Show join squad menu before select spawn screen

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Andariel, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Andariel

Andariel Member

Well as the topic says, i think the squad selection screen should be shown before the select spawn screen, imho it should be even shown before the select class screen but that could make it a bit too easy for newbs

This is born out of my anger to join a game, auto and be in a team without a single squad but 2 full squads in players

Pro: more expeirenced players and vets dont need to repeat senseless over and over "press c to join squad for free upgrade and bonus points, press c to join...."

Con: Newbs make more points?

2. DeadlyDad

DeadlyDad Member

I fully agree. The screens should pop up in order as you join the server:
    1. Choose team
    2. Choose squad
    3. Choose class
    4. Choose commander
    5. Choose spawn (Not necessary on game start. Whenever there is only one spawn, it should be automatically chosen.)

3. Reef

Reef Member

DeadlyDad's order is good. We always have to cancel class menu and commander menu, then use squad menu, use class menu, use commander menu and use spawn menu.
    Joining a game could be a bit easier.
    (btw the whole thing seems to be client-side)

Suggested con is ridiciolous, strike it out.
    Only con is coding time, but it's worth it.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  4. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

The Con would be too many screens and unnecessary.

5. Reef

Reef Member

Which of those screens You don't have to use to join the game?
    1. Choose team - You have to choose one to play...
    2. Choose squad - You need do choose squad to have a free skillpoint
    3. Choose class - You have to choose one to play...
    4. Choose commander - we want people to choose commanders, don't we
    5. Choose spawn - at start there is only one spawn -> no menu

Currently we have 4 menus at join (team, class, comm, spawn) and You didn't complain about it. Now we will still have 4 menus at join, but they be more usefull, but You say "no! don't implement that, because 4 new screens is more than 4 old screens and we don't need all those to choose needed stuff anyway!". Lets use the console instead of menus, ftw?

6. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

I agree. Then we could get rid of the free squad point. :) JK...a little

7. FalconX

FalconX Developer

I would argue for choosing the commander showing up second, after team selection, because its use is somewhat specific. After the commander voting is over, it doesn't really matter (and thus shouldn't show up anyway), and it's more time-limited than picking squad and class.

Additionally, at start the spawn screen should absolutely show, with the only spawn available pre-selected. This way you get a quick glance of the map, your starting location, and it's position relative to everything else, rather than spawning and having no idea where everything is.

8. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

One menu with the spawn map in the middle, the team selection on top, the squad menu on the left and the skill menu on the right would be enough.

Everything AT THE SAME PLACE.

9. Reef

Reef Member

If You want to see the map, press m.
    I know how the maps look like and don't want to click the screen out everytime I join the server.

10. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

I actually don't remember saying that. I agree that the squad screen should be displayed, I just wanted to be honest and say that the con would be that there are already a lot of screens on start up.

The best option would be some condensed screens.

11. Reef

Reef Member

You missed a fact that DeadlyDad suggested removing the spawn screen. Your fault ;)

About "condensed screens"... Could You draw a picture? hint: this is not possible without redesigning the whole menu system and removing descriptions and pictures.
    We don't have dev's time to do that, aircrafts are waiting.

I suggest that we stick to the original plan and leave the "condensed screen" option as an alternative.

12. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

I study product design and have enough experience with the whole 2D computer grafic stuff. At the moment i have to much work for school to do, but in like two month i could think about making some gui stuff and post it here. :)

13. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Choose commander should be after choose class, otherwise you'd spawn without an assigned class, which probably means you crash, maybe even the server, and the CV might be unusuable.