Should research cost resources?

Discussion in 'General' started by aaaaaa50, Oct 30, 2011.

1. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

Research is already limited in that you can only choose one node at a time and each node takes minutes to complete. Why complicate that with resources?

2. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Because 3 minutes for a weapon that clears out all infantry in a huge area is OP?

3. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

What kind of suggestions is this? With what cash are the scientist going to use to conduct their research, and it's what makes a game a game, challenge.

4. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

Shouldn't actually making the nuke be the prohibitive expense?

5. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Taking away research cost would kill alot of strategy and give commanders even less to think about. I like it how it is

6. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

There is no researching, supposedly everything is already researched. Your com uses the radar to download the tech from HQ. Some tech is larger then others. (someone tell these guys how to compress files using 7z)

7. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Then you have to pay for the internet connection, even if two empires are clashing together, their ISPs got them by the balls.

8. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Funnily enough, I planned to remove resources from research, balancing it purely with time is much easier. It also stops teams getting behind on research, which can end the game prematurely but drag it out. So don't all hate on the OP just because he's known for bad suggestions, because this one is good, even if it's already planned.

9. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

Suggestion forum is that way ---->

10. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

+1 for removing research cost.

Where is it stated that this was already planned? I don't remember reading that. If it wasn't posted there needs to be a public planned things to do list. Since the suggestions "under consideration" area doesn't tell us what you accepted or came up with yourselves.

11. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Research already takes forever, the slow commanders who aren't used to the interface will get yelled at even more for not navigating the research tree in milliseconds, and making the team that wasted the three precious seconds implode on itself in ragequittospec and eth0 + hsm + apwall level of rage.

What's next, microtransactions? for $5 to the dev team you get a research boost that multiplies your research speed by 150% for 24 hours.

12. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

How am I "known" for bad suggestions? That implies that there's some kind of discussion about who makes good or bad suggestions, but unless it's hidden in the developer forums this is basically just you stating your opinion about my suggestions. Besides, it doesn't matter if an idea is good or bad if we have fun discussing it! Here's three silly suggestions that caused absolutely nothing regrettable to happen. ^^

Besides, I was the big advocate for the current skill-point progression, (0-10-20-30), which has improved absolutely the enjoyability factor for all players in all Empires games ever since it was implemented. Not that anyone remembers or cares about it, since it's easy to not notice. Basically though, I had a good suggestion and I helped make it happen sooner than never. That will always make me just a little bit happy. :)

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  13. Lawliet

Lawliet Member

Research is the only way to distinguish incompetent commanders from amazing ones *Headshotmaster, Walmart, Axeman*, etc...* If they are too retarded to research correctly then their team can pay. Lassiez-Farre bitch. Even more true since targets were needlessly removed.

14. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Lawliet, this is the 2nd post that isn't you.

15. Lawliet

Lawliet Member

Am I scitzophrenic now?

16. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Yes, yes it should.

17. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

The real Lawliet probably can't spell schizophrenic either. This guy has done his research.