Scout Ninja- opposed to sniper.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Pyro Paul, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Pyro Paul

Pyro Paul Member

We all know there is some what of a Lacking option for a Scout to choose other than sniper. And rarely do you see a scout using any weapon other than the sniper rifle. how ever, some ideas in other threads got me to thinking about a way to balance this out other than Nerfing the Scout rifle.

Infilitrator. basicly Ninja.
    by picking the SMG weapon your automaticly given a small pda gameboy thingy. this device allows you to hack enemy buildings and structures. by hacking you gain 1 point for each hack you do. How ever, you only have enough ammo(battery) for 5 hacks.

also a list of new abilities to help them in this ninja role
    EM Cloaking- When crouching it is harder for a turret to see you. Basicly its 'engage' area for You is cut depending on how good your cover is. if you hide next to a wall, like stealth, you become nearly perfectly invisable to the gun and its detection range is basicly you touching it. in the open its detection range for You is cut in have
    Fire wire Uplink- Hacking connections come 5%-10% faster.

Hacking-
    using the PID(personal infiltration device) you hack into any enemy building. the options from there varry from building to building. To hack simply stand close to the structure and use the device like a gun. a progress bar will appear showing when you have connection. when you have a connection using secondary fire you can enter your PDA options menu allowing you to effect the building.

Buildings and effects:
    Res node-
    turn off (1 minute) resource is cut for 1 minute.
    transfer (30 seconds) Resorce is deposited to Your team for a short while.
    Barracks-
    Turn off- (30 seconds) temporarly turns this spawn point off.
    Armory-
    Turn off- (1 minute) structure does not give ammo or health
    Tainted supplies- (30 seconds) boxs do 5 damage when used. (non fatal- reduces health down to 50%)
    Vehical factory- (same applies for aircraft production place)
    Turn off- (60 seconds) like above.
    Reprogram- (30 seconds) disallows usage of customized vehicals.
    Rewire- (30 seconds) disallows production of any upgraded chassis vehicals.
    Radar-
    Network scramble- (30 seconds) Research is frozen
    Virus upload- (3 minutes) Research time is doubled
    Data Hack- Cancels current research.
    Repair bay-
    Reprogram- (30 seconds) Hurts vehicals.
    Turn off- (2 minutes)

also certian hack options should require more time to achieve (like Reprogram or rewire) and should also give more points. as a basic rule of thumb, For every 30 seconds the building is effected you get 1 point.

suggestions, comments, or anything else is welcome

Last edited: Sep 27, 2006
  2. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

i like the idea of having the scout class more about being a ninja. but some of these things like hacking seem "abuse-able" if thats even a word

3. katana9000

katana9000 Member

Well to me just about anything sounds better than the scout being a sniper. I do like your idea. I think some of it needs readjusting. However all-in-all it's a good idea.

4. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

im down, as long as it cant kill you, and ammo boxes give you ammo and pain.

make these 1 min, cause turning off is more useful, but same amount of time.

lovely :)

i think these times should be switched

great idea though. as katana said, anything to make the scout not a sniper is a good thing.

5. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I don't like the idea of people going scout to ninja, it will encorage people more than ever just to go off on their own in the vain or longwinded attempt to disable part of the enemy, without really working as part of the team. I hate ninjaring as it is, and although this would be extreamly rewarding, i don't think it would overall improve gameplay. It's a lovely idea though.

Its not really fair to say that the scout can't do much either; the rifleman only kills people, the grenadier attacks buildings and vehicles, and the engineer heals and builds and can destroy buildings and people a bit. well, the engineer can do quite a lot, but the difference between scout and rifleman is basically only the enguagement distance; scouts are meant to flank about and kill people from a far, (THOUGH 1 HIT KILLING AT CLOSE RANGE ANOYS PEOPLE ANY IT'S USER, KRENZO!) and the rifleman is for close assault. Any scouts on your team are damn anoying because they rarely build, and they like to go off on their own instead of defending the squad.

6. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

I agree with sandbag on this one. It wouldn't really encourage team-work, and for a quarter of the players in the game to go off ninja'ing I don't think it would add to gameplay all that much.

If this is about finding a more suitable role for the scout, then I think there are better ideas out there (real recon, with much more emphasis on intelligence about enemy movements would be my first choice).

It would be really cool to infect the enemy radar though.

7. Pyro Paul

Pyro Paul Member

but the thing about the scout is that, like all other classes, your supposed to be split between 2 choices.

