Squad Voip channel

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Hikuso, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Hikuso

Hikuso Member

Don't know if it is at all possible, but having a seperate channel for squadbased voip communication would be good, to help free up the "main" channel of traffic, perhaps make it so only squadleaders and commanders can use the main channel.... but that might be too constricting.

2. Goose

Goose Member

Right now I feel very few people actually use their mic. The only time I see everyone having a mic is clan vs clan warfare. In which the clans tend to have a seperate VOIp program.

3. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

perhaps this could be achived by a variant of the "ignore" system in steam.
    Where upon pressing squad voice button It toggles to ignore players(and be ignored) not in your squad and a second button functions the default chat.

Would be a bit strain full on the server tho.

I agree with this suggestion whole heartedly.

4. Kitsun

Kitsun Member

I think this is a great idea, it makes squads seem more than just a way to get a free skill slot.

I think that the VOIP system needs to be improved in many other areas before thing one, right now it seems to be exactly the same as the default one in many other source games - inept for empires.

Displaying who is talking on the minimap is a good example of where the development needs to focus.

5. Hikuso

Hikuso Member

Agreed, i think there should be ome way to help people stick together as a squad, i would love people to band together with people they know they can work well together with. I mostly play as com, and saying "bravo does this and alpha does that" is really helpful when you can use it, very few games when you actually CAN do this however :(

Sorry for the bad grammar but i am currently drunk as a scotsman and shouldn't even be posting....

6. Cheezy

Cheezy Member

I see people using mics all the time when I play in the KM clan server.
    I'm not sure we need a squad-only voip channel. It won't disturb the other players or anything like that.

7. thaile

thaile Member

As it is right now, we don't really need a seperate squad voip channel. It's not like the all team talk is crowded with poeple giving commands. Just say something like"alpha squad go to ruin" in team talk to give commands to your team. This also has an added benefit of letting everyone else on your team know what you are going to do.

8. Kitsun

Kitsun Member

Thats because they do not want to spam the main VOIP channel with things unrelated to the entire team.

For example, me and some friends join out own squad and use Ventrilo to communicate, this is because everything we say is relative to us, "oh shit, theres a turrent behind the VF, go sabotage it" is either meaningless or confusing for other players.

9. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

You can use TS / Vent / Mumble to do this already (hierarchical VOIPing). I think we suggested an ingame hierarchy awhile ago (both text and voice) and nothing happened about it :|

10. Kitsun

Kitsun Member

Why use VOIP when you got Vent/TS?

Why use Vent/TS when you have a phone?

Why use a phone when you can just talk?

Why talk when you can use a series of blinks to communicate?

Its all a matter of convenience.