Sleep trouble

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Lawliet, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Lawliet

Lawliet Member

I have been having major issues sleeping during school nights. anyone have a quick fix-? I'll go into details later cause right now I'm dead tired.

2. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

MASTURBATE then go to sleep. Works for me.

3. Deiform

Deiform Member

Don't eat or drink anything 2 hours before you go to sleep. Before you go to bed, have a 20 minute break from looking at a TV or computer screen (if you're gaming, you should break it off about 40 minutes before you go to bed. HoN especially got me worked up if I lost and that would make me not relaxed at all). Exercise a bit during the day (do some situps or something). Don't have background music or noise when you're trying to go to sleep. Try not to confuse laying in your bed to get sleep with gaming or watching movies.

4. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Deif has 90% of it covered, but I do want to dispute the noise bit. Some people generally sleep better with some white noise, be it from a fan or AC unit or whatever. Not everyone, but some people certainly do.

But yeah, eating is a big one. That really keeps you up.

5. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Indica and green tea.

6. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I would cut off screen time at least an hour before your bed time.

And when it comes to bed time, enter your bed the moment you want to go to sleep. If you don't fall asleep in a few minutes (don't look at a clock, just estimate), then get up and go do something like reading, studying, cleaning, etc. When you feel tired while doing those activities, go back to your bed and repeat the process. When you get up in the morning, get the fuck out of your bed and do something.

Your bed is a place for sleep and you need to train yourself to fall asleep any time you are in your bed. You absolutely do not want to let your body think your bed is a place to be awake.

I think he was trying to imply that distracting noise is bad, e.g. music. White noise actually helps minimize distracting noise, so that can be helpful.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  7. RappemongO

RappemongO Member

Pull an allnighter, stay awake till at least 20:00 hrs the day following. I'll guarantee you'll fall asleep pretty quick.

8. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

You're listening to the wrong music. Try this.

9. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

I would argue about the music. Chances are this doesn't apply to everyone, but I personally find it easier to fall asleep to music with a slow, heavy beat. Now, my perception of slow is fairly off, because I find 120 BPM to be relatively slow, but it helps for me.

10. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

I had a problem with sleeping a few years ago. It was seriously fucking up my life, being so tired that I was unable to concentrate on work during the day. My issue was that I couldn't relax, I was constantly thinking about school, or worrying about the future, or other stuff that made it impossible to sleep.

But I found a solution that works for me and doesn't require any mental effort or training. I take a shower and lie down on my bed an hour before sleeping and listen to a good audiobook. It sounds a little silly at first, but a good story takes your mind off of shit happening in the real world.

I found that having a good narrator is important. How a story is told is more important than the story itself when you're trying to relax and get some sleep. Mistborn: The Final Empire narrated by Michael Kramer is really good.

Ever since, I haven't had any problems with sleeping. It comes naturally after an hour or so. When I start feeling tired I just put my iPod away and fall asleep. This is probably the one thing that's improved my life most drastically over the last year.

11. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Like me! Partly it's because I have tinnitus, which is a persistent auditory hallucination where you hear a constant ringing noise in your ears, though mine feels more like screaming honestly, the white noise drowns that out. And partly it is because I have spend so much time around computers that it feels weird not to have the hum of the fan in the background.

Mostly the tinnitus though, but I do find it helps to have some sound to focus on anyway, even if I'm not having the ringing for some reason.

12. Trickster

Yeah, if you're thinking too much you can't sleep. It's important to be able to actually switch off and stop thinking about stuff, otherwise your brain is just way too active to fall asleep.

13. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Reading between the lines this is what i got:

14. Trickster

I'm not lying when I say I lost hours and hours of sleep over Empires. Since the patch came out I can honestly say I've been so much less stressed out, and I've found sleeping a bit easier. The 18 months before the patch were pretty stressful. I can't describe how much of a relief it was to actually get the patch out and take the weight off our shoulders.

15. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Its sad but I enjoy watching lectures or documentaries on youtube about particle physics, astronomy/cosmology and such

16. complete_

complete_ lamer

im a guy that takes about an hour of lying in bed to fall asleep (also i woke up at 2pm today i suck). the trick is to read and calm yourself if you were doing any mental or physical stimulation. or like jephir said
    who needs audiobooks when you have millions of amateur podcasts

17. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

Turn off your PC/laptop.

Don't eat after 6pm.

Avoid caffeine after mid day.

Don't try and watch tv in bed.

Listen to audiobooks of books you've already read/heard.

Diphenhydramine Hexachloride. Be careful or the spiders will get you.

Yeah, masturbate and then go straight to bed once you've cleaned up, assuming you clean up at all.

Most important thing is routine.

Source: I've been battling insomnia for the latter half of my life.

18. Lawliet

Lawliet Member

Usually I have 2 issues.

1) I can get to sleep no problem. I wake up after 3-4 hours and cannot sleep for the rest of the night.
    2) I can't sleep at all.

I have a fan in my room. If my AC was installed I wouldn't usually have this problem.

I'll take everyone's suggestions into account tonight. Thanks for the advice guys. I have tried things like melatonin but those only knock me out for the first few hours of sleep.

19. complete_

complete_ lamer

what time do you go to sleep

20. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Its about keeping a habitual schedule of sleep. Go to bed at or close to the same time all the time. Honestly speaking I used to read a book for 30-60 mins before bed. It relaxed me. When that failed... then I masturbated(that never fails).