Spartacuspires

Discussion in 'Coding' started by ImSpartacus, Mar 2, 2014.

1. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Grant, I love you, but you're out of your fucking mind if you think you can get a vf to build one of those using only scripts.

[sub]...if you find a way to do it, I'll give you the blowjob of a lifetime.[/sub]

You don't even need the LT turret. It's a simple parameter in the scripts.

I just used the LT turret because it looks cooler, lol.

2. 101010

101010 Member

Not hard just change the vehicle script to the lvl3 ml mdl.
    //file name for the vehicle model
    "Turret Model" "models/nf/vehicles/ground/tankheavy/turret.mdl"

Change to
    "models\nf\turrets\ml_lvl3.mdl"

3. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

I think he was reffering to it taking too much space or whatever to get out of a vf.

4. Drag0wn

Drag0wn Member

I tried using a level 3 ML turret as a tank turret or cannon, and as a turret, your POV in stuck inside the vehicle, while everything else seems to work. As a cannon, you lose ability to scan up/down.

I don't know why these happen, but it is annoying.

5. ImSpartacus

Omg, I just noticed that the lvl3 replaced the cannon or turret. I thought he stuck it on top of a tank with a stick chassis, turret & cannon.

That doesn't look half bad. Fuck bones, let's do eet.

6. ImSpartacus

I hope Trickster chimes in, but I'll bet that the turret models have "eyes" for the driver to look through where the lvl3 model doesn't.

There might also be something similar if you use it as a cannon.

7. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

That's all I can really think of to be honest. I can't say I've ever tried to use a turret as the...well, turret.

8. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

If only we understood how models worked or what happened in the game code.

I found out that you can use player model for the turret, but if you use player model for the tank chassis (I was trying to make soldiers with cannons for heads) the game crashes, I guess because the player model doesn't have the right animations that the tanks do? Also trying to build a tank that had chassis of NF comm, and cannon of heavy tank makes it crash as well.

I think we need a full explanation of how the code and models work for us scripters with no knowledge of how the code and models work. I tried through scripts to make weapons controllable through the second seat but the vehicle wouldn't build when I did that.

9. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

That's quite the undertaking you know... Generally, I try to answer questions that are either easy to answer or will directly help with what goes into a patch because that's important. Past that, it becomes hard for to rationalize answering complex questions that are being used for things that are very unlikely to ever actually go into an official release. I'd do it if I had sufficient time, but with the kind of workload I pull at college, it's sort of a balancing act for me.

10. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

My sentence seemed a bit demanding, but I meant it more generally, that someone who wants to play with scripts would also need to know what happens in the code.

The main thing that I want to understand is these parameters, the reference is the script file for the LT.

[​IMG]
    [space]
    [​IMG]

Firstly, is there already code support for second seat vehicle weapons, or is that part of the scripts something that was meant for the game but never made it? And secondly, how would someone who wants to create scripts know what the different "bones" are for vehicles and how they difer.

Also what does the "seat_n_turret" parameter do? It seems to be 0 in all of the scripts.

11. Drag0wn

Drag0wn Member

I was going to try that myself with a jeep, have a second seat with a size two missile launcher. I should get around to it, see what happens (might be bugged POV, or no crosshair, or not function at all entirely).

12. ImSpartacus

I can provide a speculative answer for your second question.

Based on my testing, the bones are markers in each turret that tell the game where a projectile should come out of the vehicle.

For example, the lt turret has (at least?) three bones, one for each weapon. One tells cannon shells to "come out of" the barrel, one tells missiles to "come out of" the left side and one tells mg bullets to "come out of" the right side.

For example, I made an LT mk 2.5 that only exchanges the 1-slot mg for a 1-slot ml. This is better than removing the mg and making the ml a 2-slot because it looks cooler with the two missiles coming out next to each other and flying toward the target as a pair. Compare that to the stock medium with two std mls. They overlap and it looks like shit.

I haven't tested the other things you mentioned, but I encourage you to test them and share your findings.

13. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

I know what the "bones" do, what I wanted to know what the names of the bones are.

In other words, I want the names of the bones on the model where I can shoot things. Like a list. In a handy text file. That I can have open beside this text file. And break the game.

edit: I noticed only 1 difference between teh bones, and that's if the name of the bone starts with "t" it stands for turret and if it starts with "c" it stands for cannon.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  14. Drag0wn

Drag0wn Member

Well I've tried arming the jeep but all I get is crashes when selected, I'm assuming it has to deal with bones though, and how jeeps are not designed to fire weapons.

Attempting to arm seat 2 with a regular vehicle now!

15. Drag0wn

Drag0wn Member

It seems that Empires doesn't support second seat weapons; I've messed with a variety of settings but the game doesn't want to give turret control to a second seat, and even if weapons are set to a second seat, there is no way of selecting what mouse button uses the weapons (as if you could make a tank and set none of it's weapons to use a mouse button).

16. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

You do know there's an absolute fuck tonne on the Empires wiki right Grantrithor? Like seriously a shit load of information on there regarding the scripts.

17. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Sorry trickster for not reading it, I was always under the impression that the wiki was horribly outdated but I'll give it a look.

edit: There's nothing here...

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  18. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I think I have an interesting solution to the whole thing... I am going to need to test this with people live though so I can get this tuned. It involves changing the vehicle weight, tire weight, and tire properties. Also adjustments to springs.

I duno how to host so I am going to need to work with someone on this who will host. Sparticus? I will be on tomorrow (same post time -2) for 3 hours.

19. ImSpartacus

I know. I read Trickster's post and got a half-chub. Then I checked the wiki and saw dem dead links...

It's probably too late tonight. I'll be around tomorrow at like 5pm eastern 'Murica time.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  20. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Well.. shoot your time is too late for me. :( Guess it can wait till Saturday/Sunday.

Screw it... testing out now.

edit:
    Found the perfect settings for single flip over unbuilt walls.

you know... its hard to test drive things when there is about a .6 delay to the driving commands for some reason.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014