So, a new idea for the scout

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Aranjedeath, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Aranjedeath

Aranjedeath Member

I developed this idea with the help of Caelo (sorry to drag you into this)
    But, I think it sounds viable and it might go over well.
    I think the current scout rifle should have its Damage cut (approximately) in half
    (rc15 settings) and the reload time (again approximately) doubled.
    Then, transfer the camera ability (the camera turret thingies) to the scout from the engie, to include the scout in a more team based role.
    I'm not sure how hed setup the camera, maybe something like the old nf long mine setup anim, but for a camera.

Another idea, that I thought of (and Im sure this one may have been brought up before) is that we could change the sniper rifle, as it currently is, into a pump shotty. (like the pistol though alittle more powerful short range (up to 20 meters)).

I am sure everyone has tired of hearing about the rifle, but a decision needs to be made before the dev team implements an awp and completely stops the scout from having any other use than an 'awp' whore similar to that seen in CSS.

A note, try not to flame me, I have seen some going on in the past related to this subject, I merely want to see something consensed upon, even if its only that my ideas suck and/or the current setup sucks.

-Aranjedeath

2. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

I'll flame you all I want!!!!

Your momma is SO FAT, she thought the DIG-IN skill was for going to all-you-can-eat buffets!!!!

Seriously, though. If you cut the reload time, people will just want the gun to be more powerful so the one shot they actually pull off counts.

Like I said before, I don't have too much of a problem with the current scout rifle, maybe cut the damage a little bit, but in order to foster discussion, I remind you of Beerdude's carbine idea as well as the pump shotty.

As for giving the scout the camera, i don't think that's needed-- remember, the binoculars just got a big boost in RC 14, I think more time needs to be spent to see how well they work.

3. arklansman

arklansman Member

I suggested the camera and the shotty for the scout. :( (at least I think the shotty was my idea)

I really don't think there is a problem now though.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2007
  4. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

The scout rifle is fine I think... People don't stand still in Empires usualy; and they run alot faster then anyone in CS; so getting a shot out is alot harder. All you have to do to avoid the scout is use the "A" and "D" keyes to chaoticly strafe back and foward while advancing...

Now that scouts can sabotage turrets; they are quite usefull in base assults and especialy usefull in CDR_Canyon to break through the undefended turret walls...

Camera could be given the scout thats a pretty good idea though... and set up like the mine or something (A bar will stretch foward with an animation of the scout "Unfolding" the camera into place)

5. The Buttery Lobster

Man.... I wanted a "Yo Momma" fight with an Empires theme.

6. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

yo mama needs a damage upgrade skill for her crabs comb(is that the name of them?).. haha sry i kno its not that funny

but i like the shotty idea for the fact that scouts can be the best for long range and close encounters...

7. The Buttery Lobster

8. Angry

Angry Junior Member

Here's an idea.... Light Carbine

9. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I like the scout rifle a lot as it is, it generally sucks in med - short range combat (as it should), so scouts either have to get really close or stay back, which is nice.

I don't think this is a class that assaults and is at the front line, that's for rifleman and their ASSAULT rifles.

----------------------------------------------

here's an idea for scouts i've been NOOOOOMYFCKINGPIZZAISBURNING cooking for some time:

change the "vehicles do not appear on radar" skill to an "avoid camras" skill. what this does is:

stops scouts and their vehicles appearing on enemy radar

-UNLESS (in radar/camra range and) an enemy player has "f menu" spotted their vehicle
    or is looking at them if they are infantry and are in

also gives scouts an icon on their hud showing when they would have been spotted, so that they know that they become spotted if in the line of sight of an enemy.

10. The Buttery Lobster

lol oh noes! Sandbag's Pizza! What kind of heartless God would allow this to happen?!

*plays taps*

Also, I like Sandbag's idea, except for the icon showing they've been spotted. I guess it wouldn't be too hard to program (when someone f spots them, they get a warning) but I think if they do get spotted they certainly shouldn't know about it. If ANYTHING, this is something that goes into the "enhanced senses" skill, which is already powerful enough, as is.

edit:
    Wait, HOT pizza for breakfast? Sandbag, you so crazy!

11. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

If scouts are invisible to cameras, they'll be unstoppable. We had a scout in our base, and the big radar was not picking him up, finally someone dropped a camera and we were able to find him. Without that camera, we're screwed

12. The Buttery Lobster

yeah, that's very true, now that I think about it. Maybe, at most, shorten the effective range of the camera when this skill is taken, but that's IT.

I suggested this whole "hide from cameras" skill back before scout sabotage was instituted, hoping to increase scout usefulness. But now I don't think it's needed.

Plus, now you can actually destroy cameras with bullets.

13. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

that's true. If you're a scout, just blast the camera, you can melee in stealth

14. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

The large radar only spots vehicles.

15. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

what exactly do the miniradars do? i know that they don't spot player built turrets because my team has tried that many a time on district and it doesn't work.

I thought miniradars were precisely to see enemy vehicles....

-----------------------------

what i meant about the icon showing the scout when he has been spotted is an icon showing him when he would have been spotted by a camra, but now isn't. this was kind of tied to an idea that turrets should be able to shoot scouts that are detected by camras, so you can put a camra by a turret to stop it being sabotaged (obviously the camra will have to be cleverly placed somewhere, not just next to the turret, or people will shoot it)

-----------------------------

this was actually all tied to a "steal research" idea that i had, where a scout, if he got into your radar, could press use on a console, brouse your research tree, find a research that he wanted to steal, remain stealing it for 1/6 of the time it took to research (i.e 20 seconds for a two minute research), and then if he got back to a friendly radar, he would be able to give his team the research.

16. Caelo

Caelo Member

I would just like to say that the camera transfer idea wasn't mine but heh anyways..
    I just want the Scout to be more involved in teamplay.. As it is now I think engineers have too much on their hands and the Scout too little. I do agree with Lobster though that the scout already had a big boost this RC..

17. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

The mini radar is just like a big radar with smaller range. It detects vehicles and buildings.

18. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

It detects bulidings? I'm not sure if I've ever seen one detect turrets or cameras

19. Doggeti

Doggeti Former Developer

Here is how I imagine the 'perfect' scout:
    • Mark infinite units at once with binoculars (as it is now) and keep them marked until they die (maybe it is already like that, I don't know)
    • Let the scout set up cam and small radar and remove that ability from the Engi class. Keep spotted enemies marked until they die, like they where spotted with binoculars.
    • Give one rank point for every 2nd marked unit that is killed to the scout who had spotted it last.
    • Replace the high damage scout rifle ammunition by a low damage but infecting uranium projectile. (10 direct hit damage, 1 radioation damage every 2 seconds until healed). This way you avoid the unwanted 1-hit-kill-from-other-side-of-map effect but at the same time you keep 1 to 2 enemies bussy. The one who is infected is looking for that scout and a medic and also the medic who has to heal the infected.
    • And of course the sabotage ability as it is now.

20. Caelo

Caelo Member

I'm not sure you actually want players marked indefinately.
    that would:
    1. remove a pixerduhduhs purpose
    2. be very very very annoying on large maps
    3. unrealistic (I know I know, but this would really go out of line IMO)