Start with a Jeep in classic maps

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Cokemonkey11, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Cheomesh

Cheomesh Member

I'd really like to see them gain a weapon of some kind -- perhaps a single slot MG or a single slot gray weapon that acts as a grenadier's RPG?

2. Superlagg

Superlagg Member

I'd love to see a single slot grenade or MG slot, maybe one where you can have either an MG or a grenade.

3. Cheomesh

Cheomesh Member

Well, I've had no luck with the grenade launcher in the game at all; I was thinking something akin to a recoilless rifle. Make it have a fairly nice punch against infantry, but little against serious armour, and carry a few (6?) rounds.

4. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

Vehicle grenades take down enemy buildings super quickly.

There was talk of being able to put turrets and ammo crates on the back of jeeps a while back. Megel even made a couple models for them but havne't heard any word about it since.

5. REX

REX Member

I dont think this will be able to happen without the sudden apearence of grenadier jeep tactics. Game starts and a squad of grenadiers rush like mad the driver holdig the CV against something and 3 guys dumping mines BOOM game over. Just like the week of the imortal party vans during testing.

6. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11 Member

Well who says they can't do that 1 minute into the game?

imo its not changing really anything - just making the game more fast paced from the start...

7. Balo

Balo Member

whats wrong with you guys?
    If you want fast action go play Counter Strike....

8. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

It's more about minimalising the amount of running required at the start of games than fast action.

9. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

at most, it's 30 seconds walking, and starting with vehicles would really fuck up the opening game.

10. REX

REX Member

exactly first contact is made fairly early on many maps. OMG they are here already! like crossroad, canyon and so on.

well in that one min it will take to make a VF to do this exact same tactic the enemy team have spread very far out and someone will yell APC RUSH! MAIN BASE! MAIN BASE! and all hell breaks lose as veterans respawn as grenadiers and before they reach the base and they may even have ML in place + walls and crap if its a good team.

That 1 min delay at start means everything as a starting jeep might allow all out ninja in like 30sek even before people have organised and gotten into squad they get run over and their CV explodes.

11. Namron

Namron Member

I wrote:

• Depending on map size, the vehicles should begin to overheat if they reach X units from info_vehicle_start

On some maps it's a lot more than 30 seconds, and doing nothing but running for (at least) 30 seconds the first thing you do is just plain boring. It adds nothing.

On several maps you don't even run from point A (main base) to point B (somewhere at the center of the map, closer to the enemy), you run from main to a res spot behind main or way over at some corner of the map and so on. With vehicles, a team of engineers could reach those places, build the refs, head back to base and build some more stuff, pick rifleman or whatever in barracks, jump back into the jeep and head towards the action - quickly, not having to spend 90 % of the time running. Wee!

12. Balo

Balo Member

I cant believe some people complain about a RTS game being slow...

This isnt Counter Strike with vehicles guys...

13. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Info_vehicle_start doesn't exist, a placable vehicle wouldn't be called that either.

14. REX

REX Member

hmmm so its a special piece of crap heat jeep that only gets you out to the first refinery.

I know what you mean with the starting being slow, but I dont see any good solutions here.

A jeep that overheats no matter how slowly you progress that in no way acts like all the other jeeps in the game. That doesnt make sense at all. So if its been parked for a long time on the edge of the parimeter it imideatly overheats when you go in one direction, but not the other. Inconsistency is made out of pure evil when it comes to computer games.

If its like that we might aswell just ad jumppads like in quake and unreal and maybe up the walking speed to 300Mph. In UT3 they have the jet skatebord things but I dont think any transport will ever work well unless the base already had premade defences made like on Glycen.

15. Cheezy

Cheezy Member

Agreed with Rex.

16. Namron

Namron Member

Ramblings. I love when even games goes on for an hour or so. In no way is that related to the dullness of having to hold down the walk key, waiting for the actual game to commence.

In StarCraft, your camera view isn't focused on some other part of the map at the start and the scroll speed restricted, with you having to slowly scroll your screen to your base in order to start building and play the game.

Well, doh... I used "info_vehicle_start" as an example. Instead of me repeatedly quoting snippets from my earlier post, why don't you just read the whole thing at one go: http://forums.empiresmod.com/showpost.php?p=100961&postcount=15

There are plenty of solutions, and there have to be solutions in my opinion. The gameplay is somewhat flawed in its current state.

There could be pennants on the vehicles, they could have some rusty textures or whatever, and also have the name "starting jeep" and "starting AFV". That would be quite clear. Most newbies won't get it, but there's a lot of things in Empires a newbie doesn't understand right away so what difference will one more thing make?

17. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

In order to have placable vehicles in hammer, we'd need plugin support for hammer to make sure hammer can actually set the keyvalues correctly, AKA BE jeeps have 2 seats, while NF has 4, but since you need to use the same entity for jeeps to conserve space, you'd need to make sure hammer doesn't allows you to set "4 seats" for a BE jeep.

18. REX

REX Member

.... ok an entirely different vehicle would help a little bit on the inconsistency. BUT that still doesnt help me get over the whole overheats at a certain distance thing. Like some magic radius that it cant overcome... but still being able to do doughnuts forever at the starting point.

In that case I would much rather see it just run out of fuel.... but all that still seems very out of place to me. Im having a hard time imagening any solution that wont be crazy..... paraglider towers...... jetpacks.... squads being dropped by parachutes by commander.....:eek: LETS Go ALPHA TEAM RAWR! GO GO GO....

19. Cheomesh

Cheomesh Member

I think Jetpacks would be kind of cool, though ultimately...eh.

20. arklansman

arklansman Member

Yes, but how long does it take your little zerglings to get across the map. ;0
    All Players != Commander