So how would adoption change the game?

Discussion in 'General' started by Worlder, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Worlder

Worlder Member

Some great games started out as mods, Team Fortress 2, Counter Strike.

So I wonder if Empires was adopted by Valve what would be changed by the Valve team?

More art, more story?

Would would the company people do to add to the existing mod before releasing it as a standalone?

2. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

They would fuck it up?

I wouldn't like to see this right now, as there is too much up in the air on the development front. When it's more fully developed, maybe.

But seriously, there is so much that needs to be done, I would not like to see it done at a corporate level.

3. spellman23

spellman23 Member

Sorry. Not high profile enough to get "adopted". Plus, they don't adopt games like this. They stick with their bread-and-butter FPS games, not the FPS-RT/s blend.

Most likely changes would be
    1) better art/music
    2) better GUI
    3) cleaner (maybe simplified) gameplay

I doubt they would add story, but they may add a better sens of purpose and objectives.

4. Zealoth

Zealoth Member

they would simplify (dumb) this game, to prevent most people from ragequitting it.
    Maybe better graphics...

5. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

One thing to remember is that Valve doesn't fully take over, they keep on the original devs and provide help where it's needed.

6. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

fixed

And even if they kept the dev team it would be very bad for community input because players and community members wouldn't matter anymore.

7. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

And the suggestion forums is taken very seriously, ofcoarse.

8. Wertbarg

Wertbarg Member

the suggestion forums should be taken seriously; they are how the community makes its mark upon the game.
    I understand it is common for people in this community to discount the (in some cases) deep consideration and creativity of those people on the suggestion forums who are trying to further the development of the game. This common mindset is wrong and hinders our ability to improve the interest that we all share. As another long term veteran of this mod, I am deeply offended by your lack of empathy for those who post their ideas where they rightfully belong.

Now, back to the topic: adoption would probably have a large number of pros and cons to the development of the game. at this stage, it could be highly synonymous to a premature birth. In it's current form, it is semi-underdeveloped and does not have all of its features (like aircraft), and has the possibility of dieing due to an awkward hand off. However, under cooperate care, development of some kind would then rapidly and effectively take off, which could dramatically increase the success of the mod.

9. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

I know that many devs do read the suggestion forums, but the todo list is already huge so if you dont see your beloved suggestion immediately ingame dont get too worked up.

10. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

And you have to consider the pure fucking stupidity most suggestions are, born from a single persons selfish wants, inconsiderate of factors like development time and how it affects the game.

11. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

I think any takeover would start with recoding empires almost from scratch.

It needs to be done eventually, as it hasn't been done in a while. Imagine taking a clean paragraph, then scratching out, adding, etc for 5~ years. It wouldn't look so clean afterwards.

12. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

KaneTW is cleansing the code, no worries.

13. Theowningone

Theowningone Noone likes me :'(

i dont want adoption, no way, no how. Things that made the mod what it was get lost in adoption. I mean look at synergy, i used to know the guy that ran the #1 server, we hung out a lot, knew some of the syn devs, and knew the community. Since its adoption no one has visited smeg, no one cares about the community, and its filled with douchebags. I wont even install the new synergy, although i still play 2.6 of it. Adoption breaks mods. Best kept secrets are kept secret. Last thing we needs is more chopper douchebags. People download this mod because they think its cool and its worth something, steam users would download it just because its free.

14. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

I think valve would make the game:

-less rage
    -more battlefield like
    -less military models
    -bigger and slower tanks
    -more hightech-shit names, less association with real stuff (high range facility vehicle (arty) and elektro-balls-cutter (engytool) wtf)
    -expensive

or short: -BORING