Shopping Cart help

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by alucard13mmfmj, Oct 23, 2012.

1. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

Hello sirs. I havn't been around these parts of the internet since like February. And I havn't played empires for a few months, only logged on for 1-2 hour a few days ago and today.

I am here because I am looking to hire someone who has some knowledge and experience with e-commerce/shopping carts.

My friend is helping me make a online store on Zen Cart 1.5.x for a about 500 USD. It is 85% done. However, my friend doesn't have the skills to help me with this problem. Problem with Zen Cart is that it does not have pre-ordering capabilities nor have a shipping process suitable with dealing with pre-orders. There are extensions/modules/plug-ins, but there isn't anything that deals with pre-orders. I also looked at other shopping carts and they lack pre-ordering capabilities as well. Some of the other carts has extensions for pre-ordering, but usually expensive AND doesn't do what I require.

Allow me to explain what is wrong.

My store will be dealing with a lot of pre-order products, along with in-stock items. Here is an example, let's say a customer puts in his/her shopping cart: 1 instock item, 1 preorder item that is coming out in FEB 2013 and 1 preorder item that is coming out in MAY 2013. With the current shopping cart, the shipping is calculated as if the products would be shipped as one product. In reality, the products would be shipped at 3 different times. 1 immediately, 1 in FEB and 1 in MAY. Shipping price for shipping 3 items at once vs 3 items 3 separate times is way different.

Admin side would need to improve too. Some people on Zen Cart community forums say I should put 0 USD for shipping for preorder items and email people later to ask for money for shipping. Obviously, this is a huge problem if I had high volume orders and many different preorders. For example, I just got a shipment of preorder item. I would have to search the order database for orders that has that item. Then I have to look in that order for that customer for other items that would be coming out in the same month to combine shipping. THEN I have to look for other orders that that customer made to see if that customer has items coming in in the same month to also combine shipping. After all that, I have to email the customer to ask for money for shipping. Then I move onto the next order for another customer and repeat the process.

In my business, I have to put up 5-8 new pre order products in the catalogue.

----------

So I am looking to hire someone who has experience with Zen Cart or another shopping cart AND dealt with preordering issues before that could offer his or her services to me. Maybe even some minor touch up to the site.

If anyone is interested or want to know more details, let me know here.

2. -MEG- hobbes

-MEG- hobbes Member

so what is your source exactly for all of these under-aged used panties you intend to sell?

3. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

What? I didn't mentioned anything about panties. I'm done with that.

4. WalMartGreeter

WalMartGreeter Member

QFL.

<6char>

5. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

I have a feeling it's for anime products.

6. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Is there a minimum age on panties to be allowed to touch your genitals in the US?

7. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

It doesnt matter what products is it for. Regardless of what it is, I need pre-order/shipping for front end and back end of the shopping cart

8. McGyver

It's very suspicious that you don't just tell us what kind of product you sell... ^^

9. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

I guess Paradox is right. It is anime related.

Going to import Japanese goods and I have a local wholesaler that is near me where I can drive to pick up the goods (save on shipping costs, which increase profit or pass saving onto customers).

I am not quite sure what to do with the pre-order/shipping issue. So I am looking here (bastion of intellect) along with tech forums to get some suggestion or help.

10. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

The fact that he's not spamming everywhere about what he's selling means he deserves a chance. He has improved as a person.

11. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

Thanks I guess?

But in all seriousness, I require help or even paid help.

I don't know if I am missing something, but a lot of stores have preordering and split orders for shipping. I assume I'd have to hire a coder or something to do custom work eh?

12. McGyver

Haha, bastion of intellect... ^^

13. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

How far down the road are you with ZenCart? Are you principally tied to that solution becuase of time already invested or can you evaluate other options?

14. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

Hmm my friend is doing it for me for 500 USD. I paid him 100 USD so far.

If Zen Cart can be used, then I will pay my friend the full 500 USD.
    If Zen Cart wont be used, then I will pay my friend half, so 250 USD.

I could evaluate other options depending on costs and time. I am not tied to it because it has no real customer, product or order data yet.

I told me friend to halt designing to figure out a solution first.

I guess what I need is
    -the ability to split/combine orders for shipping and charge people the shipping costs accordingly.
    -charging for shipping for ONLY instock items
    -the ability to charge full deposit, charge partial deposit, or no charge for preorder items. *but not necessary*
    -some front end issues relating to pre-order as well.

Basically I am trying to make similar sites like these (caution: has anime stuff, but rated PG-13)
    http://www.hobbyfan.com/
    http://www.otacute.com/
    http://www.amiami.com/
    with similar functionality and look.

Honestly, this is my first business. I don't really know how other businesses handle preorders and preorder related issues on the back end.

15. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Looks like you are trying to use a solution which is not fit for purpose. Stop immediately and find something proven. If what you want was easily achievable then someone else with more time and money would have done it already and be reselling it.

Don't try and reinvent the wheel, even if you could; how will you get the ongoing support you need.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  16. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

Well. I did look at modules and extensions. they dont really do what i need. some is similar, but not really.

while looking around.. not getting much help from people. i found this

http://www.linnworks.com/Doc/Order_Management_fulfilment

not sure if it suits my purpose. ^^

17. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

Is selling over amazon/ebay/other not an option?

18. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

I use paypal for my cart and I know there are many custom codes for different purposes for the cart. And in the paypal developers forums you can ask for what you need and or hire one to code it for you.

19. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

I suppose it is not a paypal issue. It is probably out of my funds to hire someone to code for me lol.

It is more of splitting and combining orders. combine orders of items that are going to be released in same month. splitting orders that contain in-stock items, preorder items, and/or preorder items that are released in different months. I don't particularly mind doing it manually if it is possible, easy-click, and not as time consuming.

There are modules that allows u to remove and add items on an order. And mods that allow you to split orders once.

What I am thinking of is putting all pre-order shipping to 0 so when they check out, they wont get charged for shipping at that time if they order instock items as well. I imagine there will be a lot of use of spread sheets.. lol

People suggest I should tell customers to remember to keep pre-order items and in-stock items on separate orders. Although, making things complicated might deter customers from buying.

What cart are you using vicki? do you do preorders?

I looked on paypal forums, didnt have much information about preordering and stuffz.

20. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

having no clue about this specific solution you use, it still sounds like either you or your coder should learn about relational databases and SQL.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012