Should I bother?

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by my_fat_monkey, Jan 3, 2010.

1. my_fat_monkey

my_fat_monkey Oh you're my sister!

Right now I'm mapping a map (hurr durr) with a town in the middle, surrounded by desert. I've done 2 buildings....

My point is, it's taken me 2 weeks to do 2 buildings out of a TOWN (30+ buildings). Should I even bother? I mean really....... This map would take about 1/4 this year at the rate I'm going.......

Bloody buildings.....

PS: Yes I mean buildings not boxes with painted windows and doors....

2. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

the problem with that is that there is a brush limit

compile the 2 buildings, and see howmuch brushes you have devide that number by 2 (2 buildings) and multiply it by 20, then check the limit, and see how close you are to it

then take into account another 10% for displacements and other various stuff

if you went over the brush limit (like, not even "close" to just passing over it) dont bother

3. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Screenshoots of the buildings please! :D

4. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

feel free to contact any of us mappers, i'm sure you'll find at least someone that'll help ya out

5. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

You have to consider that players will not use all the buildings IN the town but only some that have key strategic uses, such as a roof rax or a vantage point. Do not simply make 30 buildings and find out only the ones on the very sides are used and in the middle portion are used. It is kind of directing the forces, players would want to fight it out in the open area where they can see the enemy, and take cover around that open area, so THAT is where you place open buildings, in places that are going to be scarce of players(such as darker areas of town, areas where hardly anyone actually goes because of its environment, and also areas of great disadvantage, such as a choke) these places you would place box buildings with painted windows, BUT, these buildings players utilize in other ways, they use the roof, so you'd want ladders going to the roof where they can set up, not a rax, but an armory/ammunition box area, with cameras and radars. Note also that Players like vehicles and would take their vehicles to fight in the open instead of taking the more sinister routes where there could be mines, or a scout with sticky stun and a rifleman with sticky nades. The roof mongers would also utilize the advantage of heavy machine guns or mortar/rpg.

Now this IS your map, and you can do whatever you like with it, but I find building 30 buildings with interiors won't reap much of an amazing outcome. You should sit down and spectate a game of cyclopean or urbanchaos(which are related to your concept) and see where the majority of the players are, and by players I mean engineers, grens, and riflemen. Do not consider scouts much because they are played differently, BUT, consider what a scout would do in an urban area.