Scout Cliff Climb Ability

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Private Sandbag, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

Perhaps a skill, perhaps given automatically like sabotage. scouts should be able to climb cliffs.

I think this would give them a really interesting boost. it would give them a way of getting into enemy bases in a unique way, such as climbing up behind the enemy team and so on.

even better, perhaps they could have a grappling gun type thing. this could be used to secure a rope for any class to use to allow any class to go up a cliff, or could be used to throw a rope down from the top of a cliff to allow other classes up. the tactical possibilies are endless!

Cons:

more playerclip brushes needed to stop scouts climbing out of the map
    animations needed

2. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I think I'd like it more if it was mapping related, if the mapper could specify places where a scout could climb, denoted by a special overlay or something to make that area look different from the rest of the cliff face.

I think it'd be too difficult to balance if you started off with everywhere accessible and used player clip brushes to restrict movements.

3. polaski

polaski Member

instead of being able to climb just about every where like in BF2 speacial forces how about a speacial set of mosslike in sudeki the rpg where there is is cat girl character she could climb to places on special designated paths which no one else was able to get to

4. Androc

Androc Member

I'm all for the grapple gun idea. Actually, I remember the place it really struck me was those buildings in Cyclopean. Wouldn't it be fun if you could rappel up or down the sides? And, of course, the walls on any level with pre-built forts.

5. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

The easiest way to have level designers add areas for climbiong is by adding them like if they were ladders, but tied to something like emp_ladder_class, where you can specifiy which classes can climb it. (more choices mean more varieity in maps)

6. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Engi built?

Or maybe a great place for Scout Sabotage Entities?

7. Vaun

Vaun Member

some prebuilt (ladders), some scout climbing gear.

8. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

I like the prebuild ladders idea, but this scout thing would be only usefull on isle and (omg no) to climb to restricted ares of map.

9. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11 Member

im having trouble deciding if i like this or not

mainly because scouts could just climb over everything - in empires some maps have literally no walls; they could just look straight towards the enemy base and keep using climb ability - they'd never have to turn...

some people suggested specific areas you can climb - why not just make a brush entity like emp_scoutclimbable that you could put on the sides of mountains.

10. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

As long as other classes can hit them, it's no fun being grenadier(the class I'm most of the time)/Rifleman/Engineer without being able to shoot down snipers.