squad jam (for lack of a better name)

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Grantrithor, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

the scout squad skill recon is now obsolete since everyone has autospot, so what i'm thinking is changing it with like squad cover or squad jam or something, and what it does is hide your squad mates icons from the minimap from the enemy team.

pros: Recon, which was never used because of commander wallhax, and which will never be used because of active wallhax, can be replaced with something that does do something useful.
    tactical and stuff, makes the game kinda fun.

cons: I'm not really sure what the cons would be, so i'll let you guys spit them out at me.

2. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Shitty on it's own. Keep the spot back with it and it's actually a good idea. I genuinely like it.

3. Sneaky

Sneaky Member

So this ability would allow the entire squad to move around without showing up on the minimap, even when actively spotted by an enemy? And for a useful amount of time, like say 2 minutes or so?
    So the scout squad leader can pick between being invisible to players or being invisible on the minimap?

The only problem with a lot of squad abilities is that they're only really useful if the squad is actually working as a team, which on publics is a rarity to put it mildly. Unlimited stamina, increased damage and increased armor are pretty worthless without real teamwork. While gren arty, squad heal and squad revive can be managed by the squad leader without input from his squad, which is why those abilities are used so often.
    So if you want to turn recon into something good, it's a good idea to keep in mind that the squad leader should be able to make use of it without help from his team.

Here's a thought, recon could give the position of ALL enemy units, but not buildings or all enemy buildings, but not units on the minimap for the squad. That way it can be used to 'recon', even without the rest of the squad making use of it.

Or recon could give targets similar to the old commander targets for up to a minute, but that would again be most useful with teamwork.

Also, I'm wondering if hiding icons from the minimap is powerful enough compared to reviving fallen troops. It sounds pretty weak, but I've not been playing a lot so maybe the minimap has become a really powerful tool.

Shouldn't squad abilities get a major overhaul anyway? They're pretty unbalanced as far as usefulness en popularity is concerned.

4. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

it would be the passive ability
    you know? that thing you get when you are close to the squad leader

5. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

well, remove autospotting and itll be all good again... then we wouldnt need to change this skill D:

6. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

oh tough eh. how come everyone has to say that pubbers are shit players that have no teamwork skills. I am a pubber, and I am not shit at teamwork, and many players are pubbers and are not shit at teamwork. It doesn't even take a player like capguy(or OuNin w/e) to lead a squad, anyone can do it, most squads stick together. And it still takes a mild amount of teamwork to get the squad points to buy the squad skills that "take teamwork". And sometimes squad revive takes a real team to use effectively, it isn't a non-team effort, and it is common to see people do killspawn - squad rev correctly. Anyways this skill isn't simply a cheaper squad hide, it is still effective non team work wise.

@ f1r3w4rr10r
    I like that idea.

7. Sneaky

Sneaky Member

Where did I ever say pubbers are "shit" or "don't have teamwork skills"?
    I didn't. What i said was pubbers rarely use teamwork. And they don't. They know how to play as a team and they can play as a team, they just don't, not unless there's someone on the mic yelling at them to do it.
    I suspect it's something of a mentality thing, you can't teamplay without someone else "doing it first", thus noone goed beyond basic teamplay to the levels that allow blatanty overpowered shit.

I'm talking about a squad piling into an apc and raping anything on their way, with rev engies, grens and soldiers and taking out enemy bases quickly.
    Or a group of rev engies attacking right at the start and being impossible to kill.
    Or a squad of 1 scout, 1 rev engy and 3 soldiers rushing into the enemy base under cover of squadhide and sticky-ing the enemy cv to death before anyone realizes what happened.
    Or the same scenario with 1 scout and 4 grens.

I have never seen pubbers using that level of teamplay. Just staying together doesn't count as active teamplay, in fact not staying together would be actively not teamplaying.

Look, pubbers don't teamplay, they just don't. At best they're all shooting in the same general direction and in are staying close proximity to each other. But thats fine, it just means you don't model the game around clan-level, teamspeak-organized teamplay.

And I also like the passive ability idea.

8. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

since you like to correct the bad english of others, ill help you improve yours too ;)
    went, its went - go is an irregular verb so its: go, went, gone :p

hth, you parttime grammar nazi,
    flasche

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  9. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I do believe he meant "goes", check the meaning using both options and you'll see.

D the part-time grammar nazi

The passive ability version seems OP to me, but a recon replacement for, say, 4 or 5 points, sure - why not.

D the commenter

10. Sneaky

Sneaky Member

Then let me correct your sense of style:

..., thus noone goes beyond basic teamplay ...

It was a typo, not a grammar mistake. Honestly, "went"? That sounds atroctious when everything else is in present tense.
    And the 'd' is even right next to the 's', what kind of conlusion is a completely different tense than intended?

**edit**

Whoopsy, I went and replied before reading D's post.
    Hmm, I'm a bit touchy about being corrected I suppose.
    Whatever, at least I have my sense of smell, which is smelling some really tasty food right now. Dinnertime.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  11. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i got to admit, i didnt even read you post. that word just jumped at me ... :D

mea culpa, nichts für ungut ;)