Steam Workshop

Discussion in 'Under Consideration' started by Ranger, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Ranger

Ranger Member

Imagine a world where first world problems are solved. No hunger, all diseases cured, infinite energy, working democracies, world wide peace etc. We could then have a Steam Workshop for our Empires where we are free to upload our creations, not only weapons, but all sorts of items, vehicles and buildings. Both official and community made overhauls, replacements or just simple additions.

If you have played Portal 2 you have probably noticed the in-game map editor. Cities: Skylines also has an editor, not only for maps but also buildings etc. Empires could have a similar simple in-game tool for those who are not familiar with scripting, modelings and like.

Quality content could be officially affiliated by the Dev Team to speed up development. It would enhance testing and expand one's mind to new horizons as they would experiment and discover new things. Butt sex.

Synergy has been around for many years, maybe not as many as Empires, but it has been thought to be dead many times after months or years of silence. However, it surprised many (including me) with the implementation of Steam Workshop.

2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

theres by far not enough gain considering the amount of work youd have to put into this. also afaik empires still runs unpure, you can switch out models as much as you want.

if you mean that everyone should see your special models, i even am against this, it would break my immersion if every other player is some barely clothed underage anime girl (not insinuating its what you want, but its what youll get).

3. Ranger

Ranger Member

replacements only appear to the ones who have it. so you won't see any hentai ok.

I was requested to post this idea in the feedback section.

4. Neoony

Neoony Member

I guess that would all depend on how hard it is to implement workshop.
    Yea, it would probably not have much content.
    But if its easy to implement, I dont think there is a reason not to have it.

+ you got a nice way to download maps and map packs (in the form of addon packs), that can be quite big plus.
    (is there a file size limit for stuff in steam workshop?)

I have no clue how hard would it be. D:

5. Ranger

Ranger Member

There is a size limit. I am not sure it depends on the game. It's from 250mb to 500mb not sure. It was increased then reduced then increased again, I don't remember.

6. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

thats a matter of implementation, you could download "missing" content for people when they join the server ...

7. Ranger

Ranger Member

Yes, but that's not how it is done. When you replace your survivors in L4D2 with anime girls, only you can see them.

8. Neoony

Neoony Member

it would be clientside unless server owner would decide to replace files on his server

definitely screw any of that serverside

Ranger likes this.
  9. Neoony

Neoony Member

250mb should be enough for pretty much any empires map
    Workshop could be atleast used for that.
    By "Addon packs" I meant collections (thats how its called in steam workshop)

So just the big question remains, how hard is it to implement or what is required for steam workshop.
    It seems like it shouldnt be too hard for a source game.