small heat change

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by blizzerd, Jan 7, 2011.

1. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

small heat change, wont fix things but patch up

when overheated, a tank will stop moving, but can still fire as much as he wants (but doing so makes him overheat even more)

heat gives an advantage if used properly (mobility) but no longer rapes fun as you sit there doing nothing in an overheated tank

options that open up when this is included:

-gren can have a large heat on damage for the rpg, basically stunning tanks from running away taking away the mobility still giving it a fighting chance because it can still fire but cannot drive untill most of the grenadiers are taken out (basically a fix for the "tanks rush in kill stuff and rush back out repair and repeat because the grens dps can never be high enough to make this not an effective strategy"

-weapons that do heat damage (plasma) can be made usefull (heat on damage being high cuts out mobility for the enemy) without being annoying to the enemy or over powered

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i dont like the whole damage to heat mechanic, unless it would be a deffinitive effect of a weapon like plasma or stunstickies, just because its so much more easier to get and consider tank combat without it.
    i think tanks should only get overheated by firing their weapons. there should be hull damage dependend heat levels per engine* that limit you before your tank shuts down completely, but at max heat you should be a sitting duck because you deserve it.

example:
    heat in percent -> max speed in percent
    • 0-39 -> 100
    • 40-69 -> 90
    • 70-89 -> 50
    • 90-99 -> 20
    • 100 -> 0, plus weapons fail

*i think hull damage should decrease your engine's max heat and heat dissipation. in addition heat dissipation should be decreased if your engine gets hot, this would make less, aimed shots more attractive over spamming your weapons. the engines heat would also determine max speed and acceleration in levels (see above list).

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  3. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

im not talking about damage to heat, thats something else

and as engines are handles now your example is impossible to get

heat turns down horsepower atm, but sadly you need less horsepower to keep your speed then to increase it

so if you get overheated it goes like this

|-----------A----B-C|

A= the engine can no longer move as fast if the person stands still, but drives on at the same speed like if normal as long as he does not stop

B= the engine will start to slow down if it has momentum to a lower speed (and starts stalling on certain engines) and will not start up again if speed is 0

C= the engine stops working and stops the tank

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  4. flasche

you do ...

5. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

heat on damage =/= damage to heat

heat on damage = a set amount of heat added if the enemy is hit

damage to heat is a scaled amount of heat per damage point added

6. flasche

so its the same just with a fixed value and not per weapon, excuse me then this makes it completely different ... :rolleyes:

7. Demented

Demented Member

Idea 1: Ignore the Bio Diesel engine.
    Idea 2: Never stop spamming artillery.
    Idea 3: Load up as many weapons as possible and shotgun the crap out of everything you see. Retreating? We don't need no stinking retreating when we've got 2 CNs, 2 MLs, and a DUMGUN!
    Idea 4: My commander hasn't researched an engine. But that's okay. We just stand around hitting eachother from across this chokepoint anyway.

8. o_O

o_O Member

So I could roll up a standard engine heavy, fire every weapon I have until the enemy dies, then get out and repair while the tank disperses 400 heat.

9. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

This is pretty much the problem with this idea.

10. zenarion

zenarion Member

Artillery since the dawn of time only has been limited by the reload times of the machinery on firing speed.
    Weapons carried are limited by the tank chassis and weight.
    Standing at a chokepoint and shooting at other tanks is tank gameplay most often than not.
    Have BioDiesel still work between conditions B and C.

Other than that, WHEN AM i GETTING PLASMA RPG?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  11. flasche

wrong ...

12. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

yea, sure i dont think that will stick

13. Demented

Demented Member

So...
    - "Bio diesel can easily put in this". I'm glad to hear it, whatever that means. Presumably, an engine that lets you both drive and shoot while overheated is not going to be a good idea, so we'll obviously have to change at least one of those aspects.
    - Arty is overpowered... But we can't use heat to balance it for burst damage anymore. In fact, we can't do this for any weapon. We'll just have to change things so that can work.
    - Because we can't have people being unable to outmanoeuvre your tank, we'll have to disable turning while overheated. (Did you know that was possible?)
    - Not that they will be outmanoeuvring you if you use the plasma MG or plasma CN nukes, which will naturally be launched in considerable quantity by stationary tank armies at eachother in the ever-so-popular map emp_slaughtered. So let's change that too.

All this for a "small" heat change. Never.

14. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

heat today comes down to a "fun depletion" bar

get the fun bar in the red, and you are not having fun

this is a game, its primary goal is to be fun if something isnt fun (even if it makes other fun parts possible) its flawed and should be replaced by something more "fun" (that also makes the other fun parts possible like before)

all that for something that is not fun?