Scout binoculars + squad arty

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by [PRKL] Werihukka, Sep 5, 2010.

1. [PRKL] Werihukka

[PRKL] Werihukka Member

How about giving target with binoculars in your squad would give squad leader a target that could be selected from the map. Then squad artillery could be send to the given target.

2. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

Do want.
    People scouting in enemy bases can actually do more damage that way.

3. communism

communism poof

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

4. Fooshi

com fag u even play emp nmore?

5. KamakazieWatermelon

KamakazieWatermelon Banned

This idea wins 1 internet. It could also add an incentive to work together. Maybe make it so that the scout has to be in a certain radius of his squadleader to call it in. As an alternative, you could make it so that the commander has to APPROVE the arty strikes before it starts raining death.

6. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

It's been suggested and everyone liked it and then guess what... Nothing happened.

7. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

Its Overpowered

8. Fooshi

Tell me, is scout overpowered?

Also, I highly doubt there's enough communication between the squad leader and a dumb scout. i.e it will rarely be used.

9. [PRKL] Werihukka

[PRKL] Werihukka Member

Yes. It's overpowered. Now go nerf everything so nobody gets hurt. Let's just build walls and drive jeeps in our wonderful and perfect Empires universe, where all will live happily ever after shooting each other with flowers and rainbows.:|ove:

Seriously now.. Why would it be overpowerful, if scout was actually made useful to the squad? Oh, I forgot, this is Empires and nobody wants to virtually hurt co-players, because that might hurt their feelings.

FFS, stop the "It's OP"-thing already. I have had enough of that.

10. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

Scouts already have a lot of viability in squads if not only purely for their sabotage skill.

There is a lot of communication in high level squads. This will in no way make scouts any more viable in your sense of the word because scouts would only be picked as mobile homing systems that can easily end the game with a grenadier squad lead and squad arty barrage.

Essentially what you could do is have the squad farm points and send one scout with hide to find the enemy com and spot him. Then arties hit and insta stun the commander out of nowhere and die because the grenadier is using squad arty from the other side of the map.

11. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Yeah people do that already on clyclopean with out this feature..

Let's just remove the scout keep somethings but give them to other classes. I really think the binocs, sabbing, hide, and sniper rifle gotta go imo.

12. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Removing the scout would be removing content. Removing the scout rifle is one thing, but the entire scout would be a bad idea.

13. KamakazieWatermelon

KamakazieWatermelon Banned

Remove the Binoculars? Do you have Downs Syndrome? I've often picked the scout solely because of his binoculars. They are just too damn useful.

14. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I still believe there's a (good) niche for the scout... it would be more apparent if Empires didn't move ahead so jerkily - often things are 6 steps forward, 5 steps back.

15. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

It's removing unnecessary content. Really it's just a class that makes the game look and play shitty. It's a class that makes people give up on the game. I can see why so many new people would want to be a sniper on giant wide open maps. Then you got a single scout with sab basically being the most annoying unskilled feature in the game. Also the issues with hide are not hard to see.

Remove these things and you got a stripped down engineer with binocs. No features or weapons will be added anytime soon to make it a useful class. Remove it for now and bring it back later when it can fit in the game.

16. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

we can always turn scout into a heavy weapons/support guy or some other change

there is too much content in some classes while other classes have too few good things going for them (scout)

we should balance out these things evenly spread over the classes somehow

i once made a scriptset with giving (a special version of) heavy mg to the scout and taking away hide to give it to the rifleman (since i was unsure if i should "not use it")

rifleman became a pointman and a basic soldier, scout became a pointman, building stormer and an infantry ambush class

17. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

id remove the scout and split the engineers abilities to heal and repair, creating a frontline support medic and a tankdriver mechanic ...

some stuff of the scout fits both rolles quite well, so parts of it can be recycled (as long as its not the scuntrifle)

18. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Removing the scout would be a bad idea. Sabotaging enemy bases is an important game mechanism. It separates Empires from a stupid shooter. We need actions where you can be important for your team without killing enemies.

Currently searching for a scout especially on BE buildings is annoying. But there are already several suggestions to fix this:
    - Add a diamond like for the engi camera to enhanced senses
    - Don't let scout be totally invisible.
    - Add sparkles where scout has sabotaged a building.
    - Decrease damage over time for barracks, vf and radar.

For the problem with camping hidden scout snipers the easiest solution would be to remove the scout rifle. But because this doesn't seems to happen here some fixes:
    - Disable hide when scout is holding the scout rifle
    - Add a long tracer to the scout rifle (like for Q3A railgun)

And in general I would like to see the scout as fast special unit which is strong in close corner fights (think of the TF2 scout).
    The scout is already faster then other units (better stamina values). But the difference is that small, that it is not noticeable.
    - Therefore the stamina values should be buffed a lot or scout should have initial speed upgrade.
    - Give scout shotty and machine pistol
    - Until we have a shotgun model give scout the SMG2 as new weapon "Scout-SMG2" with buffed damage values but the same accuracy.

19. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Saboutage could still be preserved as an engineer mechanism, indeed, if you had an engineer and a medic class, the engineer could be given saboutage (without the instant 50% health hit) instead of decon, which could work pretty well. Regardless of that though, as i'm not really a fan of destroying the scout class, i'll generally respond to some of the ideas in your post.

[1] First and foremost, you need to make enhanced senses make the scout a walking camera for himself, and showing the enemies on the minimap for all his team to see (in his location). That would solve most of the problems with scout, scout hide and saboutage, while fulfilling the scout role utterly. I'm tempted to say it should even be an inbuilt mechanism, but that would be overpowered - if you wanted to do that, you'd have to make it as reveal on minimap only to team and self, and enhanced senses become a true mobile camera to your team.

So that's two ideas, either:
    A) Make the scout reveal enemies on the minimap (for all) and camera view to himself when taking enhanced senses, OR
    B) Make scout reveal enemies on map for the team as a default ability, and make enhanced senses turn the scout into a mobile camera (that reveals enemy scouts too).

[2] Reduce the effectiveness or change the way scout hide operates. Possibly have Empty mock up a particle that reveals the telltale sign of a cloaked scout - like a little shimmer or sparkle that passes over the troop every 8 seconds or so.

[3] Remake Radar Stealth and Hide to operate as two different camouflage skills - Make Radar Stealth have scouts immune to radar and turret targetting, in vehicles and out. And make Hide do visible camouflage, and able to operate at a low efficiency (30% transparent, or whatever looks just a little hard to see) when running normally (cancelled with sprint).

[4] Increase Stamina regeneration - SIP posted values before that showed regen was really low for scouts, they need to be 0.3-0.5x greater than default values for infantry.

[5] Scout shotty (in the works).

That's probably it. I always wanted to give the scout healing too - default slow healing would greatly help the scout be more of a team player when in the field, but I recognise it's a pretty big step that would change class dynamics.

20. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

hello ikalx :D