Smoke Launchers for Tanks

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Unit 1126 PLL, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Unit 1126 PLL

Unit 1126 PLL Member

I ran a search for this and didn't find it, and I also looked in the "Organize Stuff" sticky and didn't find it there...

so here goes...

I would like to suggest a smoke-grenade launcher for tanks. Tanks in the real, modern world have them, and use them when they are outgunned to get away in peace.

I can see this working with the gameplay in Empires to provide tanks with a way to withdraw from combat without simply turning around and hoping they could get away. I view this as being an implimentation of the Scout's smoke grenades, although much faster acting and going away much faster. It would be an upgrade that one would equip to one's tank during customization, and have a resource and weight cost just like any weapon.

This smoke was present in Battlefield 2, although it didn't work very well there. I was thinking it would fit better in Empires as it is actually important, sometimes, that you escape with your tank intact and also it could be implemented more effectively.

IT SHOULD NOT AFFECT MISSILE TURRETS!

Pros:

Allows players a way to escape with their tanks
    An alternative to simply fleeing and hoping they make it
    Provides the tank active defenses against all player-operated weapons
    A defensive weapons option would be interesting, I think, in terms of choices

Cons:

May cause lag from too much smoke
    Would require thinking about position on tank (GL? MG? Something else?)
    Implementation of scout grenade could be complex

2. communism

communism poof

3. petemyster

petemyster Member

yeah, a good idea. Though maybe not act like a smoke grenade. It should be continous for 3 seconds, so when you run away there's a thick trail of smoke. Though that would cause lag, i think.

4. Empty

Empty Member

A very slow reload, single burst of 5 smokes in all directions is a good way, it's hard to spam it, and it gets the job done right.

5. Unit 1126 PLL

Unit 1126 PLL Member

Yes, a slow reload would be necessary, maybe even one-go before needing to get ammo. But alot of smoke that one time would be needed, at least enough to obscure the profile of an NF heavy tank.

6. arklansman

arklansman Member

Why? A scout can spam throw smoke grenades just fine.

7. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

Yeah but you wouldnt go scout and take smoke grenades with the intention of hopping out your tank and throwing smoke cover for yourself so you can get back in and flee, would you? I never take grenade launcher for my APC but I could see myself taking and using smoke grenade launcher for it.

8. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I don't even think that scouts should have smokes.. I've never once seen them used as a tactic! They are only spammed by the losing team on district to piss people off..

9. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

Smoke can be effective if used well, but then how many people who choose scouts are teamplayers or ever consider using advanced techniques such as tactics?

10. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I thought this would get pwned quicker tbh. Is this going to be in the research tree? If so, is it a viable upgrade - i.e. is it worth the time? I think I should point out that utilising a Plasma MG would surely paralyse the other vehicle much quicker than you could spam smoke and also smoke is soo ridiculously the friend to enemy sticky naders.

Now, if you said implement it as a corrosive gas, well then I could see that working...

11. arklansman

arklansman Member

Then you toss a couple into a barracks and lulz spawn rape.

12. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

I dont think it would be worth the hassle of researching, but wouldn't be so powerful that you cant start with it like you start with a normal grenade launcher. If you like, it could be upgraded when you achieve the normal grenade upgrade, TBH i dont know what upgraded tank nade launcher actually does but the same could be applied to the smoke grenades, bigger puffs of smoke, you can deploy more at once, whatever.
    Well thats a good thing not a bad thing surely? If the enemy is using tanks and using smoke launchers effectively it would encourage you to get plasma, this isnt any different to any other aspect of the game in terms of balance. Also, the friend of enemy sticky grenaders can also be turned to be the friend of friendly sticky naders in the right situation. Again, its all balance and its all good.
    That would be cool too, perhaps with a nade research upgrade this could be added as an option. I think corrosive gas is mentioned in another thread, and while I like the idea myself I have a feeling it has been shot down already?

EDIT:
    Yes I see the downside of corrosive gas now :sick: But my other points remain

13. Unit 1126 PLL

Unit 1126 PLL Member

Also, Iklax, it isn't an offensive weapon, or really supposed to be used in offensives. Sometimes, it's important that one's tank survives, for a variety of reasons. To increase survivability in these situations, one could equip smoke launchers, which would hide his tank (somewhat) and allow him to get away if he finds himself outgunned.

As for it being researchable, I don't think it needs to be. If we make it hard to spam, then it really doesn't do anything to the enemy team. We can't spawnrape with smoke, we can't kill anything with smoke, the worst we could do is hide ourselves (or spam it, but ideally the game mechanics wouldn't allow that).

14. Empty

Empty Member

Used right on an APC... Oh god yes.

15. Vaun

Vaun Member

I actually suggested smoke grenades (and a few other ideas) for apc grenade upgrades, requiring ugl first. Give me a sec to dig up the link...

http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?t=5825

People seemed to like the smoke launcher idea, it would make getting ugl useful, and would promote cooperation (between tanks and apcs), and would make apcs more useful than a barracks building. Though a few people suggested researchable amphibiousness for APCs in future releases (when boats and modifiable chassis come out).

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  16. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

how about a researchable single slot grenade launcher for the apc that can fire smoke grenades?

didnt read the whole thread so it mightve been suggested before ;)

edit: ignore this post i just did read it the other posts

17. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Actually, I kinda meant vehicle effective only...or if effective against infantry, more like a decrementing aura (something opposite to the healing aura of an engy squad leader).

Anyway, that's not the point, it's just that smoke seems a little...rubbish. I can see the need, but we could use something more ingenious that would be worth getting - things that short out the enemy engine for a while, or slow them down would work too. I dunno, I just don't see smoke really being used for anything except abuse. You could also get people spamming smoke around and then hopping out of tanks to sticky the enemy, seen as using the tank would be less effective.

18. Vaun

Vaun Member

Maby the corosive gas can be countered by researching chem-suits (like a more army-ish HEV suit), possibly deployed by research then they spawn in the rax/armory?

Also, the chemicle gas would have to be researched after smoke nades or something similar.

19. Dannyboy

Dannyboy Member

what if the smoke was think enough to clog the engine and deprive of air, so smoke can only be useful for early game, but when the enemy get 3 phase and such, its only used a shield and a cover.

20. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

lol... I had typed out a whole rant about how "THICK" smoke would have to be to stop an engine but, I decided it was to harsh. Lets just say... if it was "THICK" enough to stop an engine it wouldn't be smoke or its a huge canister of CO2 that would also kill the driver in any case.

Myth Busters FTW!