Strategy ?

Discussion in 'General' started by Xyaminou, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

What's strategy for you ?

Useful in empires or useless ?

I created this thread because some persons are playing empires but they totally ignore the teamplay and the strategy. So I was asking myself , maybe I'm a retard ? maybe I'm the only one that use strategies in empires?

P.S : The question isn't am I a retard.

2. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Scout:
    Sneak behind, kill people behind walls and behind turrets.

Engineer:
    Nadespam/Turretspam/ReviveSpam

Riflemen:
    Tanking

Gren:
    Mortar.

3. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Shadow: didn't read the thread.

You can use strategy if you want but it's hardly neccesary, you win fights by being better than your opponent, you win the game by having whole team better than your opponent.

About as 'strategic' as I get is using enhanced senses to avoid running head on into people and I only do that when I'm bored out of my mind.

4. Cloud

Cloud Member

I just lone wolf it, or stick with my squad whereever they might go.
    Essentially imo it's "Do we have more vets than them?" counting myself as .5 vet, although non-vet teams might give you a nasty surprise once in a while.

5. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

what about commander strategy ?

like would you rather aim for refineries or killing enemy bases.

Well in fact this question is pointless since it depend on what players you have in your team lol, everything depend on so many thing it's hard to talk about general strategy

6. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Both, because bases are built on res points and have res points in between them.

If I was writing an AI for the game which controls the players I would tell it to send a few people to constantly destroy enemy refineries because they are highly vulnerable, but as I am not in control of the players I mostly just research a good tree and drop things on them when they ask for them, if I have a good team I win and if I have a bad team I lose, I also occasionally win or lose based on rushing the command vehicle or being rushed by the enemy team, and there is little I can do about that as the only way to prevent it is to spend time walling in the base which makes you lose anyway.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  7. Deiform

Deiform Member

I make it up as I go.

8. Cloud

Cloud Member

I don't command, and if i have to i'll tiptoe away unless it's an absolute emergency.

9. SnowDrakE

SnowDrakE Member

Constantly adapting. Whenever I try to go with teamwork, newer players seem to be much more willing to stick together. Vets strongly tend to fall into certain "jobs" and will know what needs to be done, which is perfect with many vets on a side. On the other hand, the fewer vets there are, the more this leads to lone-wolfing.

Recently I am forcing myself to keep trying to get behind lines, focusing on refineries. Something that most players tend to forget in the heat of battle (except the occasional scunt).

10. Zeke

Zeke Banned

if there isnt much vets on you can go rifleman early on and bash ur way through the lines with a engineer or 2 to set up ninja raxes or claim important ref points etc, works like a charm on maps like crossroads ^_^

Asking a few engineers to come along with you in an AFV to rush a enemy rax works great aswell, just make sure all of them are aware of whats going to happend + that you repeat wtf to do over and over to the point you start attacking lol.
    (and be very specific about EXACTLY what to do and what to NOT do, "attack the enemy rax" aint enough info, they will fail u then)
    This works extra good on maps where people generally dont use the mainbase to spawn.

these are the 2 tactics which works despite the whole server being retards and failing massively.

11. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I give the team general direction where to go to start with - just the stuff we all know - NW, SE etc. Then I give directions depending on what's happening in the game ("we need to get back city", "abandon NE, we only have a rax there, and we're losing the rest of the map") etc.

I used to have a lot of fun going for different research depending on how the team was doing, but in the current version, we all know that's pretty useless and worse, risky.

Fallback plans like APC rushes, ninja raxes etc, I do point out and get behind. I tell my team to do a lot of things actually, but I don't have a "best laid plan" like maybe CPatton would, because that's based on your team doing it exactly right...and how often does that happen? With that kind of plan you also need to be really vocal and shout at your team from time to time, aside from them being good enough to carry it off, which doesn't really seem to me that much fun for the players. I'll let them play how they want, as long as they know that we'll lose or win if certain things happen...or keep happening :rolleyes:

12. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

This.

Rather I tend to stick to a barebone plan, and make alterations to it as the game continues.

13. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

Captain Obvious strikes again!

That's a tactic, not a strategy Tactic

As stated in the wiki article, tactics are methods, a way in which you do things.

In the Strategy Wiki, "Strategy is distinct from tactics. In military terms, tactics is concerned with the conduct of an engagement while strategy is concerned with how different engagements are linked. In other words, how a battle is fought is a matter of tactics: the terms that it is fought on and whether it should be fought at all is a matter of strategy."

A strategy in empires would be denial of of ref nodes, a tactic in Empires would be how you specifically take those ref nodes out.

As for my strategy, I Usually have 1 plan I love to stick to.
    1. Strike where they are weakest.

