show turret fire radius in turret build placement

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by OuNin, Apr 23, 2010.

1. OuNin

OuNin Member

When an engineer places a structure, the engineer should see a circular area representing the effective radius of the turret/camera/radar placed.

also, possibly, players should be able to toggle seeing the range of friendly turrets on the minimap (to encourage using turrets in defensive pushes) an maybe on the main HUD.

2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

uhm i think this is something you should learn by playing. for me this falls into the "learn how to use your weapons" category ...

3. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

If something like the way it's done in TF2 could be made, I like.

4. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Agreed with the original suggestion.

5. OuNin

OuNin Member

I'd like it if it lingered, and you could see friendly turrets' radii. With that, you would know what area would be safe to retreat to, or where you could draw enemies.

6. flasche

this is whats called battlefield awareness ... dont dumb down the game :o

we dont need to hint everyone with everything - sigh

"this is an enemy player, you might want to consider using your weapon against him"

7. OuNin

OuNin Member

battlefield awareness is having an idea of where friendly and enemy units are distributed in the local and whole battlespace.

having some more information to intelligently place a turret. it isn't dumbing down the game.

By your logic, we should remove commander attack orders, which already dumb down the game.

8. Empty

Empty Member

TF2 styled range indication for sentries plx.

9. OuNin

OuNin Member

okay, look at take armed asssault 2 and operation flashpoint 2.

now, tell me that more information is dumbing down the game.

10. flasche

wow you understand me, maybe my consistency in suggesting and replying finally pays of :eek:

yes, id love them to be gone. they dumb down the game and are wall hacks (ofc this only counts for mass targets - cameras and enh senses are ok)

11. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

with respect, flasche but from everything you ever said on this forum that i can remember from the top of my head i believe this is the dumbest

still makes you above average on smartness though

you could just remove crosshaor for all infantry weapons and let people "learn" where there bullets go, and in effect it would work because some rare games actually do that, but for gaming it would widen the gap between advanced players and new players to the extent that when you get into this game as a new player the first 20 hours or so of game-time will be very good at scaring you away

12. flasche

thats not even remotely the same, but i can understand where you come from.
    anyway, with this in mind, ok if you really think this is sooo super helpful, then show turret radius when building, but not later on and permanently to "pull" enemies into them ...

btw, why dont you show the mortar arch or the ones for cannon shells too? that would be more similar imo. and please, this is not meant as suggestion ...

thats another thing you just have to learn to play the game effectively. where do we come to if learning and finding out things on your own (by whatever means, this can be reading too) is no fun anymore? dumbness, and i already feel that our whole civilizations getting dumbed down more and more ...

you dont have to spoonfeed everthing to everyone everywhere. ppl should be thinking and drawing conclusions on their own. they should search for information and read or use trial and error - this is what intelligence is all about. thats why i consider this dumbing down the game ...

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  13. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

Well along with this thread, don't the turrets have 2 radii, the first one that is the lock on radius then a second one that stays locked on to the player which then becomes the actual fire range?

14. Empty

Empty Member

Nope.
    They just sometimes lock onto players but cant hit them due to LoS.

Probably a client interpolation error that got kept because it just looks cool.

15. Demented

Demented Member

They use the player's 'eyes' to determine LoS for locking on, but use the player's center of mass to determine LoS for firing. Or something like that. I'm not sure what the intended or wanted functionality is that would create this odd combination.

16. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

seems kinda stupid now i think of it, why would a turret look at you but not fire?

17. Empty

Empty Member

It's certainly helpful as an engy, it's basically a big arrow saying "THE FUCKERS OVER THERE"

18. arklansman

arklansman Member

Guesstimation is an important part of Empires.

:rolleyes:

19. Omneh

Omneh Member

wow, just... wow.

20. flasche

then implement a marker where your mortar hits too ... :rolleyes: