Sitting in the second seat of an BE APC/AFV

Discussion in 'Archive' started by jragbir, Apr 12, 2010.

1. jragbir

jragbir Member

Yesterday I noticed that when sitting in the second seat of a BE APC/AFV or NF LT that the way you're looking is governed by where the driver is looking. So say the driver is looking straight ahead and the person riding shotgun is looking left, if the driver where to look left the person on top would now be looking towards the rear of the vehicle. This obviously makes it really difficult to aim and pretty much makes the second seat worthless unless ur just dropping mines.

i brought it up to scardy and he said that it was the same in the current empires and i honestly couldnt remember (i havent been playing much empires lately), but i was just in a game and I can confirm that its not like this in the the current empires. you can look around fine in the top seat easily.

so whats up with this?

2. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

Not a bug... even if it is not that way in 2.24, it was in 2.12 (and im quite sure 2.2 and 2.21), if the driver turns the turret you cant still be looking in the same direction, thats just ... logic ... :rolleyes:
    there was a bug in 2.24 about the second seat were instead the turret moves the second seat, the guy in the second seat were able to move the tank :x
    maybe related?
    Anyway i like it more this way, now after apc spawns are free second seat of be apc is more worth so a bit nerf cant do any dmg ...

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  3. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

It's however bugged that when you fire your RPG/Mortar/Grenades, they follow the turret's direction in a way.

4. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

I think that's just momentum

5. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Nope, I'm pretty sure that's the way it is.. Try to move the turret to the left and then throw grenades while in 2nd slot.

Can't test right now, due annoying virus that Alt-Tabs me out of every program every 5 minutes.

6. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

In 2.25 you can change it with 1 edit of scripts. The bigger issue is that for some chassis 2nd seat isn't exactly at the middle of the turret so it'd look like passenger is colliding with the turret.

Movement in 2nd seat is less jerky in 2.25 but it's still related to turret's movement.

7. spellman23

spellman23 Member

Been this for a looooooong time.

This typically makes 2nd seat only good for nade spam or a really good rifle/rpg guy and a driver who knows NOT TO TURN HAPHAZARDLY!

Not sure where I stand on this though. I kinda would like 2nd seat to be used more, but at the same time we don't want snipers running around in APCs.

8. petemyster

petemyster Member

While we're on the topic of 2nd seat passengers (not a bug), I don't know if its in 2.25, but I think that being in the 2nd seat should give the infantry man prone accuracy, instead of crouching with an HMG. I noticed when I was playing 2.24 that if you have a HMG it is useless as a passenger because the spread is insane.

I can see why having prone accuracy could be very bad with an HMG ontop for balance, but the weapon is basically unusable even with accuracy upgrade.

9. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i say we should make it so the turrets vision does not affect the one in the turret

its just not fun and makes being useful in the turret even more difficult

one could take note that some tanks have the turret in a way that the place where the person pops out of the hatch turns counter wise to the turrets turn as to not mess up his orientation

some tanks even have the hatch be at the centre of the turret and only be connected to the main chassis, so any turret rotation is ignored (i believe some ww2 tank did this)

10. Kamber

Kamber Member

according to the change logs on the empires wiki, this was added in 1.08 rc 25.(its the 6th one from the bottom of the rc25 list)

11. jragbir

jragbir Member

I have to agree with blizzard, being the second seat is just asking to be picked off by a vehicle mg or riflemen. its too damn hard to aim at anything.

When i drive a vehicle i look around alot and be aware of scouts try to sneak by or riflemen sticky rushing, and thats how everyone should be playing.

Its perfect the way it is in 2.24d and it just makes for bad gameplay if it turns out to be this way in 2.25.

12. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

i'd much prefer to be freeballin in the second seat

edit: hulk was tellin me about this, you gotta change that, second seat will be useless if you cant aim for shit, think of it as an independent suspension thing for the seat, like gyros and shit.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010