Sound volume issue

Discussion in 'Support' started by WalMartGreeter, Jul 17, 2010.

1. WalMartGreeter

WalMartGreeter Member

For quite a while, I had this problem where out-of-game sound from other applications (Firefox, Teamspeak, etc.) would be reduced whenever I join an empires game. The sound would be ~ -3db (about half) what it was before I joined the game. If I was to restart the application (e.g. a media player) while I'm in-game, the sound would play fine UNTIL there is a map change, then the sound is reduced again. None of the in-game volume adjustments affect it (as expected) and I see no changes to the volume for any of those applications.

I don't know if this is a feature of the mod/engine, similar to snd_ducktovolume when you use your mic which can be adjusted, or a bug. By the way, this problem is exclusively in Empires mod as I have tested it on other Half-Life 2 mods.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  2. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I have heard similar complaints about other games. Im sure you have windows 7 then. Windows 7 does it automatically because it detects that you are no longer paying attention to it so it lowers the sound. There was a way to disable that but I don't remember atm.

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Right click the sound icon in the bottom right.
    Click Playback devices.
    Click the Communications tab.
    Click in the "Do nothing" circle.
    Click Ok
    ??????????????????????????????
    Profit.

4. WalMartGreeter

WalMartGreeter Member

I have done that before, yet nothing has changed. Keep in mind that this is an unique issue with Empires mod. I have NEVER had this issue with TF2, Portal, Borderlands, etc. I noticed when you are in Empires and enter Options or Controls, the background music for empires is temporarily reduced by a similar amount. I'm not sure if both situations are related.

5. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

but you DO have windows 7 right?

6. WalMartGreeter

WalMartGreeter Member

Yes. I'll reiterate that this problem only occurs in Empires mod.

7. vlamnire

vlamnire Member

Seems like a "useful" feature gone wrong.

8. WalMartGreeter

WalMartGreeter Member

I was able to fix the problem a few days ago, though I'm not 100% sure what was the fix. I believe it was when I changed my Speaker Config (Options->Audio) from "2-Speaker" to "Headphone" and back to "2-Speaker" (I usually use a bluetooth headset). Now Empires does not knock down the volume of other applications. The in-game sounds were initially loud after these changes so my game/music volume are now around 10-15% from full volume. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

9. Trent

Trent Member

It was set that way based on your Steam ID for mic spamming and raging. :p