Self-building buildings that must be activated.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Inside, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Inside

Inside Member

I usually go engineer for the first part of the game, but lately I've been finding this to be a horrible drag. Building stuff is absolutely mind numbingly boring -- especially if nobody else is helping you out and the commander just dropped 20 buildings in a base.

I propose buildings that build themselves up -- roughly at the speed of one engineer with no repair upgrade. To activate self-building, the building must first be E-used with a progress bar that takes roughly as long as the scout's sab. [Perhaps self-building is activated once the building reaches 20-25% health].

The building speed can be augmented with regular e-build or an engineer. Once the building is built, it must also be activated with a similar action.

Now that I think about it, the two activation mechanics can simply just be folded into the existing building system as follows --

From a programming standpoint, the building would receive a small self-building boost from 20-95%. Get the building to 20% and then from 95-100%. That's all that's necessary to implement this idea.

Pros:
    * Fewer engineers required per team to sit at a base and touch themselves.
    * Game is more dynamic in that more people are out there doing things.

Cons:
    * Ninja raxes could be built by scouts.
    -- HOWEVER, since building is now much easier, commanders would now have to place buildings throughout areas that they control. One thing that I hate about empire is that people block off choke points and then the whole game is based around on trying to keep a single choke point locked down. Teams don't control areas, they control choke points.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  2. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

I like this.
    But not sure about the "control area", how would you check if someone controls an area, etc?

3. Inside

Inside Member

Oh no, I mean the "area controlled" is just a concept. Ie: "We have half the map" -- but do you really? No, you really don't, it's just that the enemy is not there. Plop a few turrets down, and then suddenly you really do control those parts of the map -- the enemy can't build in that area and there's active enemy deterrent.

4. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

Good idea, something absolutely has to happen regarding buildings

basically the effort at the moment is too boring to happen reliably, and that's bad for such a core mechanic.

Inside - that's what I wanted to do with moors, have teams actually need to control areas rather than just chokes... but its become apparent that no one else feels that way.... (20 specs on moors last night)

5. Inside

Inside Member

Yeah, I was there :P

6. complete_

complete_ lamer

its less that and more sabotage dot makes everything super annoying

7. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

yea, maybe the sabotage change will fix it

lotta posts about ebuild today huh... something must be awry...

8. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

no its just that time of the year again ...

9. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Inb4 all my buildings are built to 95%.

10. Inside

Inside Member

Well unless some change is made, your buildings won't even be at 20% :P