Rifleman or Machine gunner.
    Engineer or Medic
    Mortar man or Anti Tank.

Scout on the other hand Only has
    Sniper.

I don't exactly see an easy way as to make scout a 'Spotter' class really asides from making them a Mobile Radar dish showing all enemies around them.

the Scout, in my oppinon, is supposed to be a split between a Sniper and a Special ops. Although yeah your right, this is Basicly telling certian people 'Don't help the team do your own thing' But by doing that they in turn Do help the team in the end. i am sure you could add more 'Hacks' which would enable them to do some quazi team work.

like a Hack on the Barracks or Vehical factory that Tracks all Troops/vehicals temporarly.

but still, They are Helping the team and in some way providing team work by slowing the enemy down so they dont get to you as fast.
    not every one that helps win a war is standing beside you rifle in hand.

8. FalconX

FalconX Developer

The scout was concieved as a recon/specops class.

9. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

have hacking be a skill (like acuracy [snipers], hide [recon], or silence [snipe/hide]) and i think it would be awsome.

10. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

currently, imo, the scout is just a long range rifleman, just like a rifleman is a short range scout.

how it should stay to keep people defending eachother in squads.

11. Al Fire 101

Al Fire 101 Member

Maybe we could allow scouts to create a very low health, but small, camp area inwhich a spawn point could arise for a short while. In other words a spawning equivilant of the ammo box for an engineer, but it would last about half the time. Could that possibly work, making it have a very low amount of health would also be needed?

12. Pyro Paul

Pyro Paul Member

The Scout isn't a Long range rifleman.

Look at the Unlock abilities.

the Scout has the unlocks of
    Increased Speed. (vehical)
    Camoflauge (infintry)
    Radar invisable (vehical)
    Silenced weapon (infitry)

these things are Not the abilities derived from a recon unit, these are abilities a Spec ops unit would use. the ability to infiltrate with out being seen and Kill silently.

Also, the weapon selection of the Scout falls as such, Sniper rifle, Smg1, Smg2. How is the Scout a Rifle man if 2/3rds of thier selection possabilities are detecated to close range combat?

13. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

I would give the Scout a scanner weapon, which enables him to see what armor, weapons, etc a vehicle has.
    He can also see what the enemy is researching by scanning the radar.
    If the Scout's team has a satellite (which should be required for Grenadier hit position skill), he can transmit info to the commander and he can use this info to distrupt enemy controls, eg reverse controls or disable the building.
    In order to avoid exploiting the Scout has to retransmit the info every x amount of time, probably every 90 seconds(1.5 minutes).
    If the Scout is within range of the radar he should be spotted as soon as he is 60% done scanning.
    Add to this if you want.

14. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

the rifleman should have to choose between short, med and long range. scouts should be a non-combat unit like the engi, execpt instead of helping the team, he hurts the enemy by means other than killing.

15. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I like the role of defending your squad from long range attacks, and i feel the skills for the scout do fit in with that, but I agree that it should really be given to the rifleman instead, because he is the A-Infantry unit.

I just don't think teams need any sort of recon dude; to be honest it won't help the team much at all. Perhaps the binoculars should have 2 zoom functions.

and when zoomed in, can you see things that you otherwise couldn't?

I don't really think the spawn box idea makes sense or would fit in, though it's not a terrible idea.

16. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

we need ways of making scouts special ops. any kind of special ops. just throw crap out and see what sticks (metaphorically). there have been some propositions, hacking and satchel charges come to my mind the fastest, but the devs are too busy coding airplanes, ironsights, and all the other cool shit, to think of ways to reinvent the scout.

17. FalconX

FalconX Developer

It'd be interesting to give the scout both recon and sabatoge role options, so, like an engineer choosing between healing and repairing, a scout would be able to choose between information gathering and sabatoge.

Figure, have scan equipment and sabatoge equipment.

18. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

as a thought, if a building were to be hacked then it could continue to show up to the comm/its friendly players as being on the same health etc as just before it was hacked (unless it died). it'd make sense from the perspective of whats being done and could give a team more time to take down an outpost thing (esp. if several scouts worked together to neutralise barracks etc)

19. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

Yes, remove the scout rifle and give him scanning equipment and some sort of a sabotage gadget backpack. :)

20. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Could even give him map roles, like the engineer builds ramps, he could hack certain things on the map aswell as using his kit for sabotage.