Blah, Blah, debate, whatever... I do this because it's what has worked best for me. If you see an opening, you take it. If you get behind their lines, even 1 tank, they focus more than 1 tank on your single tank, because he's being disruptive. That frees of guys on your side to give a better push on them. If they kill spawn to kill your tank, they remove people from where they were fighting, and it increases your odds in the territory you're attacking.

Then there is always the rush. Best plan of attack. It doesn't always work, but if you have your tank drivers listen for the duration of the attack, you are golden. If you rush tanks to their base, only to see it barricaded and ML'ed up the ass, you divert your tanks to their secondary base, do a mop-up, and then head back to their base and siege them with your Std Cannons(assuming its an LT/AFV rush). STD cannon siege is completely underutilized because of light damage they do. Still, 6-10 tanks, firing on your position from a safe distance is demoralizing, and does enough damage to keep you repairing your base and hiding from the...dangerous projected forecast...(btw, that was tactic, describing how I do my rush, just so there is no argument)

Sure, you can do the chris method, IE, best team, best commanders, but when you're down, play rough.

I remember a game when I was in hiatus from BSID. It was my team of newbs(literally, we had 2 vets including me), and BSID had all of their guys with a BSID commander. The map was badlands(IE winter wonderland), and I thought it was going to be a rough ride. See, I knew the map came down to the middle, but what is most difficult are the corners. I sent about 1/4 of my guys to the center, and the rest to bother corners. They secured middle, we secured the corners, and moved in on their base, taking it after an extended fight. The game came down to my team seiging the center with fair ease because they had no VF(I made sure of that). Yes, I said this to increase my E-Peen, but it's a good example where strategy can win a game when you're down.

14. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Strategy is important if you care about winning. Anyone who can place buildings and research can win with a team of more skilled players. However, you are never going to always have a more skilled team. Strategy is what helps you win those matches. Good example, see

However, strategy in Empires is more about managing your players than any particular research path/buildings/etc. I mentally split my team into two parts
    1. Vets who are interested in playing (i.e. not noobs)
    2. Newbs and/or noobs

I send (or they go on their own) the first group to strategic areas of the map (to build bases, capture refs, destroy bases, etc.). I use the second group as essentially a distraction. For example, placing a barracks next to the enemy main and telling my team to spawn in it. This group won't likely make any progress, but they will likely tie up some good players (from group 1) on the other team. The key is to spend most of your attention on the group 1 players so that they are constantly busy doing things that get you closer to victory.

If you can get roughly 3-6 on the first kind who are willing to follow your orders and understand the strategic importance of certain areas on maps, you can beat a more skilled team.

15. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

Squad up, be sure your squad follows YOU and not the clanners that they are in love with. Squad should look like this:

Three Engies, two with rev and one with repair upgrade.

Two roflmen with either ammos upgrade or accuracy to cover the engies arses while they take down that enemy forward rax.

Win squad during the first ten mins.

16. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

1.aim at nme
    2.mouse1
    3.repeat

17. Omneh

Omneh Member

thats pretty much it really, when you stop overthinking things and actually play the damn game

the team with more of those better at the action above tends to win.

18. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

basically yes, but still not completly true. for example organizing and exectuing an APC rush (not the 2.12 ones) to kill their CV is strategy and tactics you cant deny being extremely effective (dont try more than once per round tho :p)

19. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Hence the airquotes.

If you actually told me to get a winning strategy I would suggest organsing a stack beforehand as that is almost certain to win you the game and you don't have to rely on individual thinking or planning or whatever.

Also the example you mentioned would be more BSID's damn fool fault for taking the middle and just sitting there while your team went round the edges, if their entire team had been playing they would have rolled out of middle and either attacked your base or the sides and either killed you, or prevented you from gaining any ground back. Good teams fight and win, so it doesn't matter how strategic you get, if you're fighting a better team you will lose all your engagements if you fight everywhere and if you fight one place in particular, you will lose everywhere else. If you fight and win then you have better players than the enemy.

Players who are playing don't just sit in one place, so if both teams have good players then if one team is roving around killing stuff the other team should automatically be doing that as well, if you can take the middle of badlands and then lose because the other team went around the edge, either you didn't actually do anything once you got the middle, or the other team was composed of better fighters than you and you couldn't stop them pushing back, but in either case it's a player quality issue rather than a strategic one. I would suggest that you won not because of brillint commanding, but because bsid is a bunch of idiots who couldn't find their arse with both hands, and the noobs you mentioned were not as nooby as you thought.

20. o_O

o_O Member

Kill the enemy, move up, kill their rax, kill their refs, build your own, make tanks to help out, repeat.

So basically what emp recruit said but don't forget raxes.