So i watched Aliens again...

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Varbles, May 21, 2011.

1. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

and it made me want to make more empires maps with that kind of theme. Not the Aliens themselves per se but the scenes and visuals that inspired so many other sci fi movies and games. I'm sure we have a few maps with architecture and aesthetics like that, but you can never get enough of it.

If you have any awesome inspiration screenshots of stuff along those lines e.g. most of James Cameron's stuff, other grimdark sci fi movies, or other games like alien breed or alien swarm, post it! :gasmask:

2. harryhoot1

harryhoot1 Member

where have you been varbles?

let me help you with this map

3. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

Aliens :3.. they're coming out of the goddamn walls!

you should put random half life 2 monsters in the map that spawns rarely, random times, and at high traffic areas. you are BE and you are fighting NF for the control of a mining ship USG ishimuro.. but there's an infestation onboard..

itll be funny to see a guy get stabbed by an antlion and both NF and BE starts attacking the antlion before fighting each other again lol. reminds me of the underwater battle for ThunderBall with 007 where a shark comes to investigate the blood from the battle.. then the badguys and the good guys temporarily shoot the shark instead of each other.

empires need more cool and/or varied maps... need more john shandy maps to be honest. pretty chill and revolutionary maps for empires.

4. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

make a duststorm/emp_dune like map with shifting quick-sands and put a huge sandworm "swimming" up on random locations. When you get stuck in the quick sand you drown quickly and end up in an underground cave with npc fast zombies. :)

also empires needs more maps with non purpose serving gimmicks, like Chris' "blackhole generator"

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  5. Varbles

I'm not talking about Dune, i'm pretty much referring to the exact opposite end of the sci fi theme spectrum, dark Bladerunner-esque scenes with floodlights and smoke and metal construction everywhere.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

as much as i dont like the series, I guess Firefly would be a good example too, at some points

6. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

After nearly 3 decades of games being heavily inspired by aliens, Varbles catches on as well.

7. Krazer

Krazer Member

King kinda gives off an Aliens feel.

8. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Thanks!

I do like the films an awful lot, didn't realise I had actually made the map like them though.

If I did that's a real compliment.

Although thinking back I probably did get the idea for the outdoor sound straight from alien.

9. RappemongO

RappemongO Member

[​IMG]
    Giant asian lady commercial is a must!

[​IMG]
    Fucked up versions of architectural classics, like the Bradbury building.

[​IMG]
    Tyrells office. Breaking up the dark, rainy gloom with some warm colors.

Check out these forums. Some good stuff there.

Also: This thread makes me want to play Blade Runner again. Wonder where I left them discs... :(

10. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I really need to watch blade runner.

11. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

Careful, there are three different versions. The newer ones are supposedly artistic and stuff, but it's really confusing. The original shown in theaters had a voiceover that actually means the movie makes sense, but some people don't like it because whatever.

12. Varbles

what? theres the theatrical release and the directors cut, one of which adds an extra few minutes on the movie and changes the ending

13. мrвlυeѕĸy

мrвlυeѕĸy Member

Wonder if we could decompile and recompile some Natural Selection 1 maps - and steal the textures/sounds etc.... thats practically an Aliens rip-off and could be quite fun.