SHDSL vs ADSL

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Fooshi, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

Alright so, my local ISP said I can't get ADSL because of some stupid ass shit Telenor can't fix. However, I was offered a 2mpbs SHDSL line, since it was the only option right now.
    I did some googling and I found this. It says it has a much lower latency, but my ISP said there wont be any difference.
    Shit's expensive too. Is it worth it?
    20/5 ADSL was about the same price for the 2/2 SHDSL.

2. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

SHDSL is dedicated (only you use the wires they provide), it's symmetric, which means you have 2mb down, 2mb up, and apparently latency is good (no idea why this would be "better" than ADSL except for the overhead of going through some more switching equipment)

EDIT: Ah, it uses a different modulation scheme, which also means you can't use the line for telephone use (unlike ADSL lines)

IMPORTANT: Apparently symmetric DSL lines only work decently up to 10,000 feet so be sure to ask about the distance

Also, seeing as this is probably a business-grade connection, ask if they use a service-level agreement (SLA) (they usually do for these connections) and read it and sign it if it's beneficial enough: usually it says things like "ISP will guarantee uptime of 99.9%", "ISP will restore functionality of line within two hours of notification by user" and stuff like that, which is also a reason why these things cost more because you can enforce extra service

3. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

what drunk dude said... plus I would like to know more about why adsl won't work? too much interference in the lines?

4. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

I know I can't use a telephone while having it. We don't have a phone here, so it doesn't matter.
    I'm not entirely sure how far it is from the central to here, but it should be around 2.5, 3 ish KM, which is about 9k feet, I think. Just in borderland.
    As I hate not being connected to the internet because of some silly error, having SHDSL's priority support would do just good.

5. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

someshitDSL are just names. It all boils down to using n MHz of copper line bandwidth. For instance plain telephone calls use 4kHz while your DSL uses tens/hundreds of 4kHz bands. Then this bandwidth is split into 2 pieces: upload and download. Your final speed depends on line quality and modulation used. If possible, just test latency and bandwidth or search Internet for opinions.

Latency depends on physical distance, routing delays in your ISP, routing delays from your ISP to "general Internet". Since all DSLs work few kms away from telephone exchange they all have similar physical latency. Some ISPs might have long queues in their routers which helps fast downloads but increases latency.

They're marketing 1000mbit fiber in my ISP in my city but not where I live. They're supposed to increase availability within 1 year.