Stickybombing the drivers face

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Sprayer2708, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

When I stickybomb somebodies face and he gets into a vehicle afterward, make the whole vehicle go boom (no matter what hull/armor it has left since the bomb is INSIDE), or at least the guy die rather then the sticky dissappear and nothing happening.

2. Empty

Empty Member

That's a lot of coding for a really really niche scenario.

3. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

(not knowing how shity this section of the code is) I don't see why that would be alot of code... right now it seems like the death timer and artifacts are wiped from the player apon entering a vehicle... why not just re-assign the sticky timer to the tank?

4. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

are you sure that isn't working already?

I think as long as you sticky yourself you do kill the vehicle you enter, not so sure about enemies with stickied faces though.

5. ViroMan

I have sticked people before when they were getting back in there tank and they don't die... I know I hit them because the sticky never blows up.

6. Empty

Empty Member

That's not how stickies work.

The sticky parents to the first entity it hits (think welded)

It then explodes after a brief delay like any other grenade.

When you enter a vehicle your player entity gets temporarily removed from the game. The sticky is deleted because when a parent is deleted, all children are deleted (IE, player is parent of sticky, player removed, sticky removed)

To make this occur as you want it, you'd have to run a check of all the entities parented to the player when they enter a vehicle, check if there's a sticky, save it's timer, do a bunch of other shit and then kill the player. Which is a huge amount of work for a situation that is so rare it doesnt matter. If you see a guy next to a tank repairing, shoot him.

7. ViroMan

I understand the checking entities part and the saving timer part but, what is this... "do a bunch of other shit" part? Other then that it seems trivial... although as I said... I don't know how many loops are needed to jump through just to do that.

8. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Well, the stickybomb would either have to attach itself to the vehicle and kill it, or once the timer runs out, it would eject the player from the vehicle and then kill him. Of course, this is all after what Empty already stated.

The former one would have to check which vehicle the player entered, attach itself to the vehicle, load the timer from the previous state and do a modified amount of damage to the vehicle to the vehicle by checking if the stickybomb attached itself to the vehicle because it was thrown at it normally or because a sticky'd player entered the vehicle.

The latter would have to load the timer from the previous state, wait for the timer to go off, then forcibly eject the player from the vehicle and kill him as usual.

The former one is obviously complicated. The latter one may seem easier, but it's quite possible that it's hard to do. I wouldn't know, and I wouldn't assume because I am not a coder.

9. w00kie

So, how come a sticky to myself can kill my vehicle?
    Since I can only guess around client/server stuff, I don't guess.

10. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

That "niche" happens a more lot often then you think, drivers often get out of the vehicle, see me having nade out, think "OH SHIT GOTTA GET IN" but got stickied by me in meantime. The bug gets (unkowingly) exploited much too often.
    Also, even if it wouldnt happen often, it would make for a more awesome kill then calckill.
    It just doesn't happen to you empty, cause you dont have the balls to run up to enemy vehicles with nothing but a grenade out like a boss shouting JERONIMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

11. w00kie

No, empty just gets driven over a split second before he can react to it.

12. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

Would it be easier to make it so that when a player has a sticky grenade attached, they can't enter a vehicle?

13. ViroMan

that would confuse players...

14. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

... not for long ^^

15. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Lul. +1