shotguns for engis/scouts

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by inferno, Feb 5, 2012.

1. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

cant deny that, its just when you hear shotgun and hl2mod you dont immediatly think slugs - wouldnt be very unique either, its bascially a damn high caliber rifle then.
    but yes, rather a shotgun as an quite niche weapon, then a scoped rifle.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  2. TheLiberalElitist

TheLiberalElitist Member

This is the idea I had for a NF shotgun, lever action, I got the pic from Fallout New Vegas. I like this design I would change the hammer design and barrel, but nah....

[​IMG]

and Brenodi Empire
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  3. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

BE one looks goddamn pimp

4. flasche

i like the nf one - but i also like the one vess designed ...

5. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

My idea was a bit weird I guess, but it stems from gameplay rather than looks.

The issue for me personally was that shotguns were either useless or overpowered. To make them useful at mid-range you'd have to make them super powerful at short range. And if they weren't useful at mid-range, then they'd never get used on any map except district and other tiny maps like that. So I had these ideas:

Firstly, both shotguns have to be pump/lever, otherwise they become hideously OP. So the NF shotgun would be lever action, and you'd load the rounds as you go. Say it can carry 8 shells. But if you swap what you're loading it with, you can change to slugs. You could therefore pop a slug in to aim for someone at range, then go back to regular shotgun usage. The BE shotgun would be a pump action, with a silencer-style barrel extension. Adding it on decreases the spread, but increases range.

It might seem overcomplicated but I believe the gameplay aspects are correct with respect on how the shotgun should be in terms of functionality. They have to be usable at both short and mid range, without being overpowered at both, and the only way I can think of doing that is to give the shotguns a separate option for each range, thus we balance them individually.

6. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

O_o

You need to spend less time in the Suggestion section. Next, you'll be arguing for swords and a strategic flower picking mechanic.

7. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Permission to fucking insult spartacus?

8. Trickster

I always wanted an underslung harpoon launcher.

But my ideas for the way they work there might be sucky, I just care about the functionality, that they operate in 2 different ways for 2 different ranges, and they have a slow rate of fire, i.e. pump/lever action. How that's implemented is another matter and one I'm considerably less opinionated on.

9. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Lever action? Ability to switch between shells/slugs? Looks like it was taken straight out of the 1880's? Usable by NF?

I think I'm just about to faint here from how much I'd love that.

10. ImSpartacus

I'm just surprised to hear something like that from you, but I'm sure there are equally interesting ideas lurking in that grey matter. Out of curiosity, is there already code and hud support for multiple ammos?

I love the visceral feeling that comes from wielding a powerful low RoF weapon with incredible sounds. I personally love the Halo 3 shotgun; it's distinctive and intimidating.

But ultimately, I don't think Empires would be a good game for shotguns. Empires is best in mid-range combat and shotguns would only be shoehorned into the mid-range.

11. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

What shoehorning? Shotgun slugs are a common ammunition type that readily increase the range of shotgun use. In fact, for hunting game with a shotgun, it's recommended to use slugs because the shot from the shells gets all up in your meat and then you really risk lead poisoning, not to mention it's a bitch to get out. You only use shells when you don't intend to eat what you're killing, like bird hunting and with squirrel guns.

12. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Large super magnet to pull those shots out.(unless they really are lead... although I doubt it for shotguns. Why use a soft metal if its a ball?) :)

13. flasche

lead was/is used bc of its mass - idk if its still used though, hopefully not for deer hunting. there are two ways of increasing the kinetic energy - one is to increase velocity the other mass.
    for penetration hardness and profile of the projectile are more relevant then T, but thats not what shotguns are for, they are to deliver stopping power. what use is a through and through bullet wound if its in a place where it lets the deer escape?

14. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

One shot giving the target 6-27 open wounds would tend to be debilitating enough to track it down easy if it managed to get a few feet away, that is if it didn't out right die on the spot.

15. flasche

oh misunderstanding, i just meant why lead was used in firearms in general, not shotguns in particular. i have not much clue about weaponry, irl im quite pacifist.
    the above was only first grade physics and some guessing ^^

16. ImSpartacus

Video game shotguns don't use slugs.

We're working on more than ten years of shotgun knowledge. Players have an understanding of how a shotgun is supposed to work and we can't fuck with that.

I know BF3 did something with slugs, but they needed a tough projectile that could go through multiple environment layers. Empires doesn't support that kind of stuff, so slugs would be like a mediocre rifle.

Again, I'm love shotguns in video games. I just think that it would take a lot of work, in multiple areas, to fit a shotgun into the game.

17. Trickster

BF3 and BC2 both used slugs, they don't work half bad. Also, in reference to your earlier post, there's absolutely no code support for multiple ammo existent currently, or not as far as I'm aware, I'm just blue-sky thinking.

18. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

I really like your idea with slugs Trickster. You don't need multiple ammunition types though: Pressing secondary fire could have the avatar empty the shotgun and then begin reloading. Your ammo count would stay same (since we all have magical ammunition,) and all the code would have to do is show your ammo count increase as you take the shells/slugs out and decrease again as you reload.... which is still probably horrendously complicated. Better idea: pressing the secondary fire makes your shotgun shoot calculator sparks out and maybe fancy animation something-or-other as it converts your ammunition from one type to another.

19. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

What about a REAL shotgun that doesnt work like sawed of handcannon? The deadly range and spread is (for balance purpse) not quite realistic in most fps.

I dont really think a shotgun would be useless in empires, I understand the reasoning why people say it would be but I can imagine that I would get enough kills and a good k/d with something like a NF shooty pistol that holds 5-6 rounds. The only standard maps that would give it a hard time are duststorm and isle but both are snipefest maps anyway.

20. inferno

inferno Member

one of my threads got more than 6 replies, and an actual discussion going?

i demand nuke jeeps