Scripts RC6 (post feedback here) & Development News

Discussion in 'General' started by Trickster, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

This is a really small RC, mostly just a revert to a few changes that didn't work out from RC5, plus a further buff to fission.

The new heats for those MGs are roughly in the middle of RC4/Steam and RC5. It should be something approaching balanced. The guidance changes have been reverted because I just don't play enough to have any opportunity to balance them finely, and given that turning ability doesn't scale linearly, that makes it impossible to mess with unless I can test it. Fission just got pushed further in terms of cooling whilst moving. Nothing else changed with it.

As I said, RC6 is a small RC. The description from the previous thread is still valid. If there is an RC7, I hope to include some of Cyberkiller's work on vehicle handling which should improve driveability under high ping.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1034763/Pu...ide Developer Scripts RC6 Rev 1 04-11-2012.7z

Posting it up in case I don't get chance to speak to Vicki, but given how minor the changes are, I don't need to pre-test them on EPIC, so pass them on to her if I don't speak to her first. I'll be putting them on EPIC pretty soon.

In other news, I've posted up a thread in the testing forums trying to track down the last few issues we have to fix. I'm getting a little concerned by how much we have to do within the next 6 weeks if we're to meet our target, so I'm in desperate need of someone to start leading the testing team, which I just can't do with my current timezone and week layout. Please check the testing forums and contribute there, because if this release drags on past Christmas, we may never actually manage to release it. It's crucial that we tie this patch up once and for all. Visit the testing forums for further information, including the progress of where we are right now.

2. Trickster

Moved to separate thread. Also bumping to keep above the RC5 thread.

3. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Kinda sucks that Machine Guns are given some sort of heat. They, for me, were always the pre-engage and post-engage peppering of the armor with little to no repercussions.

4. Trickster

That was kind of the problem. They're just way too easy to use. They're hitscan and no modifiers take any of their statistics into account, they bypass everything. They're just super simplistic to use, so I have to try and add SOME form of management to them. They already had heat, I just increased it a bit. MGs should be used in support, not as a primary. They have the incredible range, able to deal damage at vis-distance with no travel-time. This has to come with a trade-off.

5. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

trade off... fine... make them(AT-MG's) only able to fit on an apc.

6. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Nearly noone would reasearch them then.

7. ViroMan

You don't think an army of cheap apc's(which double as mobile spawns) with AT-MG's would be a viable counter to a few expensive tanks? Depending on the res flow... an apc army could be a better decision.

8. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

No, and for a simple reason. Grenadiers.

9. ViroMan

Bah humbug, to your grenadiers.

10. Trickster

They should be theoretically, but it's very much map dependant. If the map is open then a group of APCs should be able to use their advantage in mobility (especially given the speed increase they received a few RCs ago) to outmanoeuvre the tanks, whilst using a zero-recoil MG so they never miss. On a more chokepointy map, that's probably not such a viable tactic. My overall aim with the new scripts has been to make different tactics viable in different situations. Some research will suit some maps better than others, which should give us some nice variation. Not every tactic will work on every map. Or so I hope anyway. I think I've reached a pretty good balance in RC6. Apart from vehicle handling, which I might take a stab at in the next RC, I can't see any major changes still to make. This puts me in a good position to add a couple of new weapons for the next patch, if I get time to balance them out.

11. ViroMan

Yes fix vehicle handling... lol I spinned out a few times with fusion just trying to go from stop to start while turning. It was hilarious but, frustrating.(Be heavy.)

12. Trickster

Vehicle handling hasn't changed since the stock steam scripts. It wasn't good then and it isn't good now. But I'm just saying, shit spinning out isn't my fault.

13. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

IMO fission doesn't cool fast enough when moving, but I may be biased because I was using dual ranged.

14. Trickster

I pushed it further in RC6, but if it needs to go even further, then I'll do that. But I think it's already the equivalent cooling of Advanced Coolant (when stationary with Coolant), so I'm not sure how much further I can push it.

15. D.D.D. Destroyer

I'd really have to play more with fission, it was just a single game.

16. ViroMan

I know its not your fault (yet) just giving an example of how crap it is.

17. D.D.D. Destroyer

Gas turbine is awesome on heavies, you can just keep firing when on the frontline because each time you lose a little armour you get a little extra heat capacity/cool down a little.

18. Trickster

Err Gas Turbine doesn't do that, that's Absorbant armour. Gas Turbine gives you extra horsepower as you lose armour/hull.

19. D.D.D. Destroyer

Woops, well. The combo works really good though :P

20. D.D.D. Destroyer

A mine can't blast through 3 plates of regen. BEAFV stamp of approval.