Scout Rifle compromise

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by -=SIP=-, Jul 6, 2010.

?

Do you like this suggestion (for details see below)?

1. Yes, I can live with these changes

22.2%
  2. No, see my comments

16.7%
  3. Go away with that compromise. Only my opinion is right.

61.1%
  1. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Changes:

Hide changes:
    - Scout will lose hide, when he uses the scout rifle.
    - Scout will be never 100% invisible (even when touching 3+ walls)

Scout Rifle should be buffed:
    Damage 50 --> 60 (+20%)
    Falloff 2400 --> 2880 (+20%) Falloff seems to be already at 5000

Some weapons should be switched:
    Engineer: Remove SMG2
    Rifleman: Remove Shotty/Pistol2
    Scout: Remove SMG1, Add Shotty/Pistol2

Scout should have initial speed upgrade

The main idea behind these chances is to find a compromise for the scout rifle and to give the scout a new function as fast close distance fighter (like in TF2).

> I think most of you will agree with the hide changes.

> The buff of the scout rifle is for the people who see the scout as sniper class. Personally I don't like this but at a compromise you have to give every side something.

> The SMG weapon switch should boost the scout as close distance fighter. Also this will allow to balance engineer and scout separately.
    And rifleman is already very effective at killing infantry. The removal of Shotty/Pistol2 won't hurt his effectiveness much but gives other classes like grenadier and now also scout a better change to counter.

> And of course the speed upgrade should also boost the scout as close distance fighter. Scout could be the first ones at choke points and kill the enemy engineers. They would also be more effective with their sticky stuns at slow vehicles like standard engine APCs.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  2. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

This is a hack-job. It's a shitty fix and it's what empires has been using for the last 2 years. We don't need any more.

Falloff is already 5000, more than your buff even.

This is stupid. There isn't a single reason for any of these. The only slightly useful thing (yet another hack-job fix) is giving the scout the shotty pistol, but that only covers NF. So no, these are retarded.

He still has the scout rifle, so he is not a close quarters fighter.

I do not agree with the hide changes, because they are a shitty way of doing things. Another crappy nonsensical fix, like making RPGs not damage buildings. It makes no sense.

He still has the scout rifle, and SMG1 is still relatively close quarters. There is no reason Rifleman shouldn't have pistol2. His job is to kill infantry.

Speed upgrade...well, whatever. That doesn't make much sense, but I doubt it would really affect the scout that much, so I don't really care about it.

All in all, a bunch of either hack-job shitty fixes, rather than tackling the big problem, or just bad ideas as a whole. 2/10, would not use seller again.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  3. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

And what about stacking speedgrades? The scout would have like 40-50% speed(whatever the values are) so he can run across the map in seconds.

4. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

When my calculation is correct it speed upgrade makes you about 13% faster. So I don't think that 2 x 13% will be too fast. Tanks will be still much faster.

5. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Oh i see they lowered the skill value for 2.26, unless if the skill tool tip is lying to me. Ok full support for this.

6. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

lol seems a lot of people compare empires scout with TF2 scout. i agree that scout should have some kind of increase traveling speed. how about 10% increase in sprint speed? so even if there was some stacking, it wouldnt be too bad.

7. Empty

Empty Member

The 13% increase in speed from speed upgrade still makes you go a LOT faster.

8. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

I don't see why this should be a hack-job. People will receive a visual feedback and therefore they will notice the change immediately. Or was someone confused why you lose hide while standing, shooting or throwing grenades but not at melee?
    And it's a very easy solution to solve the issue that sniper scouts are hard to find (cameras, commander targets).

A better solution of course would be a shotgun for the scout. But it could take many years till forever until someone makes one. Therefore the shotty/pistol2 is a sufficient replacement for this. And as far as I know you balanced the pistol2 in that way, that it is as useful in close distance fights like the shotty.

You know that many people will cry if the scout rifle will be removed. Therefore the compromise is that player can choose if he wants to play the scout as sniper, TF2 scout or sabotage-scout.

See my comment above. You get a visual feedback and because of this it can't be compared with the RPG damage to buildings.

Currently the SMGs are not that different. But with the split to engineer and scout it will be possible to balance both classes much better at infantry fights. If the e-build experiment fails making SMG1s weaker could also be a possibility to lower the dominance of engineers without touching the scout.
    And of course it's the job of the rifleman to kill infantry. Only the niche of close distance fights should be moved to the scout.

9. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Vlamnire was trying to make a way that a noscoped scout rifle had the accuracy of a shot gun but if you zoomed in it would be accurate, especially if you crouch. So you don't get those noscoping scouts that are always racking up kills that way.

10. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

I can't stand any of SIP's suggestions, and this one hasn't disappointed.

11. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Hide should just make it so you don't get seen by turrets or cameras.. But stay visable. Maybe even be un target able or if you crouch for a few seconds it gets rid of the target.. And Radar stealth should make ML's not target your tank.. Maybe we can make this a great tank driving class as well.

12. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

how about reduce sway of sniper rifle by making the scout to prone and put down a bipod? the advantage would be no swaying.. but disadvantage would be that it would require 2-3 seconds to put away the bi-pod and vulnerable to attack during that time?

13. War Man

War Man Member

Or make it, 1 shot to the head, 2-3 to the body depending if the target has health upgrade or not. Give scouts the shot-pistol for NF or machine/burst pistol for BE as an option I agree with.

14. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

i dun know if anyone else notices, but scout sniper rifle seems to have a bipod under it that is folded up. how about make it not sway when its deployed BUT it takes 2-3 seconds to deploy and also 2-3 seconds to undeploy. during that time, the scout cannot attack or do anything and is vulnerable to attack

15. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

I like the idea, kind of like insurgency. And the bipod should limit its turn distance.

16. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

hmm yes the turning distance would be nice trade off too. the only thing is that, from what ive been reading on other threads. its currently impossible to include new animation.. so thats a bummer =(. it would give the scout better range capabilities, but trade off is when someone attacks the scout from the flanks or up close, scout is probably dead meat. hmmm yes, there doesnt seem to be much that can be done in terms of anything that involves animation *refers to reload speed thread*