Split mines into anti personnel mines and anti tank mines.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by urethra franklin, Aug 9, 2013.

1. urethra franklin

urethra franklin Member

This change is pretty simple, just split mines into anti personnel mines, which do less damage but can be triggered by vehicles or infantry, and anti tank mines, which do more damage but can only be triggered by higher pressure on the ground (tanks)

This would make barracks mining alot less bullshit.

2. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

No fuck you, go gren like everyone else and defuse the mines instead of playing scout with a sniper.

3. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

I nearly spat out my lungs.

4. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

[​IMG]

But honestly though, there's no way that this is a unique idea.

5. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

I do not condone this post in any fashion, and am only disappointing myself by dignifying it with a response.
    To save what little dignity I pretend to have left, I am making my reply invisible. Good day.

6. urethra franklin

urethra franklin Member

I never said it was unique, it's just a good way to make mines feel less like cheapshots on infantry maps, and also weakens mining the barracks.

7. Sitka

Sitka Member

[​IMG]
    these fucking things
    *prprft* ... *boom*

8. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i wouldnt have figured out what is meant without a picdurr explaining it ...

9. Sitka

Sitka Member

half-balding man with dubious facial expression holding ready a baseball bat in front of a fence which in turn is in front of a blue background.

10. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Teef's old avatar?

11. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I think I suggested splitting the mines years ago, and I'm fairly sure people suggested it before I did. The idea has gone around for a while.

I think I said that anti-tank mines could be the kind that are more buried and just have the little sticks poking up through the ground. I forget exactly.

Now, I'm not hugely bothered either way. It's not a bad idea but I don't really think it would have the huge effect that I used to think it would have. I doubt it would really make much of a difference.

12. ImSpartacus

Yeah, I don't think vehicle or infantry combat would be changed significantly. I tend to see mines that are placed to stop vehicles or infantry, but not both.

The benefits would come from not allowing the crazy versatility that the gren has right now. He has to pick which kind of mines he wants. Or hell, you could even move one kind of mines to an entirely different class.

And then there are other minor benefits. You could make one kind of mine more visible than the other, or allow a player to carry more of one kind of mine. Little things like that.

13. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

[​IMG]

14. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I can has trip wire claymore for silly doorways?

15. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Actually, having a different set of mines would probably BENEFIT the grenadier in some cases.
    With tank mines, you remove the easy way of defusing mines: Jumping on them.

16. ImSpartacus

It's late and I'm kinda thinking out my ass right now, but it would be cool if anti infantry mines were bear traps.

They would be easily visually discernable from anti vehicle mines and one mine would believably damage only one player instead of his entire squad. And finally, you could rationalize no vehicle damage from anti infantry mines. Check mate.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  17. urethra franklin

urethra franklin Member

Nf has bear traps and BE has claymores?

But in my suggestion you don't need to rationalize no vehicle damage from AP mines because they do damage, just not as much as a full AT mine.

AT mines wouldn't go off on infantry because they want to conserve their resources for that much high explosives and set it to require a certain amount of ground pressure

Or you could just set mines to have friendly fire.

18. Sitka

Sitka Member

Even though we still have instakill melee and shit it would still seem ridiculous to instantly die to a bear trap.

Also if you're going to split them and thereby decrease total ammo for AP capable mines, it wouldn't hurt to let them do damage to multiple people.

If we're going non-explosive, it would be cool to have these:
    [​IMG]

Oh wait. Sorry flaschist flasche, i meant "caltrops". Good luck for those who don't use that term where you live or simply don't know what they are!

Maybe make you force-prone (or a faster version thereof to simulate falling) and only kill you if you fall on more of them.

It would fit very well for the NF, anyway.

On the subject of weapons, i love BFV for its bold move to grant (sometimes very) different weapons to the various factions (even dependent on map sometimes). It freshened up gameplay so much.

19. ImSpartacus

At this point, I'm not concerned with your flavor of this particular idea.

If a game wants to split mines in this kind of way, they need to differentiate them somehow. They shouldn't just be weaker AT mines.

I used to think that AP mines would have to do some token amount of AT damage, but if you use bear traps, then you don't.

Insta-kill AP mines are a bad idea.

Instantly dying to a mine seems cheap. People on these forums will croon on that you can easily avoid them, but you can't. You have to play each map a million times to anticipate the best mine spots.

If you want to spend 2-3 mines on one "spot" to ensure an instant death, then that's cool. It's a fair tradeoff against spreading them out.

I kinda like the caltrop thing. NF has cheap spikey things and BE has sophisticating bear traps. They both do a bit of damage and potentially slow down their targets.

But again, we're just spouting bullshit. This would require model work to not be shitty.

20. Sitka

Sitka Member

You realize this game isn't supposed to be played like CS right?
    The general idea isn't your typical "stand still for two seconds and be called a camper".
    Sure it works now, but it would genuinely make Empires better to encourage actual squad play and careful advancement on the battlefield.
    Instakill mines are part of this.

Like you said we are spouting BS, but seriously instakill mines are far from OP if you got your flashlight and wits about you.