Script question

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mashav, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Mashav

Mashav Member

As a pet project, I'm attempting to modify the scripts to somewhat attempt this for a single tree.

So right off the bat, I ran into a couple problems...

1: Its not possible to make one research open another one right?
    2: Its also not possible to make one research replace another? Like UGML replacing GML.
    3:Whats the functional difference between "Vehicle Engines" and "Vehicle Engines Scaled"? There's just tank engines instead of specific for the scaled, but is Scaled even used?
    4: After changing the weapons, armour and research(removing all research,weapons and armour besides my altered ones) empires crashes. It starts up, goes to the loading screen, then exits. Is there a specific thing that causes this?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  2. Drag

Drag Member

As indicated in my response to your post about the 5 tiered research system there are a couple of problems with the current research tree limiting the amount of stuff you can do a lot.

1. Research items can only be opened via the commander clicking on it, its as simple as that. You can't open 2 researches with the same "click".

2. Researches can't be made to replace each other, I have already asked a coder for that.

3. Unless there is some horrible mess in the code the scaled.txt is long obsolete but I'll inquire about it some time. Ignore it for now.

4. Ah yes, welcome to my world of hurt. When empires starts it preloads nearly all script files and checks them. So if there is, for example, a chassis script file that has "Research" "Upgraded Chassis" in it, the game will actually check in the research_items.txt for that particular item. If it isn't found CRASH.

Things will also crash if you forget a } or a "

3. Mashav

Mashav Member

Hmmm... Well.... That's horrible.... I think I'll put this off for awhile then...

You have my pity and thanks for attempting to deal with that...

4. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

quick follow up question exactly what is it that makes mk2 become available?

5. Mashav

Mashav Member

Do you mean the research? Upgraded Chassis.

6. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

You could message me if you wanted with the scripts, and I'll see if I can find anything wrong. I have fun with this scripting stuffs.

7. Killersteel

Killersteel Member

I'd actually enjoy some modification to this, if it were at all possible for the team to write a module to allow some stretching of the code, possible script changes, hell we could probably solve the flying problem by allowing modification xD, or is that a core problem...? Since this is based off of Source though, I'd say look into the Gunship and Dropship code if you can, since their flying doesn't seem simulated, or run through AI.

8. spellman23

spellman23 Member

It's Source being stupid with its vehicle code and physics.

Eternal Silence wrote their own vehicle code to make their spaceships fly properly.