At least for the barracks and armory, anyway.

7. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

great idea idd, I was trying to come up with some icons some time ago, but didnt get anything good, also arent some of your icons a bit too big? I wonder how they would look if you scale them down.

8. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Yeah, they prolly are a little on the large side. They should look okay a bit smaller.

Here's a second version, this time with vehicles too.
    [​IMG]
    I've tried to future-proof it as much as possible.

9. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

that's brilliant.

You need to diffirentiate between ML and MG turrets, perhaps a, X through the MG ones, or a dot in the middle of it or similar.

10. arklansman

arklansman Member

Change the ref one.
    An X seems like it should be for a destroyed building.

11. DeadReckoning

DeadReckoning Member

Infantry Classes? =o

12. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

The icon for turret could be mistaken with mines; since mines are little circles right now...

But the rest are very nice :D My favorite ones are the aircraft

13. HungryGuy

HungryGuy Member

:confused: for nOObs :D for forum members.

bot: I realy think this should be implamented asap.

14. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

Yea that is what I was thinking of. As for the turrents I dont think a differnt icon is nessisary as they would be so close to each other normaly you cant tell anyway. Unless there is some way to see enemy structures farther away than a cam does now it would not be of any use. If there are enough turrents to warent putting a cam the engi is dead already from them.:(

As for noobs well they should read the manual.:rolleyes: Or put the icon on the screen when you buy vehicles next to thier corrisponding vehicle. After two or three games any one should be able to pick it up. Every things else is pritty easy to understand.

15. HungryGuy

HungryGuy Member

like this?

Attached Files:

• dar.bmp
      File size:
      774 bytes
      Views:
  16. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

good job

my $.02: hollow out the hexagon on the repair station because the other vehicle based buildings are hollow, and make it so you cant see the type of tank the enemy has, its just a solid rectangle.

17. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

The hollow-ness was intended to show that vehicles can be constructed there, but I suppose it could work for the repair pad too. Enemy units should be identified by a simple rectangle/circle, as you said.

Turrets do need differentiating, and possibly have a different colour for structures which you own? So unbuilt could be grey and built could be green. Or something like that, just to make it easier to locate/recycle your own turrets.

Class icons would be cool, but the same as vehicles for the enemy, should only show a simple arrow. Any suggestions for each class?

18. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Engineer could be a howllowed out hexagon with a chevron pointing un the direction he is looking...

Scout could be hollowed up radar with a chevron on it Rifleman could be the ammo symbol (The one on the crates) with a chevron and a grenadier could be... O.o

19. Stu

Stu BehälterGott

Grenadier could be a rocket?

20. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11 Member

I think infantry should all have the same icon... otehrwise there would be just way too many different icons and all noobies would leave.

just a thought.