Streets of Fire needs overhaul.

Discussion in 'Archive' started by MomoZMonster, Aug 8, 2007.

1. MomoZMonster

MomoZMonster Member

I am humbled amazed and eternally greatful to the creator of this map, I've found Streets of Fire to be an incredible map. With the roof tops, and the underground, the bridges ,tank battles in a city? Wow its an aweasome map.
    That being said, the fact remains: The street curbs. The curbs as I'm sure everyones experienced act as a barrier for tanks, can't drive on them even if aimed perpendicular to them at full speed. They can also trip up infantry as there are some curbs that require the user to jump up on to it..we're talking street curbs. Some curbs are bigger than others, but I've never experienced a curb that I need to Jump get on. This does not make sense.

I think this needs to be fixed OR not to release this map with the big release as it dosn't live up to the standards of the other maps. If the tanks can drive into and out of the craters on Canyon, the weird rock formations on Cylcopean, hell they can scale the sides of a Be Rax. A 6- 12" 15-30 Cm curb should not be a problem for a tank.
    I'd like to see this fixed rather than removed, but <shrug> it has a big cheese factor painted on those curbs.

2. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

It just needs some triangular clips on the curbs. UrbanChaos needs this as well.

3. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

Or maybe it's a feature like when I visited Ecuador I remember some sidewalks where like five feet above the road so on street level it would look like a big slab of concrete. This was out in the country (or about as country as a jungle area can get) & pretty sure It was for good reason seeing as how the houses where up there with the sidewalk & there was a nearby river.

4. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

afv's and lights can get on the curbs, heavies maybe even aswell. Its just the medium tank that can't get on the curbs. I doubt you would want tank pinball to be a feature. get a med.
    Even if the curb is high, it better be as high as the chassis of the med tank because the damn thing has treads, at this height they are supposed to get on it.

But you know what, I think the map shouldn't be changed, but the tanks. Its an issue with the med tank and the NF heavy also has issues with climbing and doing all kinds of funny stuff when you do.

The med tank isn't even trying to climb the curb, it just bounces off like theres a big metal plate infront of the treads.

5. hEllO kIttY

hEllO kIttY Member

Also, The BE CV has the same issue. Driving the CV forward is fine, but once you need to backup, such as the curb at BE start, its like hitting a wall. Most of the time its a nussiance, however it can be GG under the right situation (curb + tank wedge).

6. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

This is a HUGE issue. As dizzyone pointed out, BE med tanks can't go up the curbs. This is a problem when an NF heavy charges into your base, gets behind your VF, and no matter how fast or what angle you ram that curb, you can't get into your base to kill that heavy. Meanwhile, it levels your base, cuz nobody could get back there to kill the heavy.

7. Grizzly

Grizzly BEAR SIZED DOORS

Thanks for bringing this up :)

I know of this, and it's indeed a strange problem

All northern faction tanks and jeeps have no issues what so ever with going up the curbs, but for the brenodi tanks and jeeps they are insted impassible barriers

The easy solution to this (witch i have tried) would be what Bodrick sugested, to add triangular clip brushes to the edges
    Thing is, that dossen't work. the tanks aren't affected in anny noticble way by them :(

i supose the only real solution is to increse the street hight by a few centimeters, i'l see what i can do about it, but then again it would be more convinient for all of us if you guys could simply bother krenzo as much as possible to have him poke around in the code that controles the "curbdrivingandothersmallstuff" values

Again, thanks for brnging this up

8. Caelo

Caelo Member

also a funny thing about the NF Heavy is that it starts bouncing up when hit with a pointy displacement from underneath :)

9. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Grizzly, use physics clip brushes!

10. Grizzly

Grizzly BEAR SIZED DOORS

I'm On It Captin!

11. Grizzly

Grizzly BEAR SIZED DOORS

Allright, status uppdate! and good news to!

The curbs where previusly 16 units high, i have finaly changed them to now only be 14 units
    this seems to have the desired effect, i no longer bump into annything hard when driving up the sides of curbs with the brenodi jeep, haven't tried any other tanks, but it should be alot better now

there is still a issue with hitting curbs straight on, but trying to aply some physics clip thingys might sort those out to

12. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Indeed. Both will be required if people don't want to jump up curbs either. I forget what the maximum step height is in source. I thought that it would be more than 16 units though...

I have three issues with this map: abrupt edges, which make no attempt to flow into some kind of skybox; roofless buildings, which would be fine if there weren't commanders flying about (and a few more surfaces shouldn't kill anyone's performance); and the lighting. That blue colour is just so drab, and doesn't help the "concrete, concrete" look.

What I do like: all the little nooks that are hidden away. I never even realised that you could get onto the roofs, and the other day I found a sewer which I never knew existed either. It's a very good map just for exploring.

13. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

All the subways should be connected :P

14. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Normally you should be able to walk on 16 unit high brushes. All info on unit heights and how players are affected by it can be found here.

15. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

it would be cool if the sky box was a hellish, fiery mixture of oranges, reds, and yellows.

16. arklansman

arklansman Member

Seconded!

Editing Bastards!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2007
  17. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

the blue colour is cool.... and I 100% agree that the rooftops need filling; as a commander it's sadly noticable.

grizzly told me on IRC that he wants lots of new random models, like light fixtures and radiators and stuff (so he doesn't have to use the HL2 library) to pretty up his map.

18. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

I thought Streets Of Fire was already nearing it's graphics budget?

19. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

grizzly is running out of brushes, but I think he has ample model space left.

20. hEllO kIttY

hEllO kIttY Member

Forget fancy random models, add p.c. elevator music and teh map is